Can the trustee convert my chapter 7 to chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the trustee convert my chapter 7 to chapter 13

just wondering my debt is 12k and my monthly income is $600 and monthly expenses are $600 (living on the edge here) give me some opinions please

There is a lot that goes into that, but with monthly income at $600/mo you are not over the median income for your state.

If you had a lot of assets you wanted to protect you could elect for a chapter 13, but there is no way you would be converted.

Comment

I agree. I think you're safe from a recommendation to convert to 13.
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

There's no way you'd be converted to a ch.13. Why are you filing bk when you are essentially collection-proof and you only have $12k in debt?
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by bearzdb View Post
          just wondering my debt is 12k and my monthly income is $600 and monthly expenses are $600 (living on the edge here) give me some opinions please
          The Trustee cannot convert a case from Chapter 7 to Chapter 13. Chapter 13 is voluntary. The only thing that the United States Trustee (UST) or Panel Trustee (trustee) can do is motion to have your Chapter 7 case dismissed unless "you" convert to a Chapter 13.

I'm more worried that you really may not have a good case for filing anyhow. If you make little money and have no assets, then you may be collection-proof (as mentioned). That is really a small amount of debt in the grand scheme of things. Do you own anything?

How must of your $600/month is actually cost of living (not including credit card or debt payments)?
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

OP has already filed.
            Last edited by debee; 05-19-2011, 08:58 PM.
            There are two secrets for success in life:
            1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Wow...what I wouldn't give to have just $12,000 in secured/unsecured debt, right? bear...you'll be fine.

Comment

I used to have a good job so all those credit card companies got wage garnishment against me i got laid off not too long ago and I tried to negotiate with the companies to settle but they all refused so I figured what the hell i ruined my credit already and it did not cost me anything to file chapter 7 and I am still pretty young figured I got a better chance at getting back on my feet this way

Comment

What is collection proof?

Comment

Often incorrectly called "judgment proof", collection proof means that if a creditor gets a court judgment against you, you don't have anything they could get to collect on that judgment.

Originally posted by kimw8083 View Post
                    What is collection proof?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X