No announcement yet.

Loan Mod (BoA) after Ch7 Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so here’s the deal. All of the following is based on my experience, but my experience seems to be fortified with the similar experiences of many others. There are always exceptions to the norm (remember that plane that landed in the Hudson River?). I’ll tell you that you really have to want to do the legwork, as we did, to get a modification done. I feel like we were a success story, but it was also a long march to get there.

I can tell you that post-Ch 7 discharge modifications exist, and they are a worthwhile goal in the right circumstances. Before we start, I’ll tell you that loan modifications are hard to predict and difficult to “tough out.” There are no hard and fast rules – only “guidelines,” and different banks, divisions, and underwriters have different viewpoints of those guidelines.

Let’s break it down into two different types – federal and “in-house.” I’ll tell you my viewpoints of both, for what they are worth. Your mileage may vary.

First, federal modifications. These are generally underwritten following a set of guidelines known as HAMP, or the “Home Affordable Program.” The very basic principles of a HAMP modification are to get people out from under “risky” loans such as variable interest rate loans and underwater loans and move them into what they call an affordable permanent loan. The HAMP program is federally underwritten, which essentially means that the bank’s own policies, personnel, etc are a secondary consideration. This can be enormously frustrating, as you will get bounced from person to person, paperwork will “expire” or go missing, and generally the process will move slowly with a few restarts just for good measure.

In short, the loan structure that is offered via a HAMP modification looks like this: If you qualify, you will (well, maybe – see details later) end up with a mortgage payment at 31% of your adjusted gross monthly income. That payment will be based on one thing and one thing only – your income. It does not consider how far upside down you are, how much you have outstanding on your loan, or anything else from what I can tell. Yes, they will tell you otherwise, but believe me they are withholding the details. Trust me on this.

I won’t go into detail on what the qualifications are because they are readily available on the Internet. In short, you must have a steady income and a real reason that a modification will be necessary to keep you in the home.

As I said, what the bank will do under HAMP is aim for a specific payment of 31% of adjusted gross monthly income. The bank will ask you to fill out the same stack of paperwork you have filled out twenty times already. After a couple of weeks of farting around, they will congratulate you on being accepted into the HAMP process and offer you a three month trial period of payments. You must make those three months of payments to continue in the program. After that – yes, AFTER that - they will try to tweak the loan terms any way they can to make that target payment happen as part of a permanent loan.

How they tweak the loan will make your head spin. First, they will extend the term to 40 years. Second, they will establish an interest rate around the 2.5% range – not a permanent rate, but enough to get you started. Third, if they can’t get you to the target payment with those tweaks, they will do an evil thing – they will back-load the loan with a balloon payment and base the monthly payment on a partial principle amount.

Here is how that evil part works. Let’s say you have a loan for $300,000 and a gross income of $44,500 a year. They will temporarily drop the interest rate to about 2.5% and raise the term to 40 years, for a payment of $989/mo plus taxes and insurance. Lets say your property taxes, HOA dues, and homeowner’s insurance add $300/mo to the payment for a total of $1289/mo. If the target payment based on your income is $1150 (that is about 31% of your adjusted gross monthly income) they will then create a balloon payment at the back of the loan. In this case, what they would do is create a balloon payment of about $42,000 due on the last day of the loan, then base your payment on a principle amount of $258,000. Using $258k as the loan amount, 40 years as the term, and a temporary 2.5% interest rate, your payment would be $1150 a month including taxes, HOA, and insurance. Bingo!

The fine details are the killer. First, you start over on the loan term – and that will likely be 40 years on the term, starting the day you accept. Second, the interest rate they base it on is temporary – 5 years at best. The rate will increase up to a capped rate of about 4.5% or so after the fifth year. Last, they don’t care how much you owe or what the house is worth – the balloon payment guarantees that you are tied to the house and cannot get out from under it unless you can satisfy the entire loan, balloon and all.

Oh, and the REALLY good part… your offer is predicated on your making three months of trial payments. They will not tell you the loan terms until AFTER you have paid. Kinda like going to a car dealership and being offered a payment that you can afford, but not being able to take the car – or even know what car you bought – until you have made three payments. What a deal.

If you are late or miss a payment, Game Over. At the end of three months, they MAY OR MAY NOT be able to tweak the loan enough to get to that payment target. If not – Game Over (and thanks for the three payments!)! AND…they might extend the “trial period” out as long as 12 months – and THEN tell you Game Over because they cannot make the numbers work! (insert evil laughter here)

Funny – they don’t tell you the details until you have made your trial payments. Also funny – about 80% of the HAMP loans offered have “failed” according to the feds. These two items may be related…

Now, in your Ch 7, you were discharged from any personal liability from the mortgage (assuming you did not reaffirm). In a HAMP loan, you get that responsibility back…that is, unless YOU insert the proper notification into the HAMP agreement and ensure that the final agreement – if or when it ever arrives – include the release of personal liability. You must must must initiate that part yourself, and the responsibility for ensuring your final offer is structured properly is yours as well.

The good news about HAMP is that if you qualify, you qualify – all you have to do is apply and then put up with the six months of mind-numbing BS and lost/expired paperwork until they actually get around to doing the loan.

Frankly, I see the HAMP loan mods as a last-ditch effort to save your house. While they do exist, and while they can buy you time to decide what to do after your Ch 7 discharge, there are a few tripwires to watch out for, and it is an exercise in frustration to deal with the process. You do have alternatives, though.

Now, lets look at the other type of modification – an in-house (bank) modification. These mods are offered by the original lending bank, are owned by the bank, on the bank’s terms. Sometimes, they are more lenient than a HAMP loan, but usually they follow a similar set of guidelines. You will get a lot better and more personal attention this way, since the bank has a vested interest in keeping you as a client.

The BIG difference, however, is that you can generally negotiate the terms. You don’t have to get stuck with onerous terms that you can’t live with. You can easily get the personal liability issue resolved – most banks state in their modifications that they will abide by the BK discharge, so you wont have to babysit the issue. This is where we finally landed, after 5 months of frustrating HAMP paperwork.

If you contact the bank, you will need to be specific about the type of mod that you want to attempt. You will get pressed into the HAMP line almost for sure, unless you insist on an in-house mod. Don’t get discouraged – keep trying. And, remember that (especially if you are underwater on your loan) the banks often have more incentive to make a HAMP loan then an in-house mod.

Summary - If you discharged (did not reaffirm) your mortgage under Ch 7, I believe that you have three avenues to pursue. First, and honestly, if you are underwater (you owe more than the house is worth) very far, I suggest that you live for free as long as you can and surrender the house via foreclosure or short sale. Second, I suggest that you apply for a HAMP modification during that process, because it will generally give you more time to do the first thing.

Third, if you want to stay in the house, and are not too far underwater (or have equity), I suggest that you attempt an in-house modification with the bank. This is not a pleasant or fast process, but it did work for us. As I said, the home we modified was a second home, but we made it our primary residence to make the loan modification happen. It also had equity.

If you try an in-house refi, you must be paid in full and up to date. If you try a HAMP loan, it seems to help you if you are actually behind on your payments. This is why I suggest that a HAMP loan mod can be used as a strategy for delaying the inevitable if you plan to leave your house – it gives you, in most cases, an additional couple-three months of rent-free living while everything processes.

Afterthought… after Ch 7 discharge, if you stop paying your mortgage, then try a HAMP, then refuse the HAMP by not paying the three month trial payments, then apply for a short sale, you stand the likelihood of extending your rent-free lifestyle for quite some time. Also, a short sale, if successful, can qualify you for $3000 of federal funds for relocation under the HAFA program. You might also be able to work some other rent-back or pay-me-to-leave cash for keys deal by trying a short sale. Short sales are no fun at all, but it is an option.

Additional info – you can forget about getting the bank to modify your mortgage by reducing the principle. Principle reduction is a myth. It does not happen…not now, anyway. It is like seeing Bigfoot – everyone knows someone who knows someone who heard of someone who can prove that it happened to them…but I have never seen proof that it has happened. I could be wrong, and I sincerely hope you are the first people to have their loan amount slashed in half by the bank, but I would not bet the house on it (no pun intended).

Comment

BT,

As one who DID get a modification AFTER CH7 discharge, I appreciate your explanation. I ended up with a very reasonable "in house" modification....basiscally they took the 10 month interest for the payments I had not made (prior to and during BK proceedings), added it to the loan balance, and readjusted back out to 30 years from the 27 I originally had left (but remember I hadnt made payments for almost a year). They waived all other late fees, and allowed me to catch up all the back esrows over a 5 year period. Overall pretty fair I thought...I wanted to stay in my house as it is also my workplace so I needed the room, and I wasnt THAT upside down (140K balance vs 125K value). I actually do think the fact that I was discharged without reaffirmation did help my cause, although I live in non-recourse state anyway.

I do disagree with one thing you said though....I do NOT believe that a modification puts you back on the hook for a non-reaffirmed loan as you said. Since it is MODIFYING an existing loan that has already been discharged, rather than a truly "new" loan, I do not believe they can come after you for any deficiency if you have trouble again in the future. In essence a modified loan after BK is just like a "stay and pay" situation. Nowhere in any of my paperwork does it say they have the right to any additional remedies other than foreclosure like they always had and they never asked anything of me in that regard. I even have the same loan number etc...

Also, one DISADVANTAGE of my situation is that my credit report does NOT report my payments I am now making on my modified loan. It just shows as discharged in BK. For me that is no biggie....but its kind of a bummer vs my auto payments (which I DID reaffirm) which show up as positive reporting on my report.

But, again, I do not think that you in essence can "reaffirm" an already discharged loan...

Otherwise - AWESOME post - it will help many. Thanks for taking the time to write all that up!

Comment

Originally posted by sh9730 View Post
        BT,

I do NOT believe that a modification puts you back on the hook for a non-reaffirmed loan as you said. Since it is MODIFYING an existing loan that has already been discharged, rather than a truly "new" loan, I do not believe they can come after you for any deficiency if you have trouble again in the future.
        Glad someone else out there had the patience to git 'er done, too! As above in my diatribe, one nice aspect to an in-home modification - the banks usually see it as exactly that - a continuation of your original loan, discharge included. Being in a non-recourse state may also be helpful, if it is a purchase-money loan.

However, HAMP loans and many credit union loans force the issue and require the borrower to "enlighten" them, which is unfortunate. In fact, I have the actual required HAMP wording and instructions buried somewhere...I'll see if I can find it again and post it here for anyone diving into the Post-Ch 7 HAMP waters. It took forever to get an answer to that HAMP rule - only after digging in to about 4000 postings on LoanSafe did I find any reference to it. Then again, it is a federal program, so having hidden hidden "treasures" like that are pretty much standard operating procedure. The drones on the other end of the telephone act like you grew a third head when you ask them about it.

Comment

Found it!

From the official hmpadmin.com website, buried deep in the FAQ download in the resources section (and absolutely nowhere else that I could find):

Q - Am I eligible for HAMP if I have received a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge?

A - Yes, even if you have received a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge, you are eligible for HAMP. If you did not reaffirm your mortgage debt, the following language must be inserted in the Home Affordable Modification Agreement:
          “I was discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding subsequent to the execution of the Loan Documents. Based on this representation, Lender agrees that I will not have personal liability on the debt pursuant to this Agreement.”

Anyway, I do hope that people get a loan modification that actually works for their situation. For us, it meant a $890/mo difference in our payment.

Comment

BT

I ve seen that language while I was going through my process (before I knew whether I would be HAMP or in house). I think what the feds were saying there is that if the lenders or servicers DO offer a mod on a discharged loan, they MUST insert that language so that they are not in violation of the BK discharge (i.e. collection efforts) - not that if a borrower rec'd a modification without this language (and signed it) they would be liable for the debt again. They were just reminding the servicers that the loan IS discharged.....

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
              Found it!

From the official hmpadmin.com website, buried deep in the FAQ download in the resources section (and absolutely nowhere else that I could find):

A - Yes, even if you have received a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge, you are eligible for HAMP. If you did not reaffirm your mortgage debt, the following language must be inserted in the Home Affordable Modification Agreement:
              “I was discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding subsequent to the execution of the Loan Documents. Based on this representation, Lender agrees that I will not have personal liability on the debt pursuant to this Agreement.”

Anyway, I do hope that people get a loan modification that actually works for their situation. For us, it meant a $890/mo difference in our payment.
              Great information BT. I agree with you also that I have not seen any bank lower the principal amount of the first mortgage. I'm getting ready to go for an in-house loan mod with GMAC. First things first for us, and that was to settle our equity line. (10 cents on the dollar) That put us back into a positive on our house. I tried the HAMP loan, and they denied it right out of the gate, which was back in October. We are now 2 years post discharge and I'm ready to go back at them again. (My mother-in-law passed in November, so I didn't have the energy to go back at this again.)

Also, SH, as far as credit reporting after discharge on a reaffirmed debt, that also depends on the lender. Lexus Financial (or Toyota) does not report, still does not send statements or anything.) It doesn't bother me as we've got our credit scores up to about 670 now.
              Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
              341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
              Discharged: 11/30/2009
              Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                Great information BT. I agree with you also that I have not seen any bank lower the principal amount of the first mortgage. I'm getting ready to go for an in-house loan mod with GMAC. First things first for us, and that was to settle our equity line. (10 cents on the dollar) That put us back into a positive on our house. I tried the HAMP loan, and they denied it right out of the gate, which was back in October. We are now 2 years post discharge and I'm ready to go back at them again. (My mother-in-law passed in November, so I didn't have the energy to go back at this again.)

Also, SH, as far as credit reporting after discharge on a reaffirmed debt, that also depends on the lender. Lexus Financial (or Toyota) does not report, still does not send statements or anything.) It doesn't bother me as we've got our credit scores up to about 670 now.
                Will they strip the 2nd (HELOC) though? Like as in, HELOC is pretty much not anything to pay on at all after discharge? If that were possible, that would knock about $300-350/mo off what we had been paying each month before we defaulted last March. And if it was just the 1st loan only that we would pay, that'd be about like renting a house instead which is what we assume we'll be doing however long the foreclosure process might take when they ever initiate that. Ours was Countrywide all the way converted to BofA and probably robosigned which would not surprise me one bit -- personally I think it might be more interesting to see if a local law firm that's already fought BofA on predatory loan stuff might have or know of some sort of class action Countrywide thing we could be part of, but if we had a chance at in-house mod approving us and dropping that HELOC entirely, that'd sure be something to think hard about.

Comment

Although 10 cents on the dollar to settle the HELOC out would be attractive -- but only if we were approved for a non-reaffirmed mod on the 1st mortgage. We might even be able to do that if I can finally get a real job again later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Resigned2BK View Post
                    Will they strip the 2nd (HELOC) though? Like as in, HELOC is pretty much not anything to pay on at all after discharge? If that were possible, that would knock about $300-350/mo off what we had been paying each month before we defaulted last March. And if it was just the 1st loan only that we would pay, that'd be about like renting a house instead which is what we assume we'll be doing however long the foreclosure process might take when they ever initiate that. Ours was Countrywide all the way converted to BofA and probably robosigned which would not surprise me one bit -- personally I think it might be more interesting to see if a local law firm that's already fought BofA on predatory loan stuff might have or know of some sort of class action Countrywide thing we could be part of, but if we had a chance at in-house mod approving us and dropping that HELOC entirely, that'd sure be something to think hard about.
                    We quit paying our HELOC about 3 months after discharge. I wrote a letter after a couple of months, but they wanted more like 20 cents on the dollar, which we didn't have. So, I waited about another year and kept not paying but continued paying my 1st mortgage. My letter to Wells was very simple, explaining hardship and the values of the properties, etc. Within about 2 or 3 weeks they called me and settled.

But Resigned, are you paying your 1st mortgage? I wouldn't settle anything on the 2nd until your 1st was firmed up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2manybills View Post
                      We quit paying our HELOC about 3 months after discharge. I wrote a letter after a couple of months, but they wanted more like 20 cents on the dollar, which we didn't have. So, I waited about another year and kept not paying but continued paying my 1st mortgage. My letter to Wells was very simple, explaining hardship and the values of the properties, etc. Within about 2 or 3 weeks they called me and settled.

But Resigned, are you paying your 1st mortgage? I wouldn't settle anything on the 2nd until your 1st was firmed up.
                      Like I said, we haven't been paying on any mortgage for almost a year now. We just filed Ch7 a few days ago and will probably be case closed around March or April. I'm just thinking ahead. One of our concerns right now is that BofA might just decide since we are in Ch7 to just go ahead and get the foreclosure going for reals. If they want to not do anything at all, that's good because I reckon after the discharge we might be able to get them to stretch things out with more mod applications although the idea of getting a real mod that would work for what we need and can afford is mighty appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Resigned2BK View Post
                        Will they strip the 2nd (HELOC) though? Like as in, HELOC is pretty much not anything to pay on at all after discharge? If that were possible, that would knock about $300-350/mo off what we had been paying each month before we defaulted last March. And if it was just the 1st loan only that we would pay, that'd be about like renting a house instead which is what we assume we'll be doing however long the foreclosure process might take when they ever initiate that.
                        HELOCS and second mortgages are in "second place" behind your first mortgage. If you do not reaffirm either one, your personal responsibility will be discharged. However, the lien on the property still exists.

Strategies on a second vary, depending on the amount owed on the first and second individually and combined, and the home value. Lets take a few scenarios. Lets say your first is $150,000 and your second is $35,000.

If your home is worth less than $150,000 - for sure - then I'd stop paying one or both mortgages immediately after my Notice of No Assets. After the discharge, call the second and offer a $3500 buyout for the release of lien. If they refuse, try again in a few months. And then again, but don't pay them until they agree to your terms. If you absolutely want to stay in the house, consider paying on the first and ask the bank for an in-house modification. If no luck, stop paying for a couple months and apply for a HAMP mod.

If the house is worth less than $150k and you DON'T want to stay, I'd still apply for a HAMP after not paying for a couple-three months. That will buy you more rent-free time. You can always accept the HAMP mod if you change your mind. If not, you can refuse to pay the trial payments and move toward foreclosure. Then, you might try a short sale to buy more time and/or see if you can qualify for some sweet deal to leave quietly (cash for keys, or a HAFA payout, or a rent-back from the new owners).

If the house is worth, say, $175k, this gets tricky, since the second might force a foreclosure if you stop paying them. You can apply for a HAMP mod on the first if you want to stay; you can then try to negotiate the second but don't expect a miracle. If you want to leave, try the short sale route, or just do what you can to stretch the timeline before foreclosure (and stop paying both).

Now...if the same bank owns the first and second, it gets interesting. You can ask for an in-house mod that will combine the two, or a HAMP that would do the same. But, if you stop paying one loan, you might as well stop paying both because the foreclosure train is coming!

Per your question regarding foreclosure...nothing will happen until after your discharge, unless the bank asks for a lift of the automatic stay. They usually only do that if they have already set an auction date, unless they are just plain mean and do it anyway. But after the discharge, they might move very quickly to foreclose.
                        Last edited by btbeme; 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Per your question regarding foreclosure...nothing will happen until after your discharge, unless the bank asks for a lift of the automatic stay. They usually only do that if they have already set an auction date, unless they are just plain mean and do it anyway. But after the discharge, they might move very quickly to foreclose.
                          Actually, on most cases in California, the banks are filing a motion to lift stay, especially when folks are way behind. It just depends on the lender, but it still doesn't mean that they do anything. I know some people that are still in the house a year and a half later, and the bank actually tried to do a mod, and now are paying them to leave the property.

It goes back to depending on which bank, who you are dealing with, etc. There is no basic procedure that's for sure!

Resigned, once you are discharged, I would give a shot at a loan mod on your 1st. It certainly can't hurt. Then if that works out, I would attempt to settle your HELOC.

Comment

then I'd stop paying one or both mortgages immediately after my Notice of No Assets.
                            Just curious about this. I am planning on trying to do a modification on our first mortgage after our Ch 7 is discharged, but was under the impression we would have to keep current until discharge....can we stop paying after the Notice of No Assets? That was just filed today
                            Chapter 7 Filed 12/7/11
                            341 Hearing 1/12/12
                            Discharged 3/23/12!

Comment

Found it!

If that language is required by HAMP, it is to make sure the borrower understands that they still get the benefit of their discharge so that the lender can't later try to convince the borrower otherwise. If it is required by the lender, it is probably to protect the lender from accusations that they are attempting collection in violation of the BK court's permanent injuction.

The language is very helpful for clarity in the future. But, even without it, the modification cannot be a reaffirmation of the discharged debt. You cannot reaffirm any debt after it was discharged in bankruptcy, even if you sign an agreement saying you are reaffirming it. A reaffirmation agreement must be filed with the BK court before discharge. Even if it is filed before discharge, it can be revoked by the debtor after discharge. All of the requirements of reaffirmation are in 11 USC 524(c): http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...4----000-.html

The thing to watch out for is to make sure you are modifying the mortgage and not refinancing it. A refi creates a new debt that isn't subject to the prior discharge.
                              Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 01-13-2012, 09:50 PM.
                              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                                The thing to watch out for is to make sure you are modifying the mortgage and not refinancing it. A refi creates a new debt that isn't subject to the prior discharge.
                                Hmm, good point to remember. I figure I can't do anything for months, I just like to think about what strategies to pursue now that the BK is filed and essentially on autopilot.

So what I'm learning here is don't worry about the HELOC and move to try to modify the 1st after discharge if that's possible. We might be that tricky case mentioned. Our home is potentially worth about $10-20K more than the 1st mortgage, although realistic selling price for the soft market puts a value at more even with the 1st. In that tricky sort of case, if a debt is settled, it's my understanding that it is considered Paid As Agreed, so liens and foreclosures from the settled HELOC shouldn't be legal. I would think....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X