top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allowed housing expenses? The county standard or what you actually pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowed housing expenses? The county standard or what you actually pay?

I'm still really confused about expenses and housing allowances. When I was servicing those minimums, all I could afford in the way of housing was literally renting a single room in a house. I had nothing left over at all so a room rental was my only option. Clearly, that is not a normal reasonable living expense for a married couple. However now that I've stopped paying the CC's, it looks like I have a LOT of disposable income. Do I use the "standard" housing expense for my county or what I'm currently actually paying (which isn't sustainable unless I'm expected to always live in a rented room the next 10 years).

Really confused by this!

CA: Orange County
    Income: $58K for household of two
    Unsecured CC debt: $140K +/-

Thanks!

The Mortgage/Rent expense for a family of 2 in Orange County California is $1,671/month. You're saying you can't get a room for $1,671/month. A quick cursory glance shows many apartments in Anaheim for around $1,200-$1,600 for a 2 bedroom. To me, this seems that the United States Trustee's Allowances are in line.

What do you think the allowance is for 2 people in Orange County California?

(FYI: Orange County has the highest allowances for mortgage/rent and non-mortgage/non-rent expense in the entire State of California.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You can use the allowance. No worries.

Comment

You use what you actually pay UP TO the IRS standard. So it's time to get yourself an apartment/house so that you can use the higher rent allowance. Obviously, you don't want to have to list your "room rent" and then end up in a ch.13 due to excess DMI. Do not list the IRS standard when you're paying less though. You will use your actual rental amount.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Except for on the Means Test. On the Means Test (Form B22A), you use the IRS allowance. Schedule I and J, however, are actual with a slight view towards the future. You could argue that the IRS allowance is in line with what you will be paying in the future view. Of course, an attorney would argue that for you and I don't think you'd get much of an argument from the Trustee.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
            Schedule I and J, however, are actual with a slight view towards the future.
            I wonder what that italics means?

Unless the difference between what you actually pay given your situation vs. what you would NORMALLY pay is massive, I'd think you are fine to claim the exemption or just south of it. After all, once you stop paying bills 3-4 months before fining, you have the cash to move in to a reasonable place, right? Right?

Excess DMI resulting in a Ch 13 is largely a result of poor planning or some extenuating circumstance where you are unable or unwilling to surrender an asset. Anyone below the median income level who has a valuable Beanie Baby or lunchbox collection they refuse to surrender...we can't help you. Otherwise, Ch 7 is for real. And your life will be better, if you choose. Pretty much starting today.

Otherwise, I stand by my maxim - the Means Test is a test to be passed or find a way to pass. If you have to find a way to pass it, make sure your attorney is experienced and informed.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
              I wonder what that italics means?
              It is an emphasis that didn't require bold writing. It is pretty good caselaw that Schedule I/J is forward looking, especially after the Lanning decision.

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
              Otherwise, I stand by my maxim - the Means Test is a test to be passed or find a way to pass. If you have to find a way to pass it, make sure your attorney is experienced and informed.
              There is no reason an under-the-median income debtor can't pass the Means Test at all. If you are over-the-median, it's a different story. The test was designed to cause the majority of over-the-median debtors to fail with "sufficient" income to fund a Chapter 13.

Comment

There is no reason an under-the-median income debtor can't pass the Means Test at all. If you are over-the-median, it's a different story. The test was designed to cause the majority of over-the-median debtors to fail with "sufficient" income to fund a Chapter 13.
                Exactly. And $58k is well under median for Orange County. Unless the OP give the Trustee a reason to grab his microscope, I would think that any reasonable claim for expenses not exceeding federal standards would be allowable.

I know of several under-median Ch 13 cases where the debtor was either handcuffed or absolutely petulant about a "thing" they could not surrender. Sad., because the slide into BK is generally a fairly gradual one with plenty of time to arrange matters to a more friendly version of debt forgiveness. Endentured servitude for 3-5 years after filing isn't what I had in mind when I heard the words "fresh start"

Comment

Well, even though you make Chapter 13 seem like a death sentence or some sort of slavery, it is a tool for those of us who actually wanted to restructure debt. Of course, I'm not the poster-child for the correct way to use a Chapter 13 Reorganization. I converted to Chapter 7 some 20 months into my confirmed plan.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate all the help I've been given in this forum.

Comment

The Mortgage/Rent expense for a family of 2 in Orange County California is $1,671/month. You're saying you can't get a room for $1,671/month. A quick cursory glance shows many apartments in Anaheim for around $1,200-$1,600 for a 2 bedroom. To me, this seems that the United States Trustee's Allowances are in line.

What do you think the allowance is for 2 people in Orange County California?

(FYI: Orange County has the highest allowances for mortgage/rent and non-mortgage/non-rent expense in the entire State of California.)
                      justbroke,

I pay $850/month to rent a room as a single person. At the time, when I first got my job, that was all I could afford given the expense of servicing all the minimums on my cards. Now that I've stopped paying, I obviously have more disposable income to use towards my own apartment. I saw the allowance before. I was just unsure if they used that standard of $1671 or the $850 I was paying for a single room.

Comment

You would use the allowance on the Means Test. You can use the allowance on Schedule I/J since the Lanning decision says that it's forward looking. I don't think it's reasonable that you pay for a room for your whole life! Besides, you are under-the-median so the Trustee (and UST) aren't really going to be busting your chops over filing Chapter 7 anyhow.

Comment

Thank you for all your feedback! I don't know what I'd do without this forum. I wish I found it sooner!

Comment

Under the median filers don't have to complete the means test, so OP only has to worry about I/J.
                            Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                            0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Originally posted by momofthree View Post
                              Under the median filers don't have to complete the means test, so OP only has to worry about I/J.
                              mom, you're on top of things! Yes, you do not complete the entire means test. You only complete the top section to figure out that you don't need to fill out the entire form.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X