top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I supposed to keep *every* receipt and/or log every penny 90 days prior to filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I supposed to keep *every* receipt and/or log every penny 90 days prior to filing?

I'm a little unclear on this and our attorney is out of town this week. We're now within the 90 days before we will file. We obviously aren't using our credit cards (or paying them) per our attorney's advice, but I'm wondering if we're going to have to account for every penny we spend or take out of the bank? I mean, do I need to get a receipt when I pay for gas, or buy groceries? Or a pizza? Or when I give my son money to grab dinner with a friend? Or do trustees just expect a reasonable amount of spending?

Thanks for any advice and guidance you can give me!

You'll get more bites if you post under "Chapter 7" forum. Anyhoo, I thought I had to, but I didn't and I had an attorney. Just live like normal. "Normal" being the operative word. Don't make any big purchases.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

OK, thanks! I'll go post this there right now, and I appreciate your advice, too!

Comment

Hi Brennan: I moved your post into the Chapter7 Board. To answer your question, we keep receipts for everything fairly major. For a while before and during our BK, I kept every single receipt for every little thing, including the coffee at the local minit-mart. This helped us to see where our money was going. Especially keep track of your grocery and gas expenditures; those will likely be the major parts of your budgeting.

Good luck!

PS: Please do not make duplicate posts. PM a Mod and ask that it be moved, if it needs to be. Duplicate threads create problems for people trying to follow them both and respond. Thanks!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          Hi Brennan: I moved your post into the Chapter7 Board. To answer your question, we keep receipts for everything fairly major. For a while before and during our BK, I kept every single receipt for every little thing, including the coffee at the local minit-mart. This helped us to see where our money was going. Especially keep track of your grocery and gas expenditures; those will likely be the major parts of your budgeting.

Good luck!

PS: Please do not make duplicate posts. PM a Mod and ask that it be moved, if it needs to be. Duplicate threads create problems for people trying to follow them both and respond. Thanks!
          Thanks for the advice, and my sincere apologies for the duplicate post! I'll be careful not to do that again.

Comment

Hi---brennan---I became anal-retentive about receipts---and kept
            them for the smallest purchases---and my lawyer told me that I was
            really overly conscientious---but I told him better that than under-
            reporting---so to speak---and I learned the details from this board.

Comment

There is no reason "not" to keep receipts. Even if you don't want to file them, you probably have a shoebox around. If nothing else, drop them in a bag or box for reference if needed.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

we just found it "easier" to use our check book and or debit cards for ALL bills and purchases during that time. that way, if the trustee wanted to know where, how or when it was immediately found on our bank statements. it just made everything easier to account for, if needed.

we didn't need any of it though, after the initial filing and the submission for the original number of bank statement requested at the time of filing, we were never asked for any others. i still brought them with me to the 341...just in case, but never needed them.
                8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

OK, so then I guess from this point forward we'll try and keep all our receipts. I agree it will definitely make us more conscious of what we spend, and that is always a good thing. ;) And Frogger, great idea with the shoebox. I'll throw one on the computer desk and tell everyone to make sure their receipts get put in there.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I think every district is probably different, but I was not asked for any receipts for anything. I don't think I even had to provide bank account statements (though I had them). I was not even asked how I spent my $4500 tax refund. Not only that, my attorney had me estimate the value of my possessions (in VERY general terms) and never asked for a list or item valuations. I had my house appraised, but was never asked to show the appraisal. My attorney's response when he saw my notebook (with all kinds of documentation) was "great, bring it to court if you want but I don't need to see it". YMMV!

Comment

Sillywalks, I had exactly the same experience.
                      Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drowning123 View Post
                        Sillywalks, I had exactly the same experience.
                        ditto, but i have seen and heard about some that were asked for additional info from the trustee, but it was usually either an unusual circumstance or a possible asset 7 etc.
                        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                          ditto, but i have seen and heard about some that were asked for additional info from the trustee, but it was usually either an unusual circumstance or a possible asset 7 etc.
                          Honestly, I barely know what day it is...but 99% of my spending is debit card or check...nothing unusual, except two take-outs - #1 - wife sick; #2 - son's soccer tournament celebration. Otherwise, gas gas gas (oh and more gas), mort, car, supermarket, drugstore, dr, shrink, shrink, more shrink, and oh yeah - more gas :-)

Comment

What type of gas? LOL. Oh, I forgot you say you pay for it, so it must be fuel for the car. LOL. No one pays for the other type. LOL.

Comment

You are hilarious!!!! Yep the type I pay for...although this whole thing is giving me gas of another kind :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X