No announcement yet.

Income from selling things may mess up our 6 month average :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My lawyer wanted everything too, but he included all extra moneys' (not that there was much) as exempt since we can take the Federal standards here. He wanted to make sure all moneys were accounted for and exempted. Made sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
      My lawyer wanted everything too, but he included all extra moneys' (not that there was much) as exempt since we can take the Federal standards here. He wanted to make sure all moneys were accounted for and exempted. Made sense to me.
      Just to be clear this is an apple and orange point. the OP was asking about income not cash on hand. Once it is cash, it doesn't make any difference whether it was a gift, a loan, a tax refund or you found a bag of cash that fell off a Brinks truck. So cash that is already spent from selling stuff at a loss doesn't have to be reported anywhere in my opinion. On the other hand, if you had made a profit, it has to be reported as income whether or not it is in your bank account.
      Two entirely different topics-income and assets.

Comment

Thank you, daylate. Still learning I guess.

Comment

We had to fill out a paper at the 341 meeting asking if we had paypal or ebay accounts. I would assume you have people hiding income in paypal, but I think the small amount you are talking about wouldn't be a problem, but I would encourage you to disclose everything, honesty is the best policy always.

There are several posts on here about expenses, so you may want to search for them to make sure you are counting all your expenses allowed. Also, as an other poster mentioned, the means uses your gross, but there is a section for taxes. If you are having too much withheld, that amount over would be considered as DMI by the UST. Even if you are below, at or above median, and if you have allowable expenses that gives you a negative DMI, you should have no problem with a 7.
          Filed Ch 7: 11/2010 and 03/2011 and closed

Comment

Originally posted by csonly View Post
            We had to fill out a paper at the 341 meeting asking if we had paypal or ebay accounts. I would assume you have people hiding income in paypal, but I think the small amount you are talking about wouldn't be a problem, but I would encourage you to disclose everything, honesty is the best policy always.

There are several posts on here about expenses, so you may want to search for them to make sure you are counting all your expenses allowed. Also, as an other poster mentioned, the means uses your gross, but there is a section for taxes. If you are having too much withheld, that amount over would be considered as DMI by the UST. Even if you are below, at or above median, and if you have allowable expenses that gives you a negative DMI, you should have no problem with a 7.
            wow, that's extremely interesting....since the trustee's usually have computer right in front of them and can see your paypal account........shoot..i paid my rent, and many bills via paypal...so i'm a bit confused about the point here. also many people us paypal debit cards since they are tied to their checking or savings accounts...so i'm a bit confused about why a trustee would ask about any of that since most all monies removed from paypal either leave via the debit card and reflect on your bank statements...???
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Well I did my homework and have all the documentation to back me up. I printed out all payment received, payments sent, transfers from my bank or credit card to my paypal, and transfers from my paypal to my bank account. There is only $23.55 difference in showing where my money went and how I got it. I feel pretty confident and it doesn't show me hiding anything. My only concern at this point would be if they questioned me as to why I do this stupid buy/sell hobby but I am ready with that too
              Filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 4/13/2011....................... awaiting our 341 meeting scheduled for May 31st 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CCBmama0f3 View Post
                Well I did my homework and have all the documentation to back me up. I printed out all payment received, payments sent, transfers from my bank or credit card to my paypal, and transfers from my paypal to my bank account. There is only $23.55 difference in showing where my money went and how I got it. I feel pretty confident and it doesn't show me hiding anything. My only concern at this point would be if they questioned me as to why I do this stupid buy/sell hobby but I am ready with that too
                i guess it's really going to depend on your trustee....ours never asked about ebay or paypal....i ALWAYS took out the money from paypal and put it in my checking acccount anyway...so the trustee saw all of that anyway.

i think you'll be fine. i know it's hard because you want to be absolutely honest, which is the BEST way to go...but we worried about everything only to find out ...most of what our trustee was interested was the BIG stuff...
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                  i guess it's really going to depend on your trustee....ours never asked about ebay or paypal....i ALWAYS took out the money from paypal and put it in my checking acccount anyway...so the trustee saw all of that anyway.

i think you'll be fine. i know it's hard because you want to be absolutely honest, which is the BEST way to go...but we worried about everything only to find out ...most of what our trustee was interested was the BIG stuff...
                  That makes me feel better! I just want to completely honest and put everything out there regardless of size. I am organizing it well just in case I have to explain everything
                  Filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy 4/13/2011....................... awaiting our 341 meeting scheduled for May 31st 2011

Comment

If you don't include the "income" because of the "expenses", just be honest at the 341 meeting. The Trustee will let you know if you need to change any paperwork.

The whole issue of gross vs. net and having to include gross earnings pertains more to a job where you have taxes, insurance, etc. taken out. Your issue is more related to a self-employed business, and you may want to look at disclosing it as such on your Statement of Financial Affairs. The Trustee may want you to fill out operating reports, a fancy name but a simple document, for a few months prior to your filing to show your net loss from your paypal activities.

Again, disclose everything and be honest. As long as you believe you are telling the truth, then noone can say that you've filed in bad faith.
                    The information contained in this post does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. if you have questions that require legal reasoning to answer, please see an attorney.

Comment

Just to clarify the form regarding ebay/paypal. Maybe it's just a district thing, but there were like 10 questions, yes or no questions. One asked if you had a paypal acct, one asked if you had an ebay account. They were all general questions and everyone who had a case that day had to answer these questions and sign. My attorney said they should all be "no" except for one of them and if they were not, to let him know.

I honestly don't think the small amount this OP is talking about would be a problem, I think they are looking for major income through ebay and funds being hidden in a paypal account. Just my 2 cents.
                      Filed Ch 7: 11/2010 and 03/2011 and closed

Comment

Originally posted by CCBmama0f3;508208

That makes me feel better! I just want to completely honest and put everything out there regardless of size. I am organizing it well just in case I have to explain everything
                        i hear you...and it really is the BEST way to be...after all....lies are difficult to remember while the truth never changes. AtBKAtty makes a good point.

i just know you'll be fine..

Comment

Originally posted by csonly View Post
                          Just to clarify the form regarding ebay/paypal. Maybe it's just a district thing, but there were like 10 questions, yes or no questions. One asked if you had a paypal acct, one asked if you had an ebay account. They were all general questions and everyone who had a case that day had to answer these questions and sign. My attorney said they should all be "no" except for one of them and if they were not, to let him know.

I honestly don't think the small amount this OP is talking about would be a problem, I think they are looking for major income through ebay and funds being hidden in a paypal account. Just my 2 cents.
                          i think so too...about the "district" thing...i mean really, i saw some trustee's LOL!!!!! that were soooooooooooo OLd i know they don't have a clue what paypal even is. although, their paralegals should.

now....i'm OLd so it's ok i said that. i just know my mom doesn't have a clue what it is or how to even access it.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                            Thank you, daylate. Still learning I guess.
                            Aren't we all. BK is a very complicated process. Unfortunately many of us don't know what we don't know until it is too late. I just try to pass along what i have learned (or at least think I have learned) to help others, just like all the folks here helped me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X