top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of getting served summons at 3 months without paying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chances of getting served summons at 3 months without paying?

I was hoping to be able to file this week but unexpected vet bills came up with my dog so I will have to wait a couple more weeks. Is there any chance someone can come to my house and serve me with any kind of summons in the next couple weeks. I'm mainly worried because I host a family reunion at my house on the 18th of June and I'm worried someone would show up on that Saturday. That would be so embarrassing. Any ideas?

hello six - after 3 months of not paying? VERY VERY VERY unlikely - also if your locality has online access to court records, you can see if anyone's filed suit. OR if they don't, you can go there in person and find out.

ALSO, if they're calling non-stop, the answer is VERY likely not yet.

Hope dog is ok!!!

Comment

I wasn't served until about 11 months out for Amex, and I think 9 for Discover. No one else has filed against me (that I know of LOL). That includes Chase, First National Bank of Omaha, Old Navy, and Bill Me Later.
      Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
      "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

At 3 months without paying, you have most likely not even been turned over to a collection agency yet. The chance of a summons is slim to none.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Guys, anyone have experiences with LOCAL credit unions???

Comment

A hair short of 3 years for me and no suits...so IMHO 3 months is nothing..not to worry your going to be a o k...good luck

Comment

I got my first summons from Citi at the 6 month mark of not paying. All the other ones were still calling. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
              Filed CH 7 4/15/11
              341 5/23/11
              DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Ok thanks everyone. Do you guys suggest answering the calls and giving them my lawyers number? I have not answered any calls. Should I even bother telling them about my lawyer?

Comment

There is no harm in giving them your lawyer's information, once I had my lawyer on retainer he advised me to do so. I just turned the ringer on my phone off though, simplest solution for me.

Since you have not filed it's not going to make the calls stop, it's only going to tell them of your intentions.
                  Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

At that point, or maybe a month or two after, all I got was a letter from Chase demanding that I pay the full balance on my cards or they were going to refer me to their attorneys who would be instructed to file a lawsuit against me. They gave me a two week deadline to comply. The deadline came and went with nothing, and I filed for bankruptcy about 3 weeks after that deadline. The companies are so clogged with delinquent account holders that it would be doubtful that they would sue so quickly.

Comment

Its very, VERY unlikely that anyone would file that quickly. They usually have to be 2-3 months behind before going to collections, then go through that whole process & give the collections people a chance to harrass you...then they might file sometime after that.
                      Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
                      Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

Originally posted by bluehue79 View Post
                        At that point, or maybe a month or two after, all I got was a letter from Chase demanding that I pay the full balance on my cards or they were going to refer me to their attorneys who would be instructed to file a lawsuit against me. They gave me a two week deadline to comply. The deadline came and went with nothing, and I filed for bankruptcy about 3 weeks after that deadline. The companies are so clogged with delinquent account holders that it would be doubtful that they would sue so quickly.
                        Blue, do you think that's still the case TODAY? re Chase?

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                          Blue, do you think that's still the case TODAY? re Chase?
                          I just filed in February 2011 so probably. Who knows? I remember my lawyer telling me that it was very unlikely that they were actually going to sue me and that Chase is very aggressive in scare tactics. They definitely are. They're the ones that I got the most collection calls from, too. It seems to be a crapshoot with these cc companies. Some people they'll leave alone for months and months without pursuing legal action and others they'll sue at the drop of a hat.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that at about 3 months, the CA that American Express used was ready to send me a summons (I think it was Nationwide, which always had Asian Indians calling me.) My official residential address at the time was an empty lot , and they wanted me to give a "real" address. I told them that I was bouncing around various hotels around the country, and then faked like I was looking for a settlement. That stretched things out for 2 months, at which time I bought a house and notified them that not only did I then have a good address to be reached at, but that I had also paid my attorney for a Chapter 7 filing.

Comment

Jackbond that is too cool...may I ask..what was the response when you told them that you paid atty fo ch7?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X