A couple of stupid questions about filing in Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of stupid questions about filing in Ohio

1. If you are under the median (for family size), are you still subject to the means test?

2. Once you've decided to file, and paid in full your attorney and submitted every last paper they asked for, and are under the median...and attorney states they see no "red flags", why would it take a few weeks to actually file? I guess I thought it would move faster.

3. Married, both filing...is Ohio's wild card exemption doubled?

Originally posted by tripbuddy View Post
    1. If you are under the median (for family size), are you still subject to the means test?
    If you are under the median, you still fill out a Means Test, but you are not subjected to the "entire" means test. People still refer to this as "not completing the means test", which is a misnomer. You actually do fill out part of the means test, but are excused from completing the sections related to expenses.

2. Once you've decided to file, and paid in full your attorney and submitted every last paper they asked for, and are under the median...and attorney states they see no "red flags", why would it take a few weeks to actually file? I guess I thought it would move faster.
    The attorney still needs to enter all the information into their computer. This is usually done by a paralegal. Once that is completed, the attorney will schedule a meeting with you to go over the paperwork. Many bankruptcy attorneys are busy these days. If you want an "emergency" or "faster" processing of the paperwork, they will charge you more money. In any event, the entire bankruptcy paperwork package is usually no less than 50 pages of various forms. My initial package, less my Plan, was 70 pages.

3. Married, both filing...is Ohio's wild card exemption doubled?
    From what I read, the statute says "every" person. So in my simple mind, that means each debtor. You may want to consult a few attorneys and run that buy them during your "free" consultation.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X