2 yrs post discharge, getting sued over tall grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by murphsmom View Post
    I'd definitely ask an attorney, but how can the bank come after you if the mortgage is discharged and you aren't liable for it any more? Our home is not foreclosing, we modified the mortgage and are staying.
    They would be coming after the rent you collected. Not the mortgage. It's one thing to save money while living there rent free, it's a completely different story to be charging someone rent on a property that you are not paying the mortgage on. There may be no legal reason not to, but there might be so it's better to consult with an attorney first.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      i don't know where exactly you are in nj, however, i know it does in fact depend. now, in my daughters town, they go after the homeowners for every thing!! every single little thing. and, when they were moving to north carolina they got called almost daily by the town just for having a few doors off to get out their furniture!!!! they were threaten with fines and fees and on and on. even AFTER they left, they did a rent option to buy land contract on that home, and the town STILL was calling her about everything. it finally stopped since the broker handling the land contract intervened.

however, in our township, a neighbor called when we piled our wood in a corner of our property, they called the town, (township muni), and the county and actually the police about the fact the wood was located on his property line. well, it was made very clear to my old neighbor, both the town and the country and, in fact, the police we could do anything we wanted in and or on our property...even DUMP garbage!!!! (can you believe this!!) i'm really NOT wanting to let you know which county it was in, but you can get an idea re: it was in the woods and mountains..
      There is an ordinance in my town that does allow them to come and cut the grass and charge the homeowner. Given that I am still living in that town, just in a different location, I do have to worry about it. They don't really enforce (a friend of mine had an abandoned house, not a foreclosure, next door that the town did nothing about for months. The realtor finally contacted the owners and they at least kept up the front lawn) that ordinance unless you live on the main thorough fare. Which is where the house is located. So I will go once a month and cut the grass in the front lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
        There is an ordinance in my town that does allow them to come and cut the grass and charge the homeowner. Given that I am still living in that town, just in a different location, I do have to worry about it. They don't really enforce (a friend of mine had an abandoned house, not a foreclosure, next door that the town did nothing about for months. The realtor finally contacted the owners and they at least kept up the front lawn) that ordinance unless you live on the main thorough fare. Which is where the house is located. So I will go once a month and cut the grass in the front lawn.
        well, i'm surely glad for you, that you were able to work out the situation. i'm certain it will prevent more stress and aggravation in the future with a possible law suit from the town. i think the key is whether there is an existing ordinance or not. when you live in the boonies like we did, i guess that was one of the bennies?? since the nearest mall was over an hour away, and that was a pain at times. LOL!!
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

At one time I was living in Beverly, NJ. I went on a temporary duty assignment that was supposed to last 14 days. That 14 day TDY turned into a deployment that lasted quite a bit longer. I was more worried about avoiding being shot, blown up or otherwise killed so the yard was really not high on my priority list.

The municipality issued 30 tickets to the property during my deployment. They also mowed the grass and mailed the bills. It wound up costing me a couple thousand to get it resolved plus a lawyer. Just to add insult to injury, they also towed and impounded my vehicle which was parked in the DRIVEWAY because the registration expired! They wound up releasing the vehicle without any payment when my attorney promised that he would get them featured on the 6:00 news for the way they treated a deployed military officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
            At one time I was living in Beverly, NJ. I went on a temporary duty assignment that was supposed to last 14 days. That 14 day TDY turned into a deployment that lasted quite a bit longer. I was more worried about avoiding being shot, blown up or otherwise killed so the yard was really not high on my priority list.

The municipality issued 30 tickets to the property during my deployment. They also mowed the grass and mailed the bills. It wound up costing me a couple thousand to get it resolved plus a lawyer. Just to add insult to injury, they also towed and impounded my vehicle which was parked in the DRIVEWAY because the registration expired! They wound up releasing the vehicle without any payment when my attorney promised that he would get them featured on the 6:00 news for the way they treated a deployed military officer.
            welcome to nj!!! NOT!!

that is a terrible story, i'm so sorry ...here you are putting your life on the line for our country and this is the way you get treated??? i must admit to you, i'm somewhat surprised the atty couldn't do better for you since you were deployed??? i understand, i really don't have a right to judge what type of job the atty did, but shoot, it is just heart breaking to hear such a story as what you told

sounds like the ONLY thing we lucked out on in nj is we lived out in the woods with none of those ordinances to worry about. that's about ALL the good i can say about living there for many years.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Personally, I think I would have let the newsfolks know that story. It's a terrible thing when those of you who are protecting us are not protected by us when they serve their country.

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                Personally, I think I would have let the newsfolks know that story. It's a terrible thing when those of you who are protecting us are not protected by us when they serve their country.
                i do as well...it makes my blood boil!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X