Finding a home when you own a "vicious breed"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding a home when you own a "vicious breed"

Has anyone out there ever had any experience in trying to rent a house when you own a Rottweiler, or other type of big dog that makes the naughty list? Any advice or stories would be appreciated!
    Last edited by ld2366eh; 08-24-2012, 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling error

No personal experience - but these days there are support groups for everything. See if you can find something for your breed of dog, and see if they have any suggestions? IN general - private renters will be easier to work with, on a case by case basis.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

I don't have personal experience either. Just a suggestion. If your Rottweiler is as sweet and well behaved as every Rottweiler I've met, bring him/her with you when you look at houses so the property manager or owner can see that the dog isn't going to be a problem.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thank you! State Farm doesn't discriminate in my state. I wonder if my umbrella policy would cover it. Probably wouldn't matter if someone wanted to sue, they'd sue everyone. It's a shame. My dog is a big baby.

Comment

This is a huge problem for many landlords and tenants alike. By the dog being on the "naughty list", it places the landlord in a potentially problematic situation with his/her insurance provider.

If you do find one that is willing to take your "baby", YOU need to be the one to make any necessary arrangements to insure that safety of the situation, and doing so at your expense. That in itself will help with the landlord situation.

If you're renting an apartment, it should be a no-go for any landlord, however in a single family residence, perhaps you could have a nice chain link fence installed (with landlord approval of course). You're in a bad situation with this dog.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I guess it's back to figuring out how in the heck we are going to keep this house! Thank goodness we have some time to figure it out...

Comment

Update - I spoke about this issue to my attorney last week, and he thinks if we agree to "throw a few hundred more" to a potential landlord every month for rent, then the dog issue might just go away. We are really underwater on our house - it really doesn't make any sense to stay in it. I'm going to cross my fingers, save up money by not paying my mortgage and offer it up to my landlord partially as a security deposit for pets and also extra each month like my attorney suggested. The dogs really are harmless, and we are responsible dog owners. We'll take whatever steps are necessary to keep everyone safe. Trust me, I have a 3 year old and a newborn in the house. If I was concerned about my dogs, I wouldn't own them.

Comment

Dunno if it will work for you, but my daughter had her Pit re purposed as a Bull dog/Retriever mix, by her veterinarian. Since it was a rescue dog without paperwork, there was a bit of room for some degree of plausible deny-ability. It worked for her, but the landlord must never have seen a Pit Bull before, or really didn't care after he saw the "official" opinion.

Don't know how you might redefine a Rottweiler, though.

Comment

We have a Great Dane and AmStaff/boxer mix too. It'll be difficult, I'm sure, but where there is a will, there's a way! My attorney says "money talks". I guess we'll see!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X