Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? About Tithing

Hi Forum Members!!

Had another meeting with my attny today and he is certain that I qualify for a Chap 7! I need to get proof of tithing to my church...Have been visiting a church for about 6-9mths now, and have put money in the plate, but have just recently started paying by check...don't ask me why I didn't pay by check from the get-go...just that 6 months ago, I hadn't contemplated bankruptcy, and I tithe because I'm a Christian and it's the right thing to do,not just for a tax write-off...Anyway, he said to go ahead and get a record of the tithing over the next few weeks, I'm still getting all my necessary documents together. I tithed very little last year to show on taxes, mostly cash that I could spare in the offering plate..So, am I doomed on this?
    Thanks

No, you are not doomed by it. In many instances, the Trustee never even checks the documentation. I submitted no documentation and my tithes are in the thousands of dollars annually. However, I'm an IRS Schedule A filer (itemization) so it's on my tax returns as well.

Is the tithing what's keeping your disposable income low enough to be in a Chapter 7? Are you over the median? If the answers are no, then I don't even think you should even "think" about thoughts of starting to worry.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hi Just Broke.. I am over the median, and the tithing and childcare expense are certainly a part of why I am going to qualify for a 7, also had a reduction in pay and my expenses pretty much outweigh my income...oh goodness, now I'm worried, all I can do is be honest and submit the info and hope for the best...

Comment

Agree with justbroke....your tax return should show it...I gave my attorney all copies of my checks for tithing...so I was good to go...but again if you itemize you should have taken that deduction, so it will appear on your tax returns :-)

BTW, I have it showing on my tax return too:-)

Comment

well...like I said, I'm just gonna be honest and turn in what I have and hope for the best...an that's all I can do

Comment

Originally posted by 911mom View Post
            Hi Just Broke.. I am over the median, and the tithing and childcare expense are certainly a part of why I am going to qualify for a 7, also had a reduction in pay and my expenses pretty much outweigh my income...oh goodness, now I'm worried, all I can do is be honest and submit the info and hope for the best...
            Don't worry. You just said that your expenses surpass your income. That's called negative DMI! Unless you're at $0.00 DMI and tithing over $200/month, it won't even be a question.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We Tithe at a much higher level... and we have had NO issues. We started in c13 and converted to c7 after 2.5 years. While I have 90% of the tithing documentation; no ever questioned the amount or the tithing itself.

Key is to be honest and show proper records where you can. From my experiance you shouldn't have any issues. Again, first honesty and then try your best to document what you can.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X