Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Pro Per Filing Being Planned.

Hello,

I had been studying the prospect of BK 7 since more than a year ago, but was told by legal aid that I had nothing to protect (SS income exempted). She thought I could fend off lawsuits from debt collectors by sending them the right letters explaining my situation. She said if anyone tried to sue, then legal aid would help me with the filing.

Well, I have been sued, and then legal aid said I should just do nothing and let them take a judgment because I'm collection-proof anyway. They couldn't help with the defense because it's an original creditor and that's a tough fight.

I was served with the summons and complaint in January 2012, and have been defending against the lawsuit, and right now the case is set for arbitration as soon as an arbitrator takes the case (the first one was unable to serve). And at this point, without going into details, I'm more than a little burned out.

So it's time to file a BK7, and I have resumed my previous research. I've done quite a bit of reading on the forum, once again, and here's a question for which I haven't found an answer. I have to request my credit reports from annualcreditreport.com (so that it's free), and I have the impression that I will need hard copies of these reports in order to file BK7. It's possible to get the reports online but maybe that won't work for BK7?

Well, my question is about the request form that I need to mail out. At the bottom it says "Shade here if, for security reasons, you want your credit report to include no more than the last four digits of your Social Security Number." Will it be a problem if I opt for only the last four digits? Will the BK court care? Do they even look at the credit report hard copies?

I hope someone has met this situation before. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this matter. It's truly appreciated.

You will only need your credit report to know the creditors to list and associated addresses. I've not heard of a trustee or anyone else asking to see them. Online reports should work fine and def only last four of your ss.

Comment

You can save the credit reports as PDF's, to your computer, and print them out if you wish. I opted for the last 4 SS digits and had no problem.

Comment

df04527 is correct. The credit reports are for your reference only. There is no requirement that you get your credit reports before BK, but it's a good idea to get them so you don't miss any creditors. You can print the electronic reports. You can also save them to your own hardrive for future reference.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Thanks loads for the answers! I think I was confusing BK matters with litigation stuff. YAY! It's much easier to get the credit reports online, and faster, too. So that's what I'll do.

Comment

Could I ask a few more questions?

1) Do I have to list closed bank accts and their acct numbers and final balance? (I didn't hang on to these records).
            2) Do I include my 1995 lease agreement? We're still in the same place and the Rent Board in my city considers this lease to be in effect, even it we're already going month-to-month.
            3) Since I'm in a lawsuit, do I list the court in the creditor matrix for information only? I believe this would be Schedule F?
            4) We sold a car and bought a car recently. Do we have to show the papers, or do we just provide the sale prices? My husband didn't keep receipts.

I appreciate any information that might help. Thanks!

Comment

Hello rta. I am certain you will find peace and great info on this forum. I have a question, if you have time for an answer, it will be appreciated. You mention a Rent Board in your city, what is the function of a Rent Board?

Comment

There's rent control here, and the Rent Ordinance is being administered by the Rent Board. Rent increase rates are announced every year, and complaints about violations are brought to them. They do a lot of things, including explaining the rules and regulations.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X