few questions about chpt 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

few questions about chpt 7

I have a car that's worth 6600 bucks paid off. In PA you can use either Federal or State exemptions. The question is could I use part of the homestead exemption to cover the remainder to keep my car? I do not own a house.

I also have a account from a college I went to with a 1500 balance. It's not a loan. Is this discharged?

If I listed the account and it wasn't discharged would the entire filing be thrown out and NONE of my debts discharged?

I believe you can apply up to $10,825 of unused homestead exemption to personal property. Also, if you list the account from the college, and it is determined to be non-dischargeable, you will just have to pay that debt. The other legitimate debts in the petition would not be affected.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by free2breathe View Post
      I believe you can apply up to $10,825 of unused homestead exemption to personal property. Also, if you list the account from the college, and it is determined to be non-dischargeable, you will just have to pay that debt. The other legitimate debts in the petition would not be affected.

Ok, would I be able tofile my bankcruptcy at the local county court?

Comment

Originally posted by gdddd106 View Post
        Ok, would I be able tofile my bankcruptcy at the local county court?
        You have to file at the bankruptcy court. To find out the location, just go to Google, type in "Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Court" and you'll be able to find your district, informtion on filing, fees, local rules, etc.

Comment

If you are thinking of filing bankruptcy pro se... I highly highly highly recommend that you get a few consultations with attorneys first. You are now talking about "juicy" assets that have equity. The Trustee love this type of case... where you don't know what you're doing. If you still decide to go pro se, please please please obtain a guidebook and ask a lot more questions.

I don't want to see you lose an asset because you didn't plan correctly (or didn't use an attorney).

The college loan is non-dischargeable (period). The only way to seek its discharge, is to file a "complaint" and seek to have the loan declared dischargeable. It's a large hurdle to do that.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I been doing research since my initial post. I've filled out the paper work. Went over them. I however would rather file the petition by mail cause of the near 3 hour drive and my work schedule. However I can't find an address on the website.

Comment

First, I would recomment making the drive to file in person. However, if you really don't feel like you can do that, I would contact the court clerk to get the mailing address directly from them. I did find addresses for both the Eastern and Western Districts though.
              From the Eastern PA site, the following addresses are listed -
              Philadelphia address:
              Robert N.C. Nix, Sr. Federal Courthouse
              900 Market Street, Suite 400
              Philadelphia, PA 19107
              Reading address:
              The Madison Building
              400 Washington Street
              Reading, PA 19601

From the Western PA site the following are listed -

Pittsburgh

U.S. Bankruptcy Court
              5414 U.S. Steel Tower
              600 Grant Street
              Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Erie

U.S. Bankruptcy Court
              U.S. Courthouse
              Room B160
              17 South Park Row
              Erie, PA 16501

Johnstown

U.S. Bankruptcy Court
              Penn Traffic Building
              Johnstown, PA 15901

Also, I would caution you to not have any changes to the balance of your checking account from the date you mail the petition until you are sure it's been received and recorded. They will technically use the balance on the DATE that the petition is actually FILED, rather than the day you mailed it.

I mailed ours, but if I had it to do over again, I'd have driven the three hours to hand deliver it.

Comment

I have a car that's worth 6600 bucks paid off. In PA you can use either Federal or State exemptions. The question is could I use part of the homestead exemption to cover the remainder to keep my car? I do not own a house.

I also have a account from a college I went to with a 1500 balance. It's not a loan. Is this discharged?

If I listed the account and it wasn't discharged would the entire filing be thrown out and NONE of my debts discharged?
                Just curious - is this school account an 'Educard' account with DeVry?
                ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Well I got my case # and stuff in the mail. Along with what I am missing. Mostly the Schedules, a local form, and copies of my pay stubs...

How ever I am not sure "A certicicate that the individual debtor was given the informational notice required by 11usc342(B)" is or how I obtain it now?

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                    Just curious - is this school account an 'Educard' account with DeVry?
                    Nope. Local University.

Comment

It appears it is this form: B 201A (Form 201A)

You can obtain it on the US Trustee website here: http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees...ptcyForms.aspx

Just click on the hyperlink for B 201A

Hope this helps!!
                      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

Nope. Local University.
                        Okay - I just had experience handling this with DeVry and it was dischargeable.

Comment

It appears it is this form: B 201A (Form 201A)

Just click on the hyperlink for B 201A

Hope this helps!!
                          thanks! Yes it does. I'm off all weekend so I'm planning on double checking all my exemptions. That's my big worry right now. I have a car paid off thats a 2007 Ford Taurus its priv value is 6500.00.... I hear you can combine federal exemption and combine it with the left over homestead exemption? So I'll be looking into it.

Comment

You can do that!! Using the Federal exemption set, the wild card that is created by the unused portion of the homestead exemption can be split and stacked on top of other exemptions. So for your Taurus you would use the federal auto exemption of $3,450 plus $3,050 of the wild card.

We used the Federal exemption set when we filed. If you expect a tax refund, you can use part of the wild card to cover that, too.

Comment

You can do that!! Using the Federal exemption set, the wild card that is created by the unused portion of the homestead exemption can be split and stacked on top of other exemptions. So for your Taurus you would use the federal auto exemption of $3,450 plus $3,050 of the wild card.

We used the Federal exemption set when we filed. If you expect a tax refund, you can use part of the wild card to cover that, too.
                              Yeah, From what I was reading I figured that, that's why I jumped the gun and filed the voluntary petition. So I can focus solely on the exemptions and stuff without worrying about creditors bugging me.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X