Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about moving to Fl

I know I need to wait 6 months to file.

How can I prove I live there or do I just say so on a form.

What are the average legal fees for a relatively straight forward C7 in FL

How long til discharge approximately?

You don't need to wait the entire 6 months (180 days). It's the greater of the time period, so 91 days "domiciled" in Florida would work. To establishing domicile, just rent a property, pay utilities and change your license to Florida. The license would pretty much be evidence that you intend to stay (domicile yourself).

Average legal fees vary but I've seen cases done for as little as $1,500 to $2,500 or more. Even for what is perceived as "straight forward" there could be other facts, like reaffirmations, dealing with motions for relief, and other special areas. This average does not include the filing fee of $299.

The discharges in Florida are usually "automatic" so long as there are no special "flags" on your case. The discharge typically comes on the 61st day after the first scheduled 341 Meeting. Generally, the first scheduled 341 Meeting is 30-45 days after filing, so you're looking at 90-105 days from filing to discharge. Of course, there are factors which could affect this which could include the United States Trustee (UST) becoming interested in your case. That interest could be sparked by your income or other things.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Well I went to lawyer in NY and laid it all out and he agreed it was straight forward no asset case not reaffirming anything.

But here they want $3500 +

He also said it would take longer than that.

So if we started here it could hold us up from moving.

So

Comment

Yes, the average rates can vary by State and maybe even District. I would always consult 3-5 attorneys before establishing the costs and selecting an attorney. In many Districts, there is something known as the "no look" fee which is a preset maximum cost that the Court allows without reason.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X