paying tax with credit card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paying tax with credit card

In Jan 2009 I paid my then husbands IRS tax bill of $329.00 with a Chase card. I have paid that credit card ever since. Just stopped paying this month.

Forgot to tell attorney this one minute detail. Should I mention it? Does it matter?

Filed Chapter 7 - December 21, 2011

Hi - I don't think it matters - does atty know about the Chase acct itself?

Comment

Yes. I disclosed everything. I just forgot about this....trying to forget I even had a husband.

Now I'm just nitpicking trying to worry ahead.

Comment

Understood - well, I take it you're filing by yourself? If it isn't YOUR account you don't need to worry about it. If it is an account in your name of joint, just call back the atty and tell them to add one more creditor.

Comment

Debts that are incurred to pay other non-dischargeable debts are themselves non-dischargeable. (I'm assuming here that the tax debts would be non-dischargeable.) I would tell the attorney about it just in the interest of full disclosure. But I'd think the attorney would leave it up to Chase to recognize the non-dischargeability issue. And I doubt Chase would even bother with it considering the amount. In case you are losing sleep over it, Chase has been deemed to be "too big to fail", and just in case your little $329 is the straw that breaks that camel's back, Uncle Ben has got 'em covered.

Yes, tell your attorney, but don't drive over to his house and wake him up in the middle of the night or anything to do it. Just next time you talk to him.
          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

I don't have to add the creditor. I already gave him that information. My ex was never on any of my credit cards. I paid his IRS tax because....well we were married, then. Divorced since March 2010.

What I forgot to tell the attorney was that I used the credit card to pay my then husbands IRS tax. I didn't forget to tell him about the actual credit card.

I continued making payments....never missed. I paid about $75 monthly. Never missed. Had the card for years.

Would they pull this one charge out and say its not dischargable?
            I think I'm in overdrive worry mode.

Comment

Okay. I will do that.

Now I recall paying my own city taxes a couple times too. No more than $200 total. And it would have been on the same cc.

Man, this stuff will keep you up at night racking your brain!

If I had known, I would never have done it.

Comment

You hired an attorney for the brain racking. Take advantage of that decision and let him deal with these issues, which I see as nothing to worry about at all.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Its somebody else's job to rack their brain???? Great.....I'm tired of racking my own. After all of this stress and worry, my brain is about some mush right now.
                  I just remembered those 2 transactions right now. I just thought since it was so long ago, after so many other charges....and payments, that it wouldn't matter. Then I got another case of he "what-if's".....as in......what if something is lurking that could mess up all of this debt relief for me.

Even if those 2 charges are non dischargable, they just make me pay for them, right? It doesn't mess up my whole case??

Comment

Your debt will be discharged. I wouldn't even mention anything to the attorney about it. You're talking about sums of money people spend on a dinner at decent restaurant. It's really no big deal, not to mention you've already paid it off if you were paying $75 each month for nearly 3 years.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by anafan View Post
                      Even if those 2 charges are non dischargable, they just make me pay for them, right? It doesn't mess up my whole case??
                      Right.
                      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                        Your debt will be discharged. I wouldn't even mention anything to the attorney about it. You're talking about sums of money people spend on a dinner at decent restaurant. It's really no big deal, not to mention you've already paid it off if you were paying $75 each month for nearly 3 years.
                        While I agree that the charges are unlikely to be an issue, I disagree that anafan shouldn't mention it to her attorney. No harm will come from telling your attorney something they don't need to know. But, not telling an attorney something they should know can cause harm. Besides, her attorney will probably tell her there is nothing to worry about so she can stop worrying.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                          While I agree that the charges are unlikely to be an issue, I disagree that anafan shouldn't mention it to her attorney. No harm will come from telling your attorney something they don't need to know. But, not telling an attorney something they should know can cause harm. Besides, her attorney will probably tell her there is nothing to worry about so she can stop worrying.
                          I don't disagree but I think anafan is worrying too much and I was hoping my post might relax her a bit and set her racked brain at ease.

Comment

i believe in total disclosure to my attorney. Its a confessional! LOL!

I already emailed him the info. I wanted to tell him when I would be dropping off my first payment anyway.

If its nothing....great. if I gotta pay, I'll pay. I was just looking for a little reassurance.

Thanks everybody!

Comment

Yeah, I worry too much anyway...before filing for BK.

Leftover stress from trying to get a divorce for a year...I guess. I can switch to hyper mode in seconds flat.

But you guys calmed me down. I take my worry hat off....for now. I'm sure, given enough time, I'll find something else to worry about.

Breathe in, breathe out...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X