1099C and TurboTax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099C and TurboTax

So I'm a bit concerned, my husband and I were doing our taxes with the online version of turbotax. I have one 1099C from citi for a debt discharged in my Ch 7.

You can't do form 982 in the online version, so we live chatted with a cpa through turbotax, and he said it was fine to efile, and then just send in form 982 with a copy of the tax return, so we did finish our taxes and efile, last night.

Now I'm doing form 982 by hand and have 2 q's. I know i check box 1a, but do I also write the amount in box 10a? I searched the forum threads and it seemed unclear whether I check box 10a or leave Part II totally blank, does anyone know?

Also, my husband and I were not married when the bk was discharged, but we're filing joint for 2011, so for name shown on return, do I put both? And for Identifying number, do I put mine or his? (He's first on the tax return but wasn't part of the bk)

The live chat guy on turbo tax made this sound much simpler, lol

I can't offer tax advice. This is precisely the situation and reason why I always suggest that those with 1099-Cs actually go into a tax accountant office and have this done. I really can't tell you what to put on the forms and I hope that your taxes weren't miscalculated by having filed electronically and then trying to follow up a 1099-C with a paper-mailed Form 982.

So, did you enter the 1099-C online? If so, did it affect your taxes?

(Additionally, filing "paper" after filing electronically may be considered a 1040X Amended Return.)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

No, I didn't enter it online, because the CPA via turbo tax said not to, because it was from a bankruptcy. I specifically asked, as well, "so it's ok to go ahead and efile and send in the paper 982 after that" and he said "yes". I didn't just 'guess' at what I should do.

I actually wasn't asking if I should mail the form, I was just asking if anyone knows if the amount goes on line 10a, as well as line 2. There are numerous 'instructional' posts on filling out the 982, so I'm not sure why this question is different.

Comment

I would cautioning that a.) you may need to file an amended 1040X if you did not disclose the 1099-C on what you e-filed, and b.) you should probably refer to a tax expert for how to complete the forms. I apologize if you thought I was assuming that you didn't ask. I was more concerned that you e-filed knowing that you had a 1099-C issue with Form 982.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

You need to amend, so that will require the 1040x + send the 982. There is a comment field on the x form where you can note no changes to the 1040, and that you just needed the x form to send the 982. Sending a hard copy 1040 of what you efiled could make a mess.

I don't know if you enter the amount on 10a.
          ~Staci
          Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

I filed my tax with the CPA and did not e-filed. I mailed all tax forms including 982 along with the copy of the bk discharged.

Comment

You will need to amend your return. You can do it yourself via Staci's advice or go to a competent CPA and have them help you. You cannot just send it in separately and it's too important to mess this up. Getting a return amended shouldn't cost more than $50 and considering your questions on how to fill it out you will be better off getting help. It's not a big deal to amend (you don't get red-flagged or anything) but it is the route you need to go.
              Good luck to you!
              Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
              Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X