how to handle phone calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to handle phone calls

Any advice on what to do when cc companies call after a missed payment. We have not filed yet and plan to do so within the next month or so. That will be after a total of 2 missed cc payments. Do we not answer the phone? Do we refer them to our attorney? Do we tell them we cannot pay this month? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Google voice is your friend check that out if you still have access to your accounts you can change your contact number to that number. Some still called our home phone I just ignored them although they did try to call relatives in SC ,others on here have answered the phone and told them they don't talk about money matters over the phone and hung up. Some have just told them they are having money issues and will contact them when it changes. What ever you fill comfortable with. I will tell you we filed on a Thursday and by Monday all calls stopped. Pam

Comment

When we retained our attorney, she told us to immediately refer phone calls to her office. It would be a little over a year before we actually filed. But that is what we did. Also, we had a phone with caller ID, and if we didn't recognize the number, or there was no number at all, we ignored it and let it roll to voice-mail.

Many members advise getting Google Voice and using that.

Some creditors are more aggressive than others, and will locate and call neighbors, family members, and your workplace. We did not have that problem. But if they call the workplace, tell them you are not allowed to take or make personal calls at work. Tell them that are are allowed to contact you only by way of the US Postal System.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

For almost two years we went the "ignore them" route. I can tell you that method gets pretty stressful, and the freedom to answer strange phone calls was one of the biggest reliefs after our BK.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          When we retained our attorney, she told us to immediately refer phone calls to her office. It would be a little over a year before we actually filed. But that is what we did. Also, we had a phone with caller ID, and if we didn't recognize the number, or there was no number at all, we ignored it and let it roll to voice-mail.

Many members advise getting Google Voice and using that.

Some creditors are more aggressive than others, and will locate and call neighbors, family members, and your workplace. We did not have that problem. But if they call the workplace, tell them you are not allowed to take or make personal calls at work. Tell them that are are allowed to contact you only by way of the US Postal System.
          We got similar instructions from our attorney. It all went well but we never gave the cc companies or banks phone numbers at work or family. We gave them our home number and cell numbers. They never called anyone else in an effort to contact us. Google Voice would have helped.

A fresh start also includes fewer calls and a relief that you can answer it.
          Lawyer - $3000
          Filing fee - $299
          Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

Google Voice makes it so that we barely even notice. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

It was October 2010 when I filed, but I didn't know about Google Voice. I also didn't have permission to refer phone calls to my attorney, so I usually just let my answering machine pick up. My brother, was the only relative my creditors knew about, and he knew what was going on with me. :-)

Comment

Our attorney advised us to answer them and direct them to his office. He said it's the one time in your life where you can say "call my attorney!" I always answered but on the rare occasion that I couldn't get to the phone, they would call relentlessly about 5 times an HOUR. I didn't like that......so i explained I was filing for BK and gave them my attorney's number and they said "Ok thanks best of luck to you". After I told them we were filing BK none of them ever called me back again.

Comment

No doubt Google Voice!!!

Comment

Thanks guys. We plan on filing in the next few weeks so hopefully it won't get too out of hand. So far we have missed one payment on 3 cards (Due Aug 15). No calls yet, but I expect them to happen soon. Any idea when they will start to call?

Comment

Originally posted by daveinIL View Post
                      For almost two years we went the "ignore them" route. I can tell you that method gets pretty stressful, and the freedom to answer strange phone calls was one of the biggest reliefs after our BK.

Dunno why, but that last part struck me funny. The freedom to answer strange phone calls, LOL

Several years ago, I transferred my main number to a prepaid phone, and have not registered any other phone numbers with the companies I deal with, so I'm lucky that way.

I had intended to avoid most of the phone calls by being almost current with everything up to filing, but my attorney's laziness made that impossible. So I've been about 60 days late with everything now, and have all these calls from 5 different creditors appearing on the phone (whose ringer is off), and I've created contact names to go with the numbers, so I'll know exactly who's calling, but I have not yet talked to any creditor.

I do pick up the voice mails, and always delete any that begin with "We/I need you to call..." before I listen to the rest, as that language bothers me. However, I'm always tempted to return the calls made by a very nice and polite Citi recording that begins with, "we understand how busy you are..." but so far have resisted the temptation.

jodie, they won't call you until the end of the billing period, at least. I got my first phone call just a few days after that on one of my credit cards when I missed my first payment ever, and it was just a recorded reminder about my payment.

So far, just not answering works for me, but I've always been able to resist strange phone calls.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X