overtime income and Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overtime income and Chapter 7

I just had my 341 on January 13th. So far so good. I expect a discharge on April
    13. Work is giving me an opportunity to make over 20 hrs of overtime a week . Is OT wise for me to work the overtime while not discharged yet or does it not make a difference at this point. Thanks in advance.

Your income at time of filing should be all that counts. OT is not considered during the means test and it is not a raise and is definitely not guaranteed.

Comment

Agreed. Income after your filing isn't considered, unless it comes from certain places such as an inheritance. Work well, earn large, and spend wisely!

Comment

Originally posted by mauleg0615 View Post
        I just had my 341 on January 13th. So far so good. I expect a discharge on April
        13. Work is giving me an opportunity to make over 20 hrs of overtime a week . Is OT wise for me to work the overtime while not discharged yet or does it not make a difference at this point. Thanks in advance.
        The Means Test is everything and those 6 months prior to your filing are what matter. Unless you are in the midst of defending yourself against a presumption of abuse because you failed the means test, I wouldn't worry about a little overtime at all. I was never asked if my income had changed after I filed.
        4/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 no asset case w/car reaffirm
        5/2010 - 341 meeting, no creditors present
        10/2010 - Reaffirm finally approved and case discharged the same day

Comment

Originally posted by Avand18 View Post
          OT is not considered during the means test and it is not a raise and is definitely not guaranteed.
          If a debtor received compensation for overtime during the six months prior to filing BK, that income must be included in the means test. If there is no guaranty of continued overtime and the overtime caused the debtor to fail the means test, that fact can be used in trying to overcome the presumption of abuse. To avoid the hassle, the debtor can delay filing until the overtime falls off the 6-month look back.

I agree that if a debtor works overtime after the filing date and he didn't know on the filing date that overtime would be available, it shouldn't be an issue.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X