top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So upset - 13 changed to 7, have to pay $775 more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So upset - 13 changed to 7, have to pay $775 more!

The subject says it all.

It's been *several* months that we've been working towards filing Ch 13. In that time our income (self-employed) has continued to dwindle, to the point where making Ch 13 payments isn't feasible. Fine, we switch to Ch 7. But now we have to pay $775 more -- we've already paid about $1200. I'm borrowing money from my parents to pay utilities, how the heck am I supposed to pay this??

I'm already so depressed about the bk. Now who knows when we will get this thing filed. At first bk seemed like a relief. Now it feels like a weight hanging over me.

Just needed to vent.

Lisa

lisa, can i ask you what was your payments were monthly on your 13? if this is being converted into a no asset 7 in the long run you wouldn't have to pay any of those monthly payments anymore, so wouldn't you be ahead of it all???

i.e. if you were having to pay at 50% and now it's zero, sounds like in the end it's a winning situation for you cash wise?
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
      lisa, can i ask you what was your payments were monthly on your 13? if this is being converted into a no asset 7 in the long run you wouldn't have to pay any of those monthly payments anymore, so wouldn't you be ahead of it all???

i.e. if you were having to pay at 50% and now it's zero, sounds like in the end it's a winning situation for you cash wise?
      You're right, we will come out ahead.

It's a mental thing -- we had the idea all along that we would be paying some of this debt, and now we are way more broke than we were even when we decided we needed to file. And paying this fee just seems impossible right now. We stopped paying ccs long ago, so this feels more like a burden than a relief at this point. Sad but true. It's all thoroughly depressing.

Like, I said, just a vent. We'll get through it eventually. Whinefest over.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa68 View Post
        You're right, we will come out ahead.

It's a mental thing -- we had the idea all along that we would be paying some of this debt, and now we are way more broke than we were even when we decided we needed to file. And paying this fee just seems impossible right now. We stopped paying ccs long ago, so this feels more like a burden than a relief at this point. Sad but true. It's all thoroughly depressing.

Like, I said, just a vent. We'll get through it eventually. Whinefest over.
        i know it's like the neverending story one day you think you got down and then something happens to change the entire thing.

it's always good to vent, we all get through these things, but it doesn't make them any easier! i'm sure things will start looking up.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

How much are your monthly CH13 trustee payments? With our case, we are converting next month, our attorney had us pay the conversion fee ($500 in our case) from what we would have paid the trustee payment. The attorney actually told us to stop paying the trustee payment 2 months before we are to convert because it takes longer than that for the trustee in our area to file a motion to dismiss.

It isn't unusual for an attorney to charge you fees to do extra work. Your original fee was for the filing of a CH13, so yes, another $775 isn't that much in order to convert. Get it converted and start living life again!

Comment

Lisa, when we first started thinking about filing, we were planning toward a Ch13, so that like you, we would pay back at least a little of our debt. That was August 2006. September 2007, I lost my FT job, so a Ch13 was impossible.

About this same time, we had fallen so far behind in paying the electric bill, that the company demanded a $790.00 deposit just to keep the electricity on. That, to us, was a huge penalty, as we could barely scrape anything together. However, we did it. That deposit also became an 'Asset' in our case. Also, August 2007, I fell and broke my right arm and left knee, and 'Hub in Nov. 2007, had an accident with a skil-saw and suffered an abdominal wound. So there were all kinds of medical bills.

We finally filed Dec. 28, 2007, Ch7. We had some problems--mostly brought on by our attorney, who did NOT educate us properly as to what do do or not do. So we made some serious and stupid mistakes along the way. But we made it through, and so will you! {{{HUGGS}}}
            Last edited by AngelinaCat; 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar errors
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Our lawyer said he will accept 2 payments, one when we file, and one when we go to court, so it should be manageable.

We are just in such a bad place financially. We are self employed and business is not good. My husband has been looking for a job for 1.5years. I am back in school, but won't be done for another year. The field I'm studying is in high demand, so I should be able to get a decent paying job. I hope they don't hold bk against me (job doesn't involve handling money)!

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry to hear things are tough for you guys right now but the Chapter 7 will help out. It's good that your attorney will take payments and I'm sure a relief for you and your husband. We are getting ready to file bk this week and I'm in the process of trying to find a job after being unemployed after a year. I am just going to be open and honest about our situation as the economy is not recovering in our area, or most of the country for that matter. It sounds like you will have time to clean up your credit report before you graduate next year and start looking for a job. I hope your husband finds something soon. Good luck to the both of you!!

Comment

Thanks! Good luck to you too.

Comment

To get a chap 7 I would find the money, Bright side it will be over soon not 5 years! Good for you!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X