top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can a bankruptcy proceeding be held when I am not there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When can a bankruptcy proceeding be held when I am not there?

I don't live in the U.S. and it would cost me about 1 months salary to return to the U.S. during my vacation times. I would get reimbursed by my school for the airfare but I have been using that money to make ends meet in the past. When I read the rules about the debtor having to show up for the proceedings there was mention of a possibility of me not having to show. Under what circumstances might that be?

Unless you are military, it is highly unlikely that any Trustee would grant you permission to not attend the 341 Meeting. The purpose of the 341 Meeting is to examine you under oath and to allow your creditors the same. Even military not in a combat situation, may find their 341 Meeting only "delayed" to allow them time to return Stateside. Military in a combat zone are usually excused from attendance by the Trustee.

It is really up to the Trustee and they don't let many things slide by. You just mentioned that you are actually paid by your school to return Stateside, but choose to spend the money on bills. If the bills are going to be discharged, then why spend the money on the bills? (Noting that if you told the Trustee what you posted here, they'd probably have no sympathy. Think of a military person in a combat zone; they have no choice.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X