top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone who has filed Ch 7 dealt with "secured" credit cards (Dell, Best Buy, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone who has filed Ch 7 dealt with "secured" credit cards (Dell, Best Buy, etc)

When I first met with my attorney, he said that some of my credit cards, were "secured" credit cards and that I would have to reaffirm them or return the merchandise.

Obviously I wouldn't reaffirm.

Has anyone had to deal with returning their items? I need my computer for work, and wonder about the security of my years of information stored on it should I have to give it back, and my television from Best Buy is over 3 years old.

They're going to huff and puff, attempt to get you to reaffirm, tell you that they're coming to pick it up, etc.

3 year old TV?
    Used computer?

Worthless pieces of junk........

Just tell them to come on and get them. Odds are, they will go away. However, be prepared for the slight chance that they will actually do it.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I have the same question. We have a mattress on a store card and a $200 TV on a best buy card. The mattress is 2 years old now and kids sleep on it so it is gross. The tv, is $200 retail now used TV worth coming after?

Comment

APL and Rebecca,

Tell em to come and get em! Don't reaffirm and take your chances, they know they would not get 10.00 for any of those items. It would cost them more in gas these days....LOL>
        Filed CH 7 4/15/11
        341 5/23/11
        DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

It will be really interesting to find out what the furniture company does in my case. They tried to get me to sign a reaff. I didnt of course. I thought they would then contest the discharge - they havent (although they still have another week to do so, but no scare letters or anything so I dont think they will) - and I dont HAVE the furniture anymore. SO, have fun!

Comment

I had that same question come up re: best buy and my desktop. My lawyer said there wouldnt be an issue brought up regarding this, as I used the car to purchase other items other than just the initial desktop I got the financing for 3 yrs ago.
            Ch 7 filed 8/15/11 341 9/22/11 Discharge 11/28/11
            The rebuilding begins

Comment

If any secured debt on consumer items becomes an issue I would advise that your attorney file a redemption order like mine did.
              Here is the thread outlining my experience http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...ht=patio+doors

I realize that your items may be of less value than my doors were but you could file to redeem for $10. If they do not object the judge will sign order and you send them a check for $10.

Comment

Do NOT reaffirm these product charges. Tell them that if they want to come pick up their stuff that it is all sitting in the front yard and they better hurry because it is starting to rain pretty hard.

Unless the charges are recent (last 6 months or so) for some pretty respectable items (Stickley furniture, new sound system for your disco room) then the creditors will only make noise about coming to get it.

Just noise. That's all.

Comment

i use to think it was all "noise" with best buy. i thought really now, what do that have a dept with all used reposed goods. never happen...right??

wrong!!! i went into a best buy and what do i see...an entire dept of used or refurbished items!!! now as for couches and mattress, a naughty cat or doggie will take care of that one for you. towards the "end" of the free money credit era, places like best buy and some others put these clauses in their agreements whereas the debt was secured by the goods.

i agree with the PP...i would never ever affirm. tell your atty that's not an option, of course unless it's a 2k mattress and you only owe a couple of hundred dollars and it's in excellent condition. ( at least that would be the only time i would consider that).
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

What if you no longer have the item - what happens then?

Comment

As other posters would say - nothing - they will go away - those items are worthless now anyway.

BUT - just fyi - my spouse had a Dell account (which is probably the ONLY one I'm sorry that goes away, as I need computer stuff from time to time as I work p/t teaching online) anyway - they sold the acct to some (i forget who) collections agency and it was put the 13 as an UNSECURED claim.

Comment

if you don't have them...then there is nothing to take. some best buy situations have still attempted to get money.

i agree they will most likely go away, but i have seen then push a few, but most likely they were very large purchases...i'm guessing???
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X