top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK Attorney fee 'norms'- Flat rate or hourly? And what does it usually include/cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK Attorney fee 'norms'- Flat rate or hourly? And what does it usually include/cover?

I may have made a wrong choice in making a deposit with an attorney for BK. A recent event has caused me to realize I was very uneducated/naive in what to expect when hiring a BK attorney in regards to what the fees covered/included etc. This has prompted me to pose the following question here in hopes to get an idea how it was for others in BK. After the question, I will share a bit about my situation for those who may want to know.

Question: What are BK Attorney fee 'norms'? Are they usually flat rate or hourly? And what should they reasonably include? I am not asking what a usual price is, as that would vary widely I imagine. I am thinking more about rate structure and 'what' is included or covered for that rate/fee. What if changes have to be made later? Do 'flat rates' usually limit you in time & # of meetings & questions even? (Obviously if paying hourly, I would imagine an attorney would welcome as many questions & meetings as you wish!) And are deposits usually refundable? What else should I "HAVE" asked/known regarding fees, what was included etc. but did not know to ask before deciding on a BK attorney?!?

Ok..feel free to reply now, or read on if you are interested or just curious even :-)

This is my situation & how I realized I did not know what to expect...and a lesson learned about not getting more than one consult!! ....

Do to many circumstances, we have been holding on by a thread financially, living on CC, but managing to make all CC payments so far. Realized one day last month that there was just no way to go on like this. I could not make another round of CC minimums, and in fact could not even pay the mortgage again. Did a quick bit of research, found this site, felt somewhat informed, and sought out a BK attorney. Found one online that I liked the profile/web page of & went for a consult. After a 1 hour initial consult (free), we were told we could file a Ch 7 & that if we were to choose to do so, it was suggested that we file sooner versus later since I had no late payments yet. We were under the impression that our assets & home would be protected when leaving this consult. I liked this attorney quite well & thought we were a good fit. I thought the consult went well enough to not need to consult with anyone else. (What is it they say about hindsight being 20/20!!) Anyway, I filled out paperwork, did pre BK counseling, went back to attorney a few days later, went over questionnaire with attorney (info they requested, statements & all that) and paid the deposit. At next meeting (to pay rest of fee & sign to file) some issues were raised that have caused me to have questions about filing, when to file, how to file, what the exemptions are etc. (I have even researched a few of those questions here while waiting on attorneys response) We were also informed at this meeting that the house was not 'totally' protected, nor would all our assets be. This is not what we expected or wanted. At that meeting (2nd one after free consult) it was suggested by attorney I wait and think about filing later after spending down assets, so no additional fee's were paid. In order to decide what to do, I felt I needed more questions answered and to get a better understanding of my options. I posed those questions in a couple of emails to the attorney. A week later the response was, in essence, that the flat rate fee included 2 one hour in person meetings and one 341(a) meeting. And that too much time had already been spent on my case (7 hours) with risk of not being fully compensated. (at this point they only have the deposit, not the full payment amount) To the attorney it seems like an excessive (I guess) amount of questions & asking for clarifications/explanations and that I am asking questions that I already asked & they answered at the previous consult/meetings. To me though, I am only asking now or asking again because I don't understand and am not clear about things & need to figure out the best way & best time to file to best protect me & give me a decent shot at a fresh start! I thought that was one of the reasons you hired an attorney, to help you figure this out & to answer questions! Now I think I was under the wrong impression. Oops.

It is obvious now that my questions and time with this attorney are being (would be if I continue with them) restricted/limited. I can sort of understand from an attorneys point of view "time is money." But as a consumer, it seems that you could get yourself in a jam if you are not allowed to ask questions and be VERY clear about anything and everything, before, during & perhaps even after filing. For me it is just uncomfortable. I am more of a 'planner & controller' and have been accused many a time of being 'paralyzed by fear' and 'over thinking things!' This time I didn't do that & I think it just bit me in the behind!!! LOL Because I now have questions that I did not think to ask previously or am not clear about or new concerns...but the 'limited meetings & time' structure is not conducive to getting answers. Never even dawned on me this would be an issue. By the way, I did not see or sign a fee agreement yet, although have now been told by the attorney that had I done so, I would have known what the fee agreement covered.

At this point, I don't know what I will do - file now, wait, find a new attorney...(although we were told when we went to pay the rest of the fees, that the deposit we had already paid was 'non-refundable'..umm a bit after the fact I think..unless I missed that detail somehow!) And I feel stuck since I can not even get answers to my questions! Although the attorney did offer to answer my questions at the rate of $225 an hour. Obviously I can't afford that. (They feel my questions were already addressed at the previous meetings, I feel the plan was changed, they feel I did not give them all the details up front, I feel I did not know what to tell them & told them all I thought I was supposed too and was honest about everything) A big 'ol misunderstanding/miscommunication I guess! No matter what the case or who's fault, if anyone, I have a bad taste in my mouth and may have to seek out more consultations and perhaps a new attorney. I don't see how I can feel comfortable moving forward with this one under these circumstances. I am truly disappointed in this as I really did like this attorney, at first at least. I don't think they did anything wrong in any way, I just think I was really uneducated, and maybe even expecting too much. I hope to learn & perhaps even educate others at the same time by posing my question and sharing my situation. Maybe my "OOPS!" will help someone else someday.

Hopefully I will at least get enough feedback here to arm me with better knowledge about what to expect!!!!
    Last edited by JJCA; 03-16-2011, 02:47 AM.

1. There are no "norms". BK fees (and attorney fees in general) take into consideration 3 factors, (1) complexity of case, (2) level of service provided by they atty/firm, and (3) level of expertise. As such there is no norm because you are often comparing apples to oranges. A firm that charges only $1,400 is probably (not probably, always) offering less service and has less expertise than a firm that "legitimately" charges $2,800. (note, that is not to say the most expensive is always the best, that is why I qualified the statement with "legitimately charges")

It sounds like you are paying for, and getting a low level of service. Just realize, to get the level of service you want, you will pay more.

As for the rest of your questions, I will chime in later when I have more time...here are some good blog posts on the subject.

http://methnerlaw.com/2010/03/18/und...nd-complexity/
    Last edited by HHM; 03-16-2011, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I think going into this situation we are all very naive and uneducated. The only reason I had a clue about anything was due to this site. Keeping in mind I had a very good attorney, I think overall she spent one to two hours with us during our first meeting,then about one hour for the second meeting for the signing and she went to the 341 with us. Now her paralegal was very good and I ran several things by her, and if she needed to clarify she would ask the attorney. I paid the 250 consulting fee, which I was told if we hired the attorney would be put towards our 3ooo fee which included the filing. I signed a contract with her acknowledging that this was the area this amount covered and anything extra was 275 per hour. Adversarial proceedings and other things were specifically mentioned as extras.

I think because we do not know what we need we expect the attorneys to help us more, when in fact I feel they think they know what needs to be done, and will tell you something if they think it is an issue.

I do think you may have a weird set up with your attorney though. Maybe you need to get another opinion.
      Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
      DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

our personally experience with the atty's we interviewed were all a "basic" flat rate......however, that DID NOT include any additional situations that may arise...i.e. the amendment on the petition, and adversary proceding...etc. those were either, depending on the atty...hourly.....or for another example one atty charged a straight $700 for each AP....

go with whom and what best meets your needs.......we had an excellent atty...he took payments ...and was great. most good bk atty's understand your situation and work with you.

or better stated...that was our experience.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

We did the initial consultation that lasted about an hour. Then filled out the packet of paperwork with all our information and turned that in to the paralegal along with our fee payment. We had some e-mail correspondance with the paralegal before filing. We had another hour long appt with the attorney to go over the final paperwork and sign before filing. Then we waited until the 341, the attorney met us there and while there we signed reaffirmations on our vehicles. That was the last we saw of him. So, two hours and a 341, plus some e-mail time with the paralegal was what we got for our fee. I would have expected to pay additional fees if I needed more face time with the attorney.

I have to say though, I am a huge overthinker too and I spent a lot of time on the internet researching BK on my own before filing. I probably could have filed pro se after the amount of information I went through. lol We were a pretty easy "slam-dunk" chapter 7 case though so I don't know if I would have felt as comfortable doing my own thing if I needed more attention. Perhaps another appt at the $225 rate would be worth it to have all your questions answered to your satisfaction before you actually pay for the attorney. good luck!
          Filed Chapter 7 - 06/30/2010
          Discharged - 11/18/2010
          Closed - 12/22/2010

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

HHM, thank you for the links. That was REALLY, really helpful info. Wish I had known to research this area before I went..and especially before I paid any $$!! Too bad there is not a sticky somewhere that gets our attention & points out the importance of researching this aspect of hiring a BK attorney.

I think my situation is going to turn out to be and expensive lesson learned. Maybe it is still salvageable, but I doubt it. I never even questioned what the fee was for, what it included or anything. Did NONE of what those links you supplied me with suggested. DUH! I got caught up in the 'can't pay the bills, we're desperate, I think we need to file BK, just get it over & done with'...and was more focused on 'could we' and how soon should we or should we wait etc. When presented with what seemed like a reasonable price (although I really did not have anything to base that on! Guess it just sounded ok!) and some answers to my questions that seemed to make sense, and a suggestion to file asap to minimize damage..I jumped at the chance to 'get out relatively unscathed and quickly with damages minimized'. I realize I really fear creditors & what they can do, and the idea of stopping that before it even got started made me jump before really understanding the 'WHOLE' picture. I so want to just move on with life & be out of debt! It has been 2 years of financial "heck". I SO cringe at the idea of dragging this all out even longer. Even the idea of seeking another attorney makes me cringe. Yep! I am definitely in the 'overwhelmed' club!! LOL But at least I will be a more educated when all is said & done!

Please keep the replies coming..I know it will vary a lot, but still would like to know how 'your' situation was in regards to fee agreements, what was included and so on.

JJ...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X