top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone filed with very high credit card debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy I guess I've been lucky

Haven't paid a cc since Aug. 2008...about 90k of cc debt and nadda no suits, no judgements, just a few calls now and then..
    I'm getting ready to file in a month or so now..
    I'll be so grateful when all this is behind me and I can breath. I thought about holding out for another year but I'll probably get suited a week before the 4th year.

Comment

Everyone here has already said this, but let me agree with them: if what you say is true, you got bad advice. I filed with over $50,000 in ONLY credit card debt, under the median income so no means test, and that was that. Talk to an attorney or two... or three!
      Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by pikaroth View Post
        Everyone here has already said this, but let me agree with them: if what you say is true, you got bad advice. I filed with over $50,000 in ONLY credit card debt, under the median income so no means test, and that was that. Talk to an attorney or two... or three!
        great advise pikaroth!! and so nice to see you!!! hope life is going great now that it's all over for you.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          great advise pikaroth!! and so nice to see you!!! hope life is going great now that it's all over for you.
          It's going GREAT. So, so, SO glad that I went through this. It's a scary ride, but the destination is worth it.
          Decided on Chapter 7: October 13, 2010; Retained Attorney: October 20, 2010; Filed Chapter 7: February 4, 2011; 341 Meeting: March 23, 2011; Discharged: May 24, 2011

Comment

It's going GREAT. So, so, SO glad that I went through this. It's a scary ride, but the destination is worth it.
            glad to hear that! haven't seen you for a bit and was hoping you were doing wonderful.

by the way, can you please send us some rain?? LOL!!!!!!
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I filed with 175k in pure credit card debt, about 280k debt total. We owed NFCU 75k alone between me and my wife. We had one Amex credit card with 25k on it. My wife decided to stay home with our young child so we could get under the median income limit and filed 6 months later.

Only about 70k of the credit card debt was actually used at first, we remolded a house with it and bought furniture. When things went bad we used credit cards to cover the negative income for about 2 years which caused the additional 100k in debt. The sad reality is if they had kept bumping our limits we would have kept doing it. We had some sad sense that we could somehow repay this down the road.

Now almost 3 years later we are completely different people. We have a strict budget and pay ourselves first. We do have credit cards now but they stay at 0 balance and only used for things like hotels etc where credit cards are needed. I never intend to seek high limit cards again.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                glad to hear that! haven't seen you for a bit and was hoping you were doing wonderful.

by the way, can you please send us some rain?? LOL!!!!!!
                I'm looking for some rain, too!

Without trying to derail this thread, I don't know if you saw my discharge post, but if not, it's here!

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...s-finally-over!

I could NOT have done it without you, tobee!

Comment

I'm looking for some rain, too!

Without trying to derail this thread, I don't know if you saw my discharge post, but if not, it's here!

http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...s-finally-over!

I could NOT have done it without you, tobee!
                  really pikaroth, i just can't believe i missed your thread!!!!! of course, you could have done it without me!! you do!! i did want to go with you to your 341..LOL!! but i knew you would do just fine and you did! wwhopppppppeeeeeee!!!

Comment

More encouragement for you - we filed Chapter 7 with more CC debt (something like $85K but I can't remember exactly) and a WHOLE lot more other unsecured debt. Medical bills, like you have. Also some big deficiency judgments on investment properties. Of course, I still have my student loans!

I agree that you should get another lawyer's opinion. He might have been accurate about large numbers drawing more attention, but that just means you have to be more organized. Your CC debt isn't crazy high; and it's OLD for pete's sake! Not a good enough reason to file 13, IMHO.
                    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

We filed with about $85,000 credit card debt (nothing else, only credit card) debt and no assets. The trustee looked amazed and said, "How did you get so much debt, were you just charging with no intent to ever repay?", to which I responded, "This was a result of years of poor financial planning". He said okay and that was about it. I spent about an hour at the 341 listening to all those who were ahead of me. My time before the trustee was probably less that 2 or 3 minutes and then it was over. Get a new lawyer!
                      File Date Feb 1, 2010
                      341 Mar 8, 2010
                      Discharged and closed May 10, 2010
                      Being very careful and wise with fresh start!......Living happily ever after since!

Comment

I think we had 100-120k in CC debt when we filed. Most of it was old, but no more than one year. No questions or problems.
                        11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                        12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                        3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

I filed with $33k in unsecured debt.

Comment

filed with $175k worth of cc debt, trustee asked how it got so high? Job loss for both wife and I. Only question trustee asked beside the normal questions. Unless you plan on trying to wipe out a second / third mortgage on your house, from what you have said best for you to file ch7. Like stated before FIND A DIFFERENT ATTORNEY, this one is looking at their income not yours.

Comment

I filled 88,000K+ DISCHARGED; no questions; asked why I filled; said my Dedt to Income Ratio was to High, must have been in there for like 90 Secs or less, spent more time waiting and parking!
                              Get a good Lawyer; they are golden!

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm a little late to the party. Not proud of the numbers, but 125K in credit debt here. I have over 40K in one particular card. Trustee doesn't even seem to notice when he went over my paperwork. I'm in CA, so that might make a difference. Best is consult with several more attys like the others say.
                                +125K Unsecured so far. Change your cellphone#, give all creditors your Google Voice#, and turn on the "do not disturb." Now enjoy the rest of your day . Thank you Chase: I deal with you last.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X