top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much of my tax refund will I be able to keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to file an amended schedule C to add the tax refund, just in case it wasn't listed already?
    Filed: 12/29/11
    341 Meeting: 1/23/12

Comment

[QUOTE=btbeme;556024]Income tax refunds are really nothing more (in most cases) than deferred income.

Not to split hairs but it really isn't deferred income; it is actually an asset (receivable) that you have because you had too much withheld. It really is no different than equity in your car or house or your antique watch for example. If you can't exempt it, it is fair game for the trustee to take as btbeme explained. Just being a bit anal here today guess it is my accounting education kicking in.

Comment

What about tax credits(such as the earned income tax credit, tuition credit and child tax credit) do those get taken away or do they just calculate what they will take from your anticipated refund based on what has been withheld from your paychecks??

FYI I filed in October

Thanks,
        HP

Comment

Originally posted by hp2002grad View Post
          What about tax credits(such as the earned income tax credit, tuition credit and child tax credit) do those get taken away or do they just calculate what they will take from your anticipated refund based on what has been withheld from your paychecks??

FYI I filed in October

Thanks,
          HP
          In almost every case I have seen, the withholding is the target, followed by certain carryovers and credits (losses, overpayments, etc) that are residue of prior financial transactions or tax situations. I think it would be difficult for a Trustee to argue that a child tax credit could somehow be considered income...but I am not a Trustee. Or a BK judge.

Comment

We filed on 12/13/2011, just had the 341 on 1/17/2012, our entire refund was exempted. Trustee never brought it up and our attorney said we will keep all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
              In almost every case I have seen, the withholding is the target, followed by certain carryovers and credits (losses, overpayments, etc) that are residue of prior financial transactions or tax situations. I think it would be difficult for a Trustee to argue that a child tax credit could somehow be considered income...but I am not a Trustee. Or a BK judge.
              Is there somewhere in a ARS i can look at to see if a tax credit is not considered income and therefore excempt?

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                Look on your Schedule C to see if your anticipated refund is exempted. If it is, you will be able to keep your refund unless the trustee objects to your exemptions for some reason. If it is not exempted and the trustee wants your refund, your case will be declared an asset case and you should get a notice telling you how much of your refund to turn over.
                What would prompt objections from the trustee? Do they just sometimes pick random people to mess with? ("You know what? I know you have more than enough room for exemptions, but I don't care. I want your tax refund.")

I need my refund. My car needs work, and I'm also planning to use it to pay for my attorney. And I have more than enough room to exempt it.

Crap. Now, I'm worried. Again.
                Last edited by lotsahats; 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM.
                Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                Discharged! June 28, 2012
                Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

The roller coaster ride of BK. It will get better...hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by hp2002grad View Post
                    Is there somewhere in a ARS i can look at to see if a tax credit is not considered income and therefore excempt?
                    Unknown...but as my Grandfather once told me, "There isn't anyone in America more powerful than a BK Trustee...except for maybe a BK judge."

The thing is, unless there is clear and convincing local precedence, and your case pretty much exactly matches that precedence (including the Trustee) it is difficult, at best, to argue that you somehow "deserve" something that the Trustee, with lots of federal leverage, can determine as being outside the necessary exemptions. What they say, goes...until such time that someone disagrees and has an attorney ready and willing to run up (and die?) on that hill, and get the UST on their side, and..and...and...

Don't forget - you file the Ch 7, and in doing so you turn over everything that you own to the Trustee, who then releases what he feels is appropriate under the law back to you. That is the very essence of a Ch 7.

But at least we don't have debtor's prisons ("Can't pay? Then maybe your relatives can...") or Sharia Law ("Can't pay? We'll chop parts off of you until you can..."). A tax refund is a small price to pay for a clean, legal, non-lethal do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
                      I'm also planning to use it to pay for my attorney.
                      So you're saying you found an atty willing to do the filing and wait before getting paid? WOW!
                      Don
                      Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
                      Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

My attorney will amended the schedule to exemption my income tax refund and the fee is $100.

Comment

Originally posted by doni49 View Post
                          So you're saying you found an atty willing to do the filing and wait before getting paid? WOW!
                          No, I'm saying that when I find an attorney, I'm going to use money from my tax refund to pay his/her fee.
                          Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
                          Discharged! June 28, 2012
                          Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

What would prompt objections from the trustee? Do they just sometimes pick random people to mess with? ("You know what? I know you have more than enough room for exemptions, but I don't care. I want your tax refund.")

I need my refund. My car needs work, and I'm also planning to use it to pay for my attorney. And I have more than enough room to exempt it.

Crap. Now, I'm worried. Again.
                            Please don't worry. I didn't want to say that prindia's refund is exempt just because it is on Schedule C since I don't know if prindia's refund is actually exempt. If you are entitled to the exemption and it is correctly listed on Schedule C, you'll get the exemption. The trustee will only object if he believes you were in error in listing it as exempt.
                            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

No, I'm saying that when I find an attorney, I'm going to use money from my tax refund to pay his/her fee.
                              Oh sorry. I misread that. I assumed from what you wrote that you had already filed and were concerned that the trustee was going to object toyour exemptions.
                              Don

Comment

Originally posted by chiwawa View Post
                                My attorney will amended the schedule to exemption my income tax refund and the fee is $100.
                                Well isn't that generous of him. IMHO that is something that the attorney should've covered in the planning/paperwork stages. I believe that if I had paid an atty the kind of money they charge for a BK7 and I found out my tax return was at risk because he didn't properly list it in the exemptions, I'd be expecting him to amend it for free and be thankful I wasn't pursuing a malpractice claim against him. Geesh!
                                Don

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X