top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updates on progress towards Chapter 7 -- and questions/input requested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates on progress towards Chapter 7 -- and questions/input requested?

Hello, all. I am in a holding pattern regarding my Ch7 filing -- still hoping to wait until summer so I don't have to miss work. If I can make it the next 4-6 weeks without garnishment, it should all be good (as far as work!).

New information and questions!

1. The car my son has been using (a 1998 RAV4 with 200K miles) is on it's last legs. It quit, and after $800 to get it running again, the mechanic said that it will take over $2500 to fix all the issues with the car. The RAV was originally my mom's, which she gave to me to drive, which I then gave to my son when his old car died. My father (who died in 2003) gave the RAV to her, and so she wants to keep it for sentimental value and to drive in the winter when it snows.

FAMILY LOAN? -- My mom agreed to loan me $15K to purchase a reliable car for my son to drive. We found him a car and purchased it this weekend. My intent is to have her listed as a lien holder on the car title, and to have the loan terms notarized. The terms we agreed on are payments of $442 per month, 4% for 36 months, and returning the RAV to her. Is this going to be a problem for the trustee?

KEEPING THREE CARS? -- Complication -- when I called to get insurance on the the Subaru my son will drive, I was quoted $6500 per year!! [insert heart attack sounds here] So, it is going to be cheaper to keep the RAV on my insurance as my son's primary car. I also had to increase my deductibles and go to liability only on the RAV to get the rate to $3100 per year. However, keeping the RAV on my insurance means I have three cars, and I worry about the exemptions (which cover only two cars).

EXEMPTIONS? -- I am planning on getting the mechanic to write up an estimate and his opinion of the RAV's inability to be a daily driver. It is in poor condition (tear in seat, stains, dents, trailer hitch torn off -- don't ask! -- missing grill, etc.). KBB Fair value is $2775. I should have exemption left over from my house. My Camry (2001, 190K miles) in good condition should come in around $4000, and the Subaru looks like it is worth around $19K private party value -- we paid $14,500. Do you usually us trade-in or private party value? Will the trustee have problems with my having three cars, if I can show that having just two would increase my car insurance rates from $3100 to $6500 a year?

-- I just found out my health insurance payments will be going up 20% in July (they talked about increasing them by 60%!!). That will mean an extra $60 a month or so.

-- My car insurance will increase from $250 to around $300 or so a month.

TENANT LEAVING, WAIT TO RE-RENT? -- My basement tenant has decided to buy and house and will be leaving within the next month. That means $650 less a month. I will re-advertise for a tenant, but it is tempting to wait until after the bankruptcy -- is that a bad idea? I was also thinking of increasing the rent to $750 a month, but obviously would rather not have that income when I file bankruptcy. However, if I am planning on renting it out in the future (assuming I can find a renter) should I just go ahead and do it? Will it throw up a red flag to the trustee?

-- I have gotten my tax refund. The state was around $1000 -- which ended up going to pay for my cat to be diagnosed with and treated for diabetes in January. The federal return came in at $3900 -- so far about $1000 has gone for car repairs. Since I am keeping my Camry, there is another $500 in work that needs to be done to keep it running. I also stocked up on cat food and need to buy my 3 months of Rx meds (~$400). For the rest, I was thinking of paying extra on my car insurance -- that is okay, right?

-- How do I account for the fact that we do not know what the state will do regarding our pay next year? This year we had 10 furlough days -- next year it could be more, they could just wholesale reduce pay, or any variety of things. Do I just mention it in my paperwork? Print off articles that talk about the state's budget shortfall and potential solutions?

Can I just say, this bankruptcy stuff is insane, and can create bad habits! It discourages saving money. On the plus side, I have acclimated to life without credit cards -- though I'll be screwed if the banks limit debit card purchases to under $100!!

NEWLY FILED LIEN? - Oh -- my mom lent me (and my siblings) money for a downpayment on a house. We had signed a contract, but it was not legally filed with the court. With my impending bankruptcy, we had a lawyer draft a legally binding contract and I filed it with the court. Is the trustee going to give me grief about the timing of the filing? Will a copy of the signed contract (made in 2006) be enough? My brother and mom did file a lien through the courts for his money (because he was getting married, to keep it separate and protect his future inheritance).

If I were the trustee, I would give you a lot of grief about continuing to incur new debt while filing for bk.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Aren't people always talking about buying new cars before filing? Or is that just for a 13? We are in a very similar position with old cars...

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
        Aren't people always talking about buying new cars before filing? Or is that just for a 13? We are in a very similar position with old cars...
        The problem with this poster is, she has involved family in her bk.

Nothing wrong with buying relaible transportation before you file but, don't let family get involved in the financing.
        Plus, taking on a $15K obligation for her son on the cusp of bk is going to cause problems. I'd doubt the trustee is going to approve a $442/month car payment for her sons car as a reasonable expense on schedule J.
        Then, the matter of filing a contract and perfecting a lein on her home years after the fact. This poster is likely going to have a rocky ride.

Comment

Keepmine -

If my mom is listed on the car title as the lien holder (as a business would be), it should be treated as a conventional car loan, should it not? I would have gladly gotten financing, but my credit is practically in the negative numbers and there was no way I could qualify (I tried). The car he was using cannot be used as a daily driver at this point -- what else could I do? My son is still considered part of my household (full-time student) and the RAV he was driving and the Subaru he is driving now are MY cars. Even if the trustee chose not to allow the payment, I will still come under the means test (even with the renter's payment). If I have evidence the car is not safe to use as a daily driver and would cost more to repair than it is worth, what objection can the trustee have? Any suggestions for answering any objections you can think of?

Alas, I realize that perfecting the lien on my home now, rather than in 2006 when I bought the home, is not a great thing. As I said, I do have an agreement I signed when she loaned me the money for the house in 2006, and we can show that she is the lien holder on my brother's house for the same amount (hopefully showing what was intended). Maybe it won't hold up, I don't know. I don't think it will even be an issue, because I don't think I have more than $10K in equity in my house. I was just trying to get my ducks in a row and be sure that my mother's claim is legally represented (in the worst case that somehow I have to sell my home/give it up, so she would get back some of what she loaned me). Plus, we really should have done it in 2006.

I suppose the trustee may ask who is driving the second car, but will it matter? Is it really any different than buying myself a car? If need be, I can give my high mileage vehicle to my son to drive and drive the Subaru, it just seems kind of silly. He drives more than I do so it seemed smarter to let him drive the newer (and more reliable) car. I guess that is what I will tell the trustee, too!

If I'm right and I do not have any equity in my house (so the lien by my mom does not matter) and there is a legally filed lien on the Subaru (with proof of need), do you still think there will be problems?

Comment

frogger --

What else could I do regarding the dying car? Believe me, I did not want to incur more debt, but a car is not a luxury in this world of ours! My understanding from reading (and reading) on these boards is that it is pretty standard stuff for people to get a more reliable car before filing. Usually, I guess, people do it before their credit rating implodes, but that was not how it worked out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sillywalks View Post
              EXEMPTIONS? -- I am planning on getting the mechanic to write up an estimate and his opinion of the RAV's inability to be a daily driver. It is in poor condition (tear in seat, stains, dents, trailer hitch torn off -- don't ask! -- missing grill, etc.). KBB Fair value is $2775. I should have exemption left over from my house. My Camry (2001, 190K miles) in good condition should come in around $4000, and the Subaru looks like it is worth around $19K private party value -- we paid $14,500. Do you usually us trade-in or private party value? Will the trustee have problems with my having three cars, if I can show that having just two would increase my car insurance rates from $3100 to $6500 a year?
              Thinking as I would expect a Trustee to think....
              Buying your son a car (who I am guessing is under 18 years old) a car, with a monthly payment of 442, just before BK filing would be a problem. The things you are listing as problems are mostly cosmetic issues. I am not saying the RAV isn't in bad shape mechanically, but if you present your reasons to replace this as "dent, stains, rip in seats...", does not look good.
              Also, filing a contract from 2006 with the courts just before BK filing raises a huge red flag.

I highly suspect you may have problems with the BK as it is laid out here.

Tip on the car insurance aspect...list your son as the primary driver of the 2001 vehicle, and you on the new car. Talk to your insurance agent, but that is what mine suggested when my children were young drivers in the home. As long as they are covered on A vehicle in the house, they are covered on both cars. That way you dont need to keep the RAV as well.

All the best.
              8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
              11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Keepsmiling --

If you read the boards, you will find the frequent suggestion/encouragement to get a reliable car before filing -- probably preferably before your credit is shot. Unfortunately, that did not work out too well for me. I don't see the problem with using family for financing if you have no other choice...but maybe I'm wrong. I still did not have a choice!

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreCards View Post
                  Thinking as I would expect a Trustee to think....
                  Buying your son a car (who I am guessing is under 18 years old) a car, with a monthly payment of 442, just before BK filing would be a problem. The things you are listing as problems are mostly cosmetic issues. I am not saying the RAV isn't in bad shape mechanically, but if you present your reasons to replace this as "dent, stains, rip in seats...", does not look good.
                  Also, filing a contract from 2006 with the courts just before BK filing raises a huge red flag.

I highly suspect you may have problems with the BK as it is laid out here.

Tip on the car insurance aspect...list your son as the primary driver of the 2001 vehicle, and you on the new car. Talk to your insurance agent, but that is what mine suggested when my children were young drivers in the home. As long as they are covered on A vehicle in the house, they are covered on both cars. That way you dont need to keep the RAV as well.

All the best.
                  NoMoreCards --

The cosmetic issues I listed were just to demonstrate that the Kelley Blue Book value would be Poor/Fair -- there are significant mechanical issues with the car, which I will have my mechanic specify along with the cost to fix them, as well as his determination that it should not be used as a daily driver.

My son is actually 22, but attends college as a full-time student.

Hopefully filing the lien on my house won't cause too many problems -- I am 99.9% sure I don't have any equity in the house anyway!

Comment

I am in exactly the same boat. Beater car, 93 minivan with 150K+ miles. Credit in the toilet, new driver in the house- just got license on Friday....aargh.... Was thinking along the same lines, could get my folks to get one of these great low interest car loans and have them lien the title....so no good? have been praying for years that the car holds out "just one more year" lol and prayers have been answered so far but I think I am pushing my luck now....

Seems like there is a very fine line between bk "pre-planning" and potential tt issues.... what to do...

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

I am in exactly the same boat. Beater car, 93 minivan with 150K+ miles. Credit in the toilet, new driver in the house- just got license on Friday....aargh.... Was thinking along the same lines, could get my folks to get one of these great low interest car loans and have them lien the title....so no good? have been praying for years that the car holds out "just one more year" lol and prayers have been answered so far but I think I am pushing my luck now....

Seems like there is a very fine line between bk "pre-planning" and potential tt issues.... what to do...
                      This whole thing is such a minefield! I think I have read on the forums that doing a family loan can work, if it's done correctly? Maybe someone else can answer. I definitely know how you feel, keepsmiling! I hated taking on more debt, but there really were no alternatives. I am not planning on attempting to discharge the debt for the car (obviously), and I have not used any other credit since September/October.

Good luck -- I hope someone will chime in with something that will help you and me!

Comment

Sillywalk,

Your mother had better properly perfect the lein within the time allowed by law or the trustee may well snatch that ride.
                        The majority of states use the UCC and require a UCC-1 be filed within 20 days of purchase to perfect the lein. Some states have there on procedures so you need to ask a lawyer in your state exactly where you stand on this issue.
                        I really think a trustee is going to have an issue with you financing a $15K car for your son and then paying $442/month to your mother while you were on the cusp of bk.
                        Your best bet was to let your mother finance the car in her name and let her grandson use it. Post bk, you could have begun repaying the loan.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                          Sillywalk,

Your mother had better properly perfect the lein within the time allowed by law or the trustee may well snatch that ride.
                          The majority of states use the UCC and require a UCC-1 be filed within 20 days of purchase to perfect the lein. Some states have there on procedures so you need to ask a lawyer in your state exactly where you stand on this issue.
                          I really think a trustee is going to have an issue with you financing a $15K car for your son and then paying $442/month to your mother while you were on the cusp of bk.
                          Your best bet was to let your mother finance the car in her name and let her grandson use it. Post bk, you could have begun repaying the loan.
                          keepmine -- So, what you are saying is I should have my mom fill out the title as the owner, have my son use the car, and just keep myself out of the picture. Can I still insure the car if I am not listed at the owner?

I don't see how they can 'snatch' a car that has a car with a legal lien on it? Whether the financing came from a bank or family, it is still money owed? Also, I could easily make this car MY primary driver and let my son drive my Camry. Ultimately, I need two cars -- so what is the difference?
                          Last edited by sillywalks; 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

silly

the difference is that its your family who's trying to place a lien on a vehicle, thereby getting $442 a month. That is apples, oranges and spades apart from a lender holding the note and receiving payment. Its just the way trustee's look at it. What you should've done is discussed everything with a lawyer before you did it (assuming thats the route you're going) - if you're filing pro-se, you still should've at the very least met with a lawyer (free consult or paid) to discuss ramifications of what you were planning on doing.

As to your son, why didnt he obtain a car loan on his own using grandma as a co-signer - as well as his own insurance policy? I'm not quite understanding that entire scenario as our 20 y/o pays for her own car, insurance, apt, bills, etc and goes to school F/T while working a job on her off days / evenings / weekends.

I agree with the others - I believe the trustee is going to negate the car for your 22 y/o and you very well may end up in a Ch. 13 even if qualified for Ch. 7 from means test.

ETA: I dont believe your argument regarding the RAV will uphold - the trustee doesnt care if it's seats are torn, etc - the only thing he/she cares about is can it bring any $ to provide to the creditors. The answer is yes. We have a car that is in parts that we had to exempt for the trustee not to take it, so even a non-running car has value.

Comment

My trustee did question what year my car was. When he saw the car was a Lexus and paid for he immediately wanted to know what year and what is the value for the car if he sold it. This is my only car so I would been in big trouble if he took it from me. I told him well it does run, but it has a salvage/rebuilt title, 1993, with 233K miles. I said it does need some work and if I were to sell it it would be about 1K. He was not interested at that point. So yes the trustee would question anything he/she can make money from. If you are over your state exemptions in the first place then the trustee will want the assets to sell.

Can you son get a loan in his name for the car? I understand his grandmother may have great credit, but she could co-sign for the car. You would not be involved then in the transaction. Also your son should qualify for his own loans for school.
                              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X