Can't access student loan account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access student loan account?

I hope this is posted in the right place, since I'm not technically "after the bankruptcy" yet...

Post chapter 7 filing, I tried to access my student loans on Sallie Mae's website and was unable to-it said my request was denied and I needed to call Sallie Mae. I thought it was a glitch, so I just tried it a few minutes ago and again, I get the same "error" message.

Is it possible that the bankruptcy is causing me to not be able to access my loans? I got a letter from Sallie Mae (student loans start to come due in December) regarding something about sending them thousands of dollars before my loans actually come due and I was trying to figure out what the heck they wanted, but I can't even log in to the website.

Anyone??

After we filed BK, all of our online account access was denied by all of our creditors. It has to do with them not violating the stay they are under during BK. It doesn't mean your loan is discharged though. You will have to call them to find out more info about the letter they sent you.
    Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
    Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Does this apply to on line banking also? I pay all my bills though my banks on line bill paying not through the creditors web site> Pam

Comment

Memama, it is totally normal to lose online access. Once you get your discharge it is likely you will get your access back.

Pamkev, it depends on the bank *and* whether you will be bk-ing any debt with your bank. We did not lose access but we had no debt with our bank either.
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
          Memama, it is totally normal to lose online access. Once you get your discharge it is likely you will get your access back.

Pamkev, it depends on the bank *and* whether you will be bk-ing any debt with your bank. We did not lose access but we had no debt with our bank either.

We do have a loan with them which is current and plan on staying that way( its' our mortgage) we also have started another checking account with another bank.We are gonna switch our direct deposit from our employer just in case they freeze the account at our current bank. We have no loans with the new bank.

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
            Does this apply to on line banking also? I pay all my bills though my banks on line bill paying not through the creditors web site> Pam
            No, I don't believe it applies since it's coming from your bank. You don't have any loans with your bank do you? They could freeze your accounts if you do. I guess you could also be prepared that they may not accept an automatic payment through your bank. I've heard of that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
              We do have a loan with them which is current and plan on staying that way( its' our mortgage) we also have started another checking account with another bank.We are gonna switch our direct deposit from our employer just in case they freeze the account at our current bank. We have no loans with the new bank.

Good idea! I've heard it's best to switch to a bank that you don't have any loans with and don't owe money to.

Comment

Originally posted by memama View Post
                I got a letter from Sallie Mae (student loans start to come due in December) regarding something about sending them thousands of dollars before my loans actually come due and I was trying to figure out what the heck they wanted, but I can't even log in to the website.
                Isn't that cool? You get to pretend that you don't have student loans for a while...at least until after discharge when all those numbers will come tumbling back out of the computer screen like drunken friends on graduation night.

You may or may not get access back "automatically" after discharge. You might have to notify SallieMae after discharge and provide them with a copy of the discharge order and fill out their required form(s) that will restore your access. Call then the day after and ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by btbeme View Post
                  Isn't that cool? You get to pretend that you don't have student loans for a while...at least until after discharge when all those numbers will come tumbling back out of the computer screen like drunken friends on graduation night.

You may or may not get access back "automatically" after discharge. You might have to notify SallieMae after discharge and provide them with a copy of the discharge order and fill out their required form(s) that will restore your access. Call then the day after and ask them.
                  Can't she mail them a check in the meantime, or is there some reason why they would refuse it?

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
                    Can't she mail them a check in the meantime, or is there some reason why they would refuse it?
                    I believe federal student loans are automatically placed into forbearance upon filing but I could be wrong.

Comment

btbeme (and everyone else),
                      Thanks so much for the reply!

I figured my access was locked while the bankruptcy is open...

I'm not even finished with school yet, so I wanted to check on the loan balance, change my address, etc. In fact, I just received a student loan disbursement...

Since they sent me a letter with a pay stub thing, I was thinking of just sending them a check. I can't imagine that they would send it back or not apply it, but I don't know! I was just going to take the large disbursement that they just sent me and throw it at the loans...I don't want the stupid disbursement!

Comment

Call Sallie Mae and ask them for the information you need and tell them your new address. Ask if they will accept payment using those coupons during your BK. If you don't need the loan to pay your educational expenses, tell them you don't want the disbursement and ask how you can return the check. There is no point in taking on more non-dischargeable debt that you don't need.
                        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Excellent point LIR. SallieMae needs to be informed of any changes in your contact info. So does your attorney, at least until your BK is closed (which might take some time after discharge).

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X