So...when will my case close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...when will my case close?

I received my discharge on Thursday. I know not every case closes on the day of the discharge, but I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones. Alas, I am not. Five days later, still open.

But it's a no-asset case, so it shouldn't be too much longer, right? Are they just dragging their feet, or there other reasons for keeping a no-asset case open?
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

My no-asset Chapter 7 took 5 months to close. It just depends on what the Trustee is doing and whether they filed their final report. It will come... be patient.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Our Asset case took about 13 months to close...

Your District--(hah, pun intended) may be backlogged....
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Just a curious question until your case closes can the TT take any windfall of money like if you win the Mega Millions (only in my dreams)

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
          Just a curious question until your case closes can the TT take any windfall of money like if you win the Mega Millions (only in my dreams)

Pam
          First of all, the term winfall doesn't appear in the code.
          Here are the 3 instances when, you could lose something if the events occured within 180 days of filing. From 541 of the code:

5) Any interest in property that would have been property of the estate if such interest had been an interest of the debtor on the date of the filing of the petition, and that the debtor acquires or becomes entitled to acquire within 180 days after such date--

(A) by bequest, devise, or inheritance;

(B) as a result of a property settlement agreement with the debtor’s spouse, or of an interlocutory or final divorce decree; or

(C) as a beneficiary of a life insurance policy or of a death benefit plan

Comment

Thanks keepmine. Have a great 4th

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
              Your District--(hah, pun intended) may be backlogged....

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!
              Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
              Discharged! June 28, 2012
              Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X