No announcement yet.

"Debtor could reasonably be expected to reduce living expenses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think everyone is pretty much in same situation, You will not be in prison by yourself. I will be filing soon and I wish I could get a 7 so I could walk away. Stay away from the chap 7 forum its depressing. The good news you will be out of debt in 5 years. At this point anything is better than being harassed 24 hr a day. Unfortuanetly many proffessionals are in the same boat we get nailed on taxes and receive nothing in return. I am right there with you. Just hoping I have enough to pay my reg bills and food.

Comment

Originally posted by karm43 View Post
      I think everyone is pretty much in same situation, You will not be in prison by yourself. I will be filing soon and I wish I could get a 7 so I could walk away. Stay away from the chap 7 forum its depressing. The good news you will be out of debt in 5 years. At this point anything is better than being harassed 24 hr a day. Unfortuanetly many proffessionals are in the same boat we get nailed on taxes and receive nothing in return. I am right there with you. Just hoping I have enough to pay my reg bills and food.

You're right. I should probably migrate over to the 13 Board now that my 7 hopes have pretty much been squished. Just been trying to answer the posts or questions here in the thread I began.
      Filed CH 7 Sept. 2011 - UST Motion to Dismiss (presumption of abuse) Dec. 2011 - Converted to CH 13 Feb. 2012 - Plan Confirmation May 2012 - Expected Discharge June 2017

Comment

Originally posted by alorth View Post
        You're right. I should probably migrate over to the 13 Board now that my 7 hopes have pretty much been squished. Just been trying to answer the posts or questions here in the thread I began.
        A very good thread though.

I'm not either. It could be a point of contention. She only spends 3 hours/day 5 days/wk there, but I feel she is learning so much more than I could give to her on my own. I do take care of her myself the rest of the time. Montessori schools are known to be high cost...and I can hear the UST or Judge saying we 'just can't afford it' now that we're in BK. maybe they're right, but I do feel its in the best interest of my daughter, and intend to fight for it.

Alorth, for $600 a month, you mean you could not teach her the alphabet, what numbers mean, and get her onto the road to reading before kindergarten? If you put that child into "Public (government) Schools" she will not get what you can give her. Check out the idiots attempting riots that they don't even know why they are there (except to party).

If you are not working a career, make her education a "Home School" starting now with reading, math, and later History and keyboarding for sure. Not "thumb-boarding" as in text but real typewriting. This will lift a burden of $7200 dollars a year and you would enjoy this. Hit the Internet for home school syllabus. There are many out there. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          A very good thread though.

Alorth, for $600 a month, you mean you could not teach her the alphabet, what numbers mean, and get her onto the road to reading before kindergarten? If you put that child into "Public (government) Schools" she will not get what you can give her. Check out the idiots attempting riots that they don't even know why they are there (except to party).

If you are not working a career, make her education a "Home School" starting now with reading, math, and later History and keyboarding for sure. Not "thumb-boarding" as in text but real typewriting. This will lift a burden of $7200 dollars a year and you would enjoy this. Hit the Internet for home school syllabus. There are many out there. 'Hub
          We are in a 13 and we have been able to save more money since entering it than ever before. We did not use credit for over a year before finally deciding to file. The 13 is NOT a prison sentence. We have 8 kids and they don't want for anything.

As for the school, we homeschool our kids and it is THE best thing for my kids, IMO. We did Montessori for our oldest 2 and they still didn't learn what they do with us. I would seriously consider it if you can. You can be in charge of her education and you can be there for her every step of the way. It is actually quite frightening what goes on in public and even private schools nowadays, there is no way I want my kids exposed to that.

Comment

Get rid of the Chrysler and buy a new car with a higher monthly payment if you haven't filed yet.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I'm not either. It could be a point of contention. She only spends 3 hours/day 5 days/wk there, but I feel she is learning so much more than I could give to her on my own. I do take care of her myself the rest of the time. Montessori schools are known to be high cost...and I can hear the UST or Judge saying we 'just can't afford it' now that we're in BK. maybe they're right, but I do feel its in the best interest of my daughter, and intend to fight for it.
              Alorth I am sorry for what you are going through.

Montessori schools can be great, but often the children do not learn any more in that type of school. I am a preschool teacher. I create lesson plans and do all the same thing that a Montessori school does. The only difference in my school and a Montessori school is that a child is not made to complete worksheets. What I mean by this is my students learn from creative activities. You really should visit a lot of different school out there. You may find a school that actually is better for less money. The cost for a student to attend the preschool program at my school is 400 dollars per month. The last preschool I worked at charged 440 and that was for an all day program. Look around you may be shocked that there is more to many schools.

You want to look at the qualifications of the staff. Make sure the program is a 3-star program. This means that one or more teachers have a BA or a BS degree, over 75% of the other staff have to have an associate degree, and all teachers need to have additional certifications to actually teach. Early childhood education does not pay well, but finding a school that has caring teachers is better then paying about 600 dollars a month for a school that really is just taking your money.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

All I can say is that after a year and a half of my daughter in Montessori, I will defend it and the type of all-around education she is receiving to the end. I am a witness to the difference, and not just in the 'nuts and bolts' ABC's and stuff, but in attitude, and listening, and respect for others, and so much more. You may say its 'not worth it', or that its 'just taking your money', but not in my experience. And breaking it down hourly, she is spending 60 hours/month in preschool, so at $600/month (actually a little less), I'd say that $10/hr. for what she is getting out of it is a bargain. I could not provide the social development in and of itself even if I took her to the park every single day....which I pretty much do when the weather is decent.

People are entitled to their own opinions in this country, and I respect that. But you will never get me to change my opinion on Montessori after my year and a half (so far) of being involved with it. And I wasn't even the one who pushed it initially....it was my wife as she had spent many of her pre-school through elementary years in Montessori. When my daughter started, I didn't know Montessori from anything else, but now that I do, I would fight for it harder than just about anything.
                Filed CH 7 Sept. 2011 - UST Motion to Dismiss (presumption of abuse) Dec. 2011 - Converted to CH 13 Feb. 2012 - Plan Confirmation May 2012 - Expected Discharge June 2017

Comment

Oh...and in regards to what some are saying about public schools....I agree whole-heartedly. I do not wish to have my girl in public schools....I think that's sad to say, but in this day and age, I can't help but think that way. Its part of the reason I find private schooling (aka Montessori, or other types) so important. But I do not trust myself to give my child ALL she needs as a home-schooler. Yes, I can help her with counting, and yes, we read, and practice spelling, and so forth, but there is soooo much more than that to a well-rounded education. A professional, and caring, educator in a learning-centric environment can do so much more than I can by myself. And besides, I do hope to get back into the work force eventually. I am hoping.

Comment

post in error
                    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

All I can say is that after a year and a half of my daughter in Montessori, I will defend it and the type of all-around education she is receiving to the end. I am a witness to the difference, and not just in the 'nuts and bolts' ABC's and stuff, but in attitude, and listening, and respect for others, and so much more. You may say its 'not worth it', or that its 'just taking your money', but not in my experience. And breaking it down hourly, she is spending 60 hours/month in preschool, so at $600/month (actually a little less), I'd say that $10/hr. for what she is getting out of it is a bargain. I could not provide the social development in and of itself even if I took her to the park every single day....which I pretty much do when the weather is decent.

People are entitled to their own opinions in this country, and I respect that. But you will never get me to change my opinion on Montessori after my year and a half (so far) of being involved with it. And I wasn't even the one who pushed it initially....it was my wife as she had spent many of her pre-school through elementary years in Montessori. When my daughter started, I didn't know Montessori from anything else, but now that I do, I would fight for it harder than just about anything.
                      You are correct about your and our opinions. That being said, it is only yours that does count. You are closer to the situation and we are only going by what you have told us. I see that this school in that it is also giving her the old fashion culture of courtesy and respect, as well as all the other stuff is worth it all. Look at the dregs we are raising now. I went to a Public School and when I did wrong, the Principles paddle was for my behind and if a note went home, my dads back of hand was next.

I recall one teacher who, when I said, can go to the bathroom, she would say "you can, but you may not". Until I figured out that little (proper) use of the English language, I held it till recces (another gone thing as someone "could" get hurt). The teaching of culture is probably worth more than the three R's put together. For me, you have my blessing on your decision. 'Hub

EDIT: Sorry I posted on the wrong machine so it went to Mrs. profile. 'Hub
                      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I don't question you making it a priority to send your child to a Montessori school. Kudos to you for caring so much about her education. That said, a judge will probably see it differently. Bare minimum, you will probably be expected to drop her down to a couple days per week rather than the full 5 days. Just be prepared. And, if she has any special needs that might require this particular education (hint, hint), that would give you a better leg to stand on when you come to the table.
                        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I was just coming here to post the same thing, as to how a judge might view your choices.
                          I will agree to disagree with some posters here--- I think that "dregs" come more from the home environment than the school environment. I doubt very much that you are living in a crummy school district.

I had my son in a weekly play group. It was an amazing learning and growing experience for the kiddos and parents alike, not to mention saving my sanity.

Also-- and I mean this in the nicest way, alorth... you do not seem willing to make any changes in your lifestyle. That may come back to bite you somewhere along the line. My dh insisted on some similar kinds of things- especially a private school we could not afford, and expensive health insurance we could not afford. Hence our current maxed out, wiped out, broke situation.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I worked for a private preschool for over 3 years, and ran the same type program that the Montessori schools ran. The only difference is the price tag. There are plenty of structure programs out there that do not cost 7,200 per year. Also I can play the devil's advocate here and ask what your plans are for elementary education. If you think 600 dollars is expensive wait until you see the private school cost for elementary education. If you are going into a Chapter 13 then the judge may not allow for you to pay for a private education while you are going through BK.

Just be prepared for the judge to object.
                            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Although exployer, it also depends on where in the country you live - where I live AFTER school care provided by the school system - that is AFTER school runs almost $100/week.

Day care can be as much as $700-$1,000 mo - in REGULAR daycare.

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
                              Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I worked for a private preschool for over 3 years, and ran the same type program that the Montessori schools ran. The only difference is the price tag. There are plenty of structure programs out there that do not cost 7,200 per year. Also I can play the devil's advocate here and ask what your plans are for elementary education. If you think 600 dollars is expensive wait until you see the private school cost for elementary education. If you are going into a Chapter 13 then the judge may not allow for you to pay for a private education while you are going through BK.

Just be prepared for the judge to object.

Comment

That is crazy! I guess I am not in a giant city and it makes a difference. Average childcare for an after school program cost about 60 per week. Normal pre-k programs range anywhere from 100-200 per week for full day care, plus the pre-K program.

I will say this I will be graduating this next year with my BS degree in Secondary Education. My plan is to teach in a Title 1 ( low poverty school). I do see the biggest need for teachers in these schools. I have spent a lot of time observing and helping in these classes in the lower income schools for my education classes. Yes the students can be disrespectful, but they deserve to have a teacher who is willing to teach them. If I can change one students life then I have done my job.
                                341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                                Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X