what happens if you dont have tax returns and bank statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happens if you dont have tax returns and bank statements

My mother who will be filling bk at some point in the near future is only recieving social security. She was not required to file a tax return last year or this year due to not making money and recieving under a certain amount from social security. Also as of 2 months ago I took out what money was left in the bank and have been paying all bills by money order. I do have the reciepts. So I assume this is ok just to show them lots of reciepts and have no tax statements? Also is there anyway to get money back on all the interest paid on the morgtage if she didnt make enough to file a return?

I think you are okay. Just make sure you don't lose the receipts. And I don't think there is a way to get the money back from the interest paid if you don't have to file.

Comment

Originally posted by daylate View Post
      I think you are okay. Just make sure you don't lose the receipts. And I don't think there is a way to get the money back from the interest paid if you don't have to file.
      Ditto. You have a valid explanation for your Mother. Incidentally, you might consider getting a Durable Power of Attorney so that you can speak for your Mother (although she should be there). This will take pressure off of her. When called to your/her turn, politely address the Trustee as to who you are, that you wish to speak for her and submit the P.O.A.. Since you have been doing her business, you are closer to the fact that you know her situation probably better than she does. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

double ditto.....you have nothing to worry about...also you should be able to go to SS and get a print out of her income if really pushed...
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Check with the IRS to see if there is a form for a mortgage interest refund. I know there used to be something like that when I helped my brother with his taxes years ago but this program may have gone by the wayside. Unsure.

Also, you should have bank statements from the months prior to closing the account. Just a thought but maybe along with the money order receipts you could do a spreadsheet of monies in/monies out to show the trustee so they do not have to go through the receipts individually. As I said, it was just a thought. A lawyer would be the best one to tell you what documentation you will need.

Comment

If you closed the account, look at paragraph 11 of the Statement of Financial Affiars.

Also, the trustees I've dealt with would like to see an affidavit (maybe filed or maybe presented at the 341 meeting) in which your mother states that she has not filed taxes for the last x years due to receiving ss and not making enough money to file taxes.
            The information contained in this post does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. if you have questions that require legal reasoning to answer, please see an attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X