Attorney fee question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attorney fee question

Is the average cost for a no asset chapter 7 in 2012, 2k or more for everything? What's the most anyone should spend?

Thanks

Mine was a no asset and it cost me $1606. $1200 for attorney fees, $306 for court filing and $50 each for the Means Test and $50 for the Debtor Education Course.

Comment

Mine said it was $1,275 for everything (but we're not to the finish line). I'd suppose it varies a lot by region and by the complexity of the case.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess it's also determined by region.

Comment

I have legal insurance through work (got it to file bk - this is why you plan!) so I only paid the filing fee, but the amount the lawyer said the insurance paid was $900, which was discounted from their regular price.

(I should mention one lawyer I talked to wanted to charge me $3500 and another was in the $2000 range - this is why I decided to wait until open enrollment for insurance and get legal so i could afford to file!)
          Jessica
          Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
          Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

Attorney fees will vary depending on many factors including the complexity of your case, the experience and caliber of the attorney, what is and isn't included in the fee and the prevaling rates in your area.
            LadyInTheRed is in the black!
            Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
            $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

More than a few folks here who chose discount lawyers received discount service.

Focus more on how the attorney sounds and what their experience is before measuring their fee agains any others. Mine wasn't a simple case, but it went absolutely smoothly because of the efforts of my attorney in prepping us for the filing. He was worth every cent.

Comment

$2K is not unreasonable by any stretch.

You cannot approach hiring an attorney like buying a product at your grocery store. At the grocery store, there really isn't much difference between the store brand milk and the premium milk, so why pay the extra $1 or so per gallon. HOWEVER, there are vast differences between attorneys such that one attorney charging $1,200 and another charging $2,000 are very different.
                Last edited by HHM; 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I also had legal insurance through work and only paid the $499 filing fees. I believe my attorney billed insurance $1200. Not sure if they paid a discounted rate. I was just so happy I wasn't responsible for anything beyond the $499!

Comment

Our no asset BK CH7 was a fairly straight forward and simple and our attorney fees were just under $2500.
                    5/9/11 - Filed CH7 - No Asset
                    7/1/11 - 341 Meeting
                    9/1/11 - Discharged; 9/22/11 Case Closed

Comment

Here in NJ we got quotes from 1800 to 3500 for a no asset 7, NOT including fees, debtor course, etc.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

No legal insurance, all on me. I found a good attorney, guys. I was going pro se, because my case was simple but their was alot of little things that made me feel like bankruptcy filing has some unseen layers to it. So, I retained him. Even after you get discharged, you still may need someone to defend the filing. At least that's what I think.

Comment

1800ish...Fla.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X