Taking the plunge-SSI low income, ughh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the plunge-SSI low income, ughh.

I am on SSDI ($800mo) I have 3 CCs and about $20,000 Gs debt, I have not used any of them since November '11,(when SSDI was confirmed) I did use the CC's to pay for medical, then I did get SSDI, and have been paying them back with the refunded medical payments, but that's about out, and I am not pulling in any $$ above to get out of
    ssdi (because I am disabled) I had to get a car, and payed 2500 for the one I have (from SSI back payment). The back payment did not go back far enough to cover the non-medical debt.I am on SSDI, so not sure if they will see this as worth coming after me.

When I stop paying, call them and tell them I'm on SSDI, will they come after me until I file BR/? I have heard of people getting served in Colorado. I have very few assets, (under $2000.00) as I have been selling everything I bought and has value on ebay to pay off the CC's.

Q: Will they want all the ebay/paypal records going back how far?

A little worried, as I have no $$ for a lawyer if they go for fraud or other issues, but on $800.00 SSI, not sure if its worth it for them.

Also, in terms of attending court, if I have medical issues that day or a couple days before, can I cancel that court date? Would I need a doctors note or something? Just getting to the court the few times this will take will be a hump, and I may need some slack here or there if I am too sick to show up.

Had cash advances (to keep the CCS going, under $2500) over a year ago, that stopped when I bumped up the medical,

The 3 Credit cards are all I have for debt.

I did get one more lump sum SSDI payment (4g) but that is it. I may still get some back medical payments in the next few months, and will keep paying off with that.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by JJDog; 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM.

Originally posted by JJDog View Post
    I am on SSDI ($800mo) I have 3 CCs and about $20,000 Gs debt, I have not used any of them since November '11,(when SSDI was confirmed) I did use the CC's to pay for medical, then I did get SSDI, and have been paying them back with the refunded medical payments, but that's about out, and I am not pulling in any $$ above to get out of
    ssdi (because I am disabled) I had to get a car, and payed 2500 for the one I have (from SSI back payment). The back payment did not go back far enough to cover the non-medical debt.I am on SSDI, so not sure if they will see this as worth coming after me.

When I stop paying, call them and tell them I'm on SSDI, will they come after me until I file BR/? I have heard of people getting served in Colorado. I have very few assets, (under $2000.00) as I have been selling everything I bought and has value on ebay to pay off the CC's.

Q: Will they want all the ebay/paypal records going back how far?

no, unless you have them as a source of your income and claimed them on your taxes, OR if are listing them on your petition for any reason. we listed paypal, but not ebay, because do you owe ebay money??? if so, for what? something your purchased and didn't pay for?

A little worried, as I have no $$ for a lawyer if they go for fraud or other issues, but on $800.00 SSI, not sure if its worth it for them.

go to legal aid, you should be able to get an atty pro bono if you meet all the conditions required.

Also, in terms of attending court, if I have medical issues that day or a couple days before, can I cancel that court date? Would I need a doctors note or something? Just getting to the court the few times this will take will be a hump, and I may need some slack here or there if I am too sick to show up.

if that happens one would contact their atty immediately and let them advise you and the/or the court.

Had cash advances (to keep the CCS going, under $2500) over a year ago, that stopped when I bumped up the medical,

as long as it was over a year ago, you'll be fine.
    The 3 Credit cards are all I have for debt.

I did get one more lump sum SSDI payment (4g) but that is it. I may still get some back medical payments in the next few months, and will keep paying off with that.

SSDI is exempt income...not to worry, you should be just fine.

Thanks for your help!
    best of luck!!! and welcome to the forum!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Well...first of all - how you spent your money in the past is of zero concern to trustees and the bankruptcy court, unless you used unsecured credit to pay non-dischargeable debt, such as cash advances for child support or taxes. No one is going to make you account for how you spent your money except for the past 6 months or so. Unless you had a business, eBay and Paypal transactions are basically irrelevant.
      Do not waste your time informing creditors that you will discontinue paying them - they do not care. And for heaven's sake, stop paying them! It will take at least 6 months for any of them to bring a lawsuit against you, and that's if they are aggressive. You are basically judgment-proof anyway, if you are being truthful about your income and asset situation. Save your money for a BK attorney. Make an appointment to talk with one soon.

Comment

Ok, good, Ive been off the credit cards for 6 months, but I did get a $4000.00 SSDI check. I will need that for car expenses and payback to a relative for advance on car.

If they cannot contact me by phone, will they send mail? Do I look for attorney mail if its serious?

Comment

...If they cannot contact me by phone, will they send mail? Do I look for attorney mail if its serious?
          I only quit paying my cards last months, and have yet to talk to a creditor. I send them all to voice mail. A couple of credit card companies have sent letters already, but I haven't read them either. I don't really have anything to say to them, and I am filing next month.

If I got a letter from an attorney, I would probably read it, only as a matter of curiosity, as I am pretty much collection proof.

If you get a letter from an attorney, I would go ahead and read it and try to determine how serious they are getting. Good luck.

Comment

for car expenses and payback to a relative for advance on car.
            talk with an attorney before using your protected SSDI money to repay a relative. It might look preferential, especially if you stop paying your other debts right around the same time. As long as that money is sitting in your account and you can show it is segregated, it is safe. It might be better to repay your relative after the BK, if possible.

Comment

Ok thanks. Are there bankruptcy practice forms for Colorado?

So are we all sure SSDI is protected? I've heard on talk radio that sometimes its not?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X