BK Attorneys...I need some guidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK Attorneys...I need some guidence

I was recommended to talk with an attorney who apparently is highly respected in the field. He doesn't advertise much, no ads all over avvo and other attorney review sites. He also charges $1500, compared to $1000 for most of the others.

When I checked which lawyers were at the 341 meetings, I didn't see his name very much. I saw some BK lawyer at 1/4 of a particular days hearings. Simple google search showed that most of these heavy filers charged less

What's a good way of finding a good attorney?

Have you been to speak to any of them for your 'free consultation'? That nailed my choice for me. He was a little pricier than most but worth it, IMO. Just for comparison sake, our BK 7 was $1500 plus the filing fee here in SW Washington.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Not according to who charges less. A more experienced attorney who is in high demand will charge more money. A new attorney or an attorney who has unsatisfied clients who do not refer others to him/her may charge less in order to get work. An inexpensive attorney may be a good attorney who doesn't feal the need to charge as much as others do.

Keep in mind that if the attorney you are referred to is a senior attorney, he may send associates to attend 341s in his place. Also, if an attorney has lots of 341s, he may have too big a workload. The best way to find out their experience level is to ask how many Chap 7s he's filed, how many have been discharged and how many dismissed or converted? Also ask how many active Chap 7s he's working on personally and how many he is supervising other attorneys on.

The best way to find an attorney is through a referral from a happy client or from another attorney. Sounds like you got one of those. So, go for a consult and see if you like him. But, consult with a couple others too. Search the Washington State Bar Lawyer Directory for bankruptcy attorneys in your area. You can see when they were admited to the Bar, which can give you a clue as to how experieced they are. But, don't rely on only that to determine experience level. They may not have always practiced BK law. Check the disciplinary records and what committees attorneys have served on. Being active in the legal community is a good sign.

Once you have a list of attorneys, check their websites. Hopefully, the websites will give you some background on the attorneys and give you a feel for the firm. Use the information provided on the websites to narrow down your choices. If the firm focuses on commercial bankruptcy and you need to file a consumer bankruptcy, scratch them of your list. If you still have a long list of names after eliminating attorneys based on the facts you find, you may need to use some intuition. Do you get a warm feeling from the firm's website or is more cold and business like? Which of those approaches would you prefer in an attorney? When I saw websites that provided a lot of helpful information regarding the BK process, I saw that as a good sign. Other may see that as a marketing ploy. You could try calling firms and asking for some basic information about the attorney and their practice. How was your call handled? Were you treated as if you and your problems matter or were you brushed off as quickly as possible? Use whatever criteria are important to narrow down your list. Then go for consultations with at least 3 attorneys. During those consultations the attorneys will interview you about your situation, but you should also interview the attorney.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Checking the 341 meeting can help you determine the volume of a particular attorney's office, so long as you look at about a month's worth of filings. Attorneys generally get their filings grouped together in a particular day or two so as to make it easier on them to attend the 341.

It is hard to say more, other than you will know the right attorney when you meet him/her. That might take a handful of visits to various attorneys. I do, however, think that a high-volume turn-n-burn office can sometimes allow details to slip through the cracks. Just an opinion.

I do like peer rating and customer rating systems such as AVVO and FindLaw. And the old adage of "you get what you pay for" can be a guideline as well. Great attorneys can charge more because they are great. FYI - a great attorney in AZ is around $3000 for a Ch 7.

Comment

This brings up an interesting ploy. I presume that anyone can attend a 341 meeting (or would that person need to have a compelling interest?) If so, then a potential filer could go to a 341 meeting an then see which attorneys seem to be doing a good job of representing their client. Make note of the attorneys' names, and then look up their numbers and give them a call.

Comment

I'd say that information from a friend is good, but if possible try and get a referral from another attorney, who does not do bankruptcy work. Before I found this forum, I was seriously considering bankruptcy, and none of my friends or family (at least the ones I could talk to) had any answers.

So I called the person I had used to get my Homestead Act, and his office recommended somebody too far away. I thought of my divorce lawyer, but he moved out of my state 5 years ago. Then I remembered somebody who had done work for my father, and asked him for a referral.

Well, this last attorney, couldn't say enough good things about the bankruptcy lawyer, I ended up choosing, and he was right. I am now 13/48 months into my ch 13, and so far, very satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBondLove View Post
              This brings up an interesting ploy. I presume that anyone can attend a 341 meeting (or would that person need to have a compelling interest?) If so, then a potential filer could go to a 341 meeting an then see which attorneys seem to be doing a good job of representing their client. Make note of the attorneys' names, and then look up their numbers and give them a call.
              Add to this - if you want to really see what happens at a 341, including a dizzying display of how NOT to file BK, attend a few 341 hearings. About every two months, my wife has a medical treatment that prohibits her from driving for the day. The doctor's office is three blocks from the courthouse, so I generally spend my time attending 341 meetings as a fly on the wall for the three hours she is being treated. Kinda fun in a perverse way.

Comment

Working for a law firm, I can tell you there is a big difference from a seasoned BK attorney and a new attorney, or one that works for a "mill" firm. A seasoned attorney not only supports you through this time in your life, but also helps make sure your reaffirmation agreements are handled properly, and advises you regarding repairing your credit and moving your life forward. A seasoned attorney also knows how to fill out the petition, so that the TT is able to go through the documents and not have a million questions to ask you when you are at your 341(a) hearing. It's worth the extra money.
                Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
                341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
                Discharged: 11/30/2009
                Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more - plus I'd add the good reputation someone like that should/does have with the Trustees!

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                  Working for a law firm, I can tell you there is a big difference from a seasoned BK attorney and a new attorney, or one that works for a "mill" firm. A seasoned attorney not only supports you through this time in your life, but also helps make sure your reaffirmation agreements are handled properly, and advises you regarding repairing your credit and moving your life forward. A seasoned attorney also knows how to fill out the petition, so that the TT is able to go through the documents and not have a million questions to ask you when you are at your 341(a) hearing. It's worth the extra money.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X