Pre-BK counseling, what a joke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-BK counseling, what a joke!

So I paid the $50 and did the pre-counseling. What a joke. Is the post-counseling this ridiculous? I felt like it really didn't teach me anything.

I agree.. I did mine the other night and I definitely felt like I was doing something 'just' to fulfill an obligation...
    341 Date ~ July 6th, 2011 ~ Wish me luck

Comment

Ours was beneficial to us. Our counselor, in looking over our paperwork, told us that with our income, and outgo, that we were better suited to a Ch7 rather than the Ch13 we were trying for. Our Attorney did NOT do that.

The counselor also called to our attention, some line-items to include that we had forgotten in our budgeting: namely, 'personal grooming', as in "Who cuts your hair? How often do you go, and how much does it cost?" She also pointed out that we were allowed to include a line-item for 'Entertainment' such as do you want to eat out once a month? Or go to the movies--or rent them?

These are things that our attorney did NOT cover with us. So, yes, we benefited.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I thought the counseling was pretty useless. I think it's because I had already spent hours on this board. If I hadn't found this board, I might have had something to learn from the counseling. I didn't find the post filing class much better. I think I might have learned one thing, but I don't remember what it was now.

Maybe BKForum should become a certified provider!
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I did the counseling online and found it completely worthless. Maybe I wouldn't have felt that way if I hadn't already found this forum. I also did the second counseling online. That was more than worthless. There was very little "new" information in it. Because there was a minimum amount of time that needed to be spent on each module, I would open the module, review it, and then leave it sitting on the computer while I cleaned, made dinner, fed the dog, walked the dog, called mom, conjugated latin verbs etc. Once it's done, it's done. Small price to pay.
          OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

We didn't find this forum until well after we had filed, had our 341, and got slapped with an AP. If we had, perhaps I would feel more like the counseling sessions are worthless. But, the first one was with a real live person going over our paperwork, and that was helpful. The second one was an online course that we completed the day following our 341. I don't remember much about it.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

The pre-counseling program is nothing but a hoop that you have to jump through to file bankruptcy. That's what I tell my clients. The post filing part is a little more substantive and worthwhile, but not much. It too, in large part, is hoop jumping.
              Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Ours was also a joke, but thats what you get when you pay 30 dollars I suppose. Definitely felt like our "counselor" was sitting a few continents away from here. Oh well. I think my hubby got a little something out of the budgeting ideas. He's not so good in that area

Comment

Pre- a total waste of time; Post- a bit better but no aha moments there either. But, some congressman is happy because he (or she) knows that all of us bk low lifes would never had gotten into this mess if we had just knew the stuff that was in the courses - me I'd rather have known that my house would lose over 100k in equity and still not be saleable;that no one will hire an over 50-60 year old for more than $9 or $10 an hour; that health insurance is prohibitively expensive for individuals, especially older ones-now that is stuff I would have liked to know.

Comment

I was able to get the fee waived for the pre-filing. and then used 10debtoreducation for my other one. (cost $9.99) I found it to be simple as very easy. Always check to see if you can get either fee waived for either class.
                    Filed Pro Se 3/21/2011
                    341 4/21/2011
                    DISCHARGED 6/21/2011

Comment

Yeah, I had the same feeling when I did my counseling. Especially if you've had jobs and done financial stuff for years, it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know (don't use cash advances to pay off credit cards, etc.); but they're a requirement to file, so there you go. The best advice I have for those who haven't gone through it yet is: find the cheapest one you can and do that one. I found one that cost $15, and it was every bit as legit as the ones that cost $50.

Comment

Originally posted by ohiogal View Post
                        Yeah, I had the same feeling when I did my counseling. Especially if you've had jobs and done financial stuff for years, it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know (don't use cash advances to pay off credit cards, etc.); but they're a requirement to file, so there you go. The best advice I have for those who haven't gone through it yet is: find the cheapest one you can and do that one. I found one that cost $15, and it was every bit as legit as the ones that cost $50.
                        For a $5 certificate fee, you can do the pre filing class at http://www.consumerbankruptcycounseling.info/ But, it may not be the best place if you are in a hurry because they don't guarantee how quickly you'll get the certificate. People here have used them without complaint.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

We did ours online and they recommendation and "action plan" for us: Buy less prescription medicine, get sick less (me and the wife both have on going medical issues), and use coupons"

Gee thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LolaSparks View Post
                            I was able to get the fee waived for the pre-filing. and then used 10debtoreducation for my other one. (cost $9.99) I found it to be simple as very easy. Always check to see if you can get either fee waived for either class.
                            I used the same web-site for 10 bucks.

Comment

neither were beneficial to us either as we only filed to strip our 2nd, so no other debt other than house & 1 car, with both being outside the plan. I found it an incredible waste of time because it doesnt take 2 hours to read through either the pre- or post tests, but out of the 2, the POST was the most horrific I think ours was something like 12 questions, but you had to average it out to 15 minutes per question so you wouldnt finish before the 2 hours were up. Ugh... nothing like sitting here waiting for time to pass LOL!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X