No announcement yet.

"Debtor could reasonably be expected to reduce living expenses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes...but alas that's where the jobs seem to be...in the "Giant" cities :-)

Sounds like you have a WONDERFUL plan - my best wishes to you!!!!!!!!!! (I know around here there are ALWAYS recruiting for licensed teachers for Title 1's...)

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
      Yes...but alas that's where the jobs seem to be...in the "Giant" cities :-)

Sounds like you have a WONDERFUL plan - my best wishes to you!!!!!!!!!! (I know around here there are ALWAYS recruiting for licensed teachers for Title 1's...)
      I better have a plan, because the cost of 4 years of college have added up. By the time I am out of school I will have 60K worth of SL debts. The only good thing is there are teacher forgiveness on SL after 10 years in my state.
      Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Right - especially in Title 1 schools!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post

Also-- and I mean this in the nicest way, alorth... you do not seem willing to make any changes in your lifestyle. That may come back to bite you somewhere along the line. My dh insisted on some similar kinds of things- especially a private school we could not afford, and expensive health insurance we could not afford. Hence our current maxed out, wiped out, broke situation.
          I do not take offense, smiling, but if you only knew the changes we have already made! We went from driving 2 new, high end cars (Infiniti and Suburban) to 2 used cars each with over 50,000 miles ('09 Hyundai and '05 Chrysler). In fact, the Chysler is at 80,000 and needs tires. We sold our boat 3 years ago, seeing the storm coming. We used to pay for lawn maintenance, but I bartered a used riding mower a few years ago to take care of my acre yard myself as much as I can in my health situation.

We used to eat out so much more, go out to the movies, and I used to go out west every single year to see my family. I haven't done that in 5 years.

There is so much more.

One area I'm limiting my 'lifestyle' changes where I can, is in the care of my daughter. I grew up poor myself, and maybe that led to some of my earlier 'spendy' behaviors, but in the case of my daughter, I want her to grow up in want for nothing, but with a respect for what she has.
          Filed CH 7 Sept. 2011 - UST Motion to Dismiss (presumption of abuse) Dec. 2011 - Converted to CH 13 Feb. 2012 - Plan Confirmation May 2012 - Expected Discharge June 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
            That is crazy! I guess I am not in a giant city and it makes a difference. Average childcare for an after school program cost about 60 per week. Normal pre-k programs range anywhere from 100-200 per week for full day care, plus the pre-K program.

I will say this I will be graduating this next year with my BS degree in Secondary Education. My plan is to teach in a Title 1 ( low poverty school). I do see the biggest need for teachers in these schools. I have spent a lot of time observing and helping in these classes in the lower income schools for my education classes. Yes the students can be disrespectful, but they deserve to have a teacher who is willing to teach them. If I can change one students life then I have done my job.
            Exployer, it is extremely admirable what you plan to do.

I have an Aunt who has taught in a very poverty-stricken district in special education (in a High School) for nearly her whole career, and she is one year from retirement. Just a couple of weeks ago, there was a near-riot in her school that literally made regional news broadcasts.

She is counting the days until she gets out.

It can be a hard life, and disrespect from the students may be an understatement, so hopefully you are prepared for what may come.

Those kids do deserve someone who cares, as their home lives may be broken, or full of people who just don't care about them, but it leads to such a literally dangerous environment in the schools for the Teachers, and even for the students who DO want to work hard and escape.

Its a darn shame, for sure....hard telling - not if it WILL change - BUT if it CAN change!

Good luck!

(edit to say: Not to mention, its near impossible for teachers to get jobs fresh out of school in decent school districts anymore, especially with all of the budget cuts and staff downsizing)
            Filed CH 7 Sept. 2011 - UST Motion to Dismiss (presumption of abuse) Dec. 2011 - Converted to CH 13 Feb. 2012 - Plan Confirmation May 2012 - Expected Discharge June 2017

Comment

Oh I agree it is hard to find jobs straight out of school. The only difference is I waited later in life to go back to school. After close to 20 years in the business world the company I worked for closed in 2008 due to the economy. I was already back in school, but could not find a job. That is what led me to the Pre-K job. I have already been told by many principles that when I graduate call them. They want me to come work for them, and continue after I graduate and start my masters program so they can (groom) me for the principle program. Not sure if I really want to go that route, but I have been told since I have so much upper management work that I will not have a choice when the school board gets ahold of my work experience.

Please let us know what happens with your BK. I wish you the best of luck and I hope the judge understands that you are willing to do without to provide for her.
              Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
              341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Aside from the before and after school day care for my kids, I pay 175/month to send my son to full-day kindergarden (half-day is free, full day is not). My son is on the young end of a kindergardnen and I felt that he needed full-day attention. I hear that the trustee may have issues with this. Even so, I will continue to pay the tuition, but I know that I will need to compromise or otherwise cut back in the other areas of my budget to accommodate for it.
                10/27/11 - Filed Ch13 ------ 2/27/12 - Conversion to Non-Consumer Ch7 ----6/11/12 - Discharged!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X