New Dr. bills...can't include right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dr. bills...can't include right?

Ugh! Had our 341 over two weeks ago, and just had an ER visit for my daughter....$2000.00 I'm SOL right??? Have no insurance, and she had pnuemonia.

i would call your atty and see if you can file an amended petition and list the bills. it may cost you but not that much most likely under $200...but it's better than 2k. i would make the call and see what your atty can do

best of luck!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Actually I think you are out of luck. If this were follow-up treatments for something that had occurred BEFORE you filed, there is the argument there that they could be included. But these appear to be brand NEW charges for something that happened after you filed.

Ask your attorney anyway, but I believe that he/she will agree with me. Sorry.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

yes, AC you have an excellent point since the petition is from what you have already incurred as opposed to new debts.

i hope for the OP's sake it can be done, but i think you're right on with this one.

i would still try...it doesn't hurt to try right?
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
          i would still try...it doesn't hurt to try right?
          Correct. If you ask the question, you have a 50/50 chance of a 'yes' or a 'no'. But if you DON'T ask the question, you have 100% chance of it being 'no'.

Comment

I am sure the answer in "No" and these bills cannot be included, but yeah it never hurts to ask...but really, the ER visit was $3K and they discounted it by 75% as we have no insurance. BUt, the DR. visit was billed separate. They want $800.00 just for the 15 minutes the Dr. spent with my daughter, checking her vitals...outrageous! I called to negotiate and the Rep. on the phone said I would have to send my request in writing...she wouldn't negotiate it with me over the phone. Not sure how to proceed.

Comment

I would go in and talk with the billing office in person. Sometimes you have a much better chance when you can face each other in person. You will also most likely need to provide a letter explaining your financial situation, so that they can put it in your file. I did this with our health care provider. And the letter was necessary to have on hand for their annual audit.

Good luck to you. And I hope your daughter is very much better.

Comment

i would do the same thing and go into the business office. angelina cat makes an excellent point face them person to person. they usually end up reducing it or writing it off. after all...even if they sued someone that just went bk, what are they going to get.

once again best of luck and i also hope you daughter is doing better.

Comment

Unfortunately the billing dept. is out of Pennsylvania, Im in AZ. I have to do everything over the phone. However, in my letter I included that I was facing bankruptcy and was unemployed. I didn't mention that I already filed as what good would it do, I want them to think I may have to include their bill in a BK filing. So, we'll see where that gets me. The hospital, like I mentioned discounted my bill by 75%. Also, they are allowing me a year to pay this off. So, now I wait....

Comment

The hospital has someone there that DOES talk to the patients and the family about billing, even though he/she might only be a glorified paper-pusher. Take your letter and go in and talk with that person anyway. It won't do any harm.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                      The hospital has someone there that DOES talk to the patients and the family about billing, even though he/she might only be a glorified paper-pusher. Take your letter and go in and talk with that person anyway. It won't do any harm.

Good luck!
                      AngelinaCat....The hospital and dr. visit are billed separately. They made that clear to me several times. So, Im not sure how taking the Dr. bill into the hospital will do me any good? They were really great with me when I made it clear that I did not have insurance and they are allowing me monthly payments for the hospital visit, 12 mo. minimum 50/mo. I can handle that. When I wrote my letter for the Dr. bill, they said I should hear something in a week. If they do not discount my bill by atleast 50% then I will take further action. Or no action...they can take me to collections...and I'll negotiate with them....

Comment

Originally posted by sassiebaz View Post
                        AngelinaCat....The hospital and dr. visit are billed separately. They made that clear to me several times. So, Im not sure how taking the Dr. bill into the hospital will do me any good? They were really great with me when I made it clear that I did not have insurance and they are allowing me monthly payments for the hospital visit, 12 mo. minimum 50/mo. I can handle that. When I wrote my letter for the Dr. bill, they said I should hear something in a week. If they do not discount my bill by atleast 50% then I will take further action. Or no action...they can take me to collections...and I'll negotiate with them....
                        sassie, first I hope your daugther is ok!!!!!!

And you're right the dr and hospital billers have NOTHING to do with each other - be persistent don't take no for an answer and you will get a discount and a payment plan. You WILL - BE PERSISTENT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sassiebaz View Post
                          Or no action...they can take me to collections...and I'll negotiate with them....
                          It might be wise just to pay off the $50/month since you just filed BK and you said you can handle that payment. Probably not a good idea to have another bill go to collections after BK. That won't be good for when you start trying to build up your credit again. They did discount it 75% already, so it's doubtful that they will discount it any further than that. I know it sucks because it seems like you just got out of a bad situation and now are back in it. Most medical bills don't report to credit reports if they don't go to collections so at least if you pay some each month you can prevent that from happening.
                          Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                            It might be wise just to pay off the $50/month since you just filed BK and you said you can handle that payment. Probably not a good idea to have another bill go to collections after BK. That won't be good for when you start trying to build up your credit again. They did discount it 75% already, so it's doubtful that they will discount it any further than that. I know it sucks because it seems like you just got out of a bad situation and now are back in it. Most medical bills don't report to credit reports if they don't go to collections so at least if you pay some each month you can prevent that from happening.
                            The Hosp. bill is the only one that has agreed to any discount and payment plan thus far. I am still waiting to hear about the $800.00 Dr. bill (for all of 10 minutes withh the Dr.) as I wrote a letter stating why I could not afford such a bill. I do not want it to go to collections, I just want to pay a fair amount. In my opinion, not more than a couple hundred. Not sure how it will go, but I may drag it out and drag it out until the last minute and then maybe they will negotiate???

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                              sassie, first I hope your daugther is ok!!!!!!

And you're right the dr and hospital billers have NOTHING to do with each other - be persistent don't take no for an answer and you will get a discount and a payment plan. You WILL - BE PERSISTENT!!!!
                              Yes, she is fine thank you. "Touch of Pnuemonia" is what they said. I really could have waitied and taken her to an Urgent care, it was a Sunday evening. But, when your child is complaining of chest pain, the first response is get her seen ASAP!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X