top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filed Ch7 Wednesday. Only one question I can think of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed Ch7 Wednesday. Only one question I can think of...

Filed ch7 on Wednesday. Today, received an email from my attorney containing a copy of my petition. All of my debtors are listed. So far so good. Only one question. The "Amount of Claim" listed on most of my credit card debts is low because my attorney used my numbers from 3 weeks ago, when I first filled out their forms. Since that time, interest has accrued, balances have changed. On my mortgage which I'm listing, I never did call in for an exact payoff number. So I'm sure the number I provided 3 weeks ago is a little bit low. Do you think this is a big deal? We're only talking a difference of $100 to $300. Do those numbers under "Amount of Claim" have to be exact?

Thanks!
    MikeW
    Filed Ch7 - July 19, 2012
    Discharged and Closed - October 19, 2012

The amounts on the Schedules should be close but are NEVER perfect. The fact that you keep accumulating late fees and penalties up to filing, are all expected. The main reason for the Schedules is to show that you owe some debt to some creditor and that the amount is "approximately" the amount listed. In fact, where a debtor doesn't know the exact amount, attorneys will often put "$1.00" and may even mark it as unliquidated or disputed.

So, as long as you are reasonable and have some basis, it is good. (The amounts could be very important when you are close to the debt limits in a Chapter 13 (11 USC 109(e)), but not in a Chapter 7.)

Don't worry!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks justbroke! The waiting begins then.
      Filed Ch7 - July 19, 2012
      Discharged and Closed - October 19, 2012

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X