Car payment -is it preferential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car payment -is it preferential?

Hi everyone! My first post here...but i have been learning from all of you as i browse these forums. It has been a great source of knowledge and comfort to me and I thank all of you for your insight. We filed on Chapter 7 on 4-15. I am concerned about a car payment that was made within 90 days of our filing. I have decided to surrender the vehicle and and have not made any payments since February 8th. My attorney was aware that I had been paying but should this be noted that there was in fact a payment made to a creditor since it was over $600??? I am getting paranoid as I review our paperwork !
    Thank you!

I don't believe a payment to a secured creditor would be considered a preferential payment (people pay their mortgages, car payments etc all the time prior to filing). Since you are surrendering the vehicle perhaps ask your attorney if it should be on there somewhere though. Even if it is caught later it doesn't hurt you, the trustee just may want it back from the lender. Don't worry too much about it.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

welcome Schz....glad you found us!
      I think that if the trustee decides that payment is a preferential payment he will go after it himself. Not something you will need to worry about.
      I remember my trustee asking me if i had made any payments to anyone other than my usual things that i needed to pay each month.
      You did note the "think" ..thats my disclosure. Good luck to you. AND we are here for you!!!
      filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
      "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

I agree with newbie2-payments on secured debt are not considered as preferential (unless made to a relative or other insider, I think)

Comment

Newbie2 is correct. Secured loan payments are not preferential payments. You can stop worrying about this.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank for all of your replies! I will stop worrying ;-)
            (In about 4 months!!!)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X