top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone filed with very high credit card debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep doing consults, most are free. You might also post on here and ask folks from your area to PM you with recommendations. I actually was PMing with a fellow Pa person and he advised me of several. I ended up with one of those and never looked back.

Hang in there and keep searching until you find one who you are comfortable with!
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Originally posted by sue2 View Post
      How do you find a good lawyer ? I went to one and he did not offer any advice, just wanted $2000.00 and told me Chapter 13. We only make under $5600.00 gross. I have been using
      my IRA. My husband is worried.
      He sounds like a "mill" BK attorney. Steer clear of him.

When you call to make an appointment, quiz the secretary/attorney briefly and politely about how they handle their cases.

I asked:

Is BK law all you do?
      How long have you been handing BK cases?
      Do you prepare the case yourself or do you hand me off to an assistant to do my means test and plug in my numbers.
      Will you personally represent me at my 341 meeting?

Stuff like that. If they don't want to asnwer..... steer clear. Our attorney cost $3742 including filing fees, we had a defunct LLC company also. We discharged over a year ago and life is great! Our only regret is we didn't do it sooner..... we thought we could "wor" with our creditors. Big mistake.

Comment

Find another attorney. We had about 45k in CC debt and also passed the means test for 7... we were talked into a 13 and spent 2 very difficult years in the 13. Converted to a 7 and went through with NO issues.

I believe the reason the attorney office pushed us to the 13 was for the additional income...

If what you have said above is accurate, then stand your ground.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDone View Post
          Find another attorney. We had about 45k in CC debt and also passed the means test for 7... we were talked into a 13 and spent 2 very difficult years in the 13. Converted to a 7 and went through with NO issues.

I believe the reason the attorney office pushed us to the 13 was for the additional income...

If what you have said above is accurate, then stand your ground.
          One of the attorneys I talked to indicated that a 13 is looked at better than a 7 by creditors, probably for the reason that you are attempting to pay the debt. Could that be the reason? That and if you are planning on buying a home you can get an FHA loan faster than if you go the Ch 7 route. I can't think of another reason at the moment, but then I'm still learning about all this.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X