• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusing credit card bill, paid, then not paid

I have a bank account with HSBC.
    After I stopped paying all my credit cards, I continued to use
    a credit card that I had with HSBC.
    I paid the balance every month and the card was in good standing.

My last bill was $400.00. I paid it online.
    At the same time, my papers for Chapter 7 had been filed.

The HSBC credit card account was closed . . . but, that $400 was never used
    for the payment. It is still in my bank account and they have not charged me.

Being I have a checking account with HSBC, are they going to
    "come after" that money later?

Are they going to close my banking account?
    I wanted to pay it, but they didn't take the money ??

Did my lawyer include this card in the BK filing by accident?

Has your lawyer talked to you about preferential treatment with creditors? I would be more concerned about that tbh...
    Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
    Discharged: August 2010
    A life lesson well learned.

Comment

You say you filed BK at the same time you made the payment. That's not really possible. One occurred first. You may have set up the payment before you filed, but if it hadn't been processed yet, the credit card side of HSBC probably refused the payment because it had received notice of your BK. HSBC can't take the $400 from your account now, but the trustee might if you can't protect it with an exemption. So, don't spend the money and let your attorney know about it. Your petition should probably be amended to include the $400 as an asset and the credit card balance as a debt. Or, maybe your attorney already included the debt, which would not be an accident. HSBC could object to the discharge of the debt since it was incurred so close to your filing. But, it probably isn't worth their trouble for that amount.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
        Has your lawyer talked to you about preferential treatment with creditors? I would be more concerned about that tbh...
        Not really a concern for the debtor. If there was a preferential payment, the trustee would go after the creditor for the money.

ETA: Here's a good explanation of preference payments: http://www.moranlaw.net/preferences.htm
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X