How are Credit Unions when you file Chapter 7 on their cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are Credit Unions when you file Chapter 7 on their cards

Basically wanting to know how bad the calls are going to be from Credit Unions when I default & file on their credit cards. Mainly worried about NFCU & CCCU. Not past due yet.

How long do I have until they start calling and how many calls will I probably get in the months before I file? How long do they wait to sue?

Do they ever show up at the 341 or file to deny the discharge?

Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) is going to eat you for lunch. Most CUs will also eat you for lunch! They are member-owned and they take defaults very seriously. NFCU will start to drain your deposit accounts if you default (even just pay late). If you have demand deposit accounts (DDA) at NFCU or any credit union, you should really start considering moving those DDAs to a neutral non-credit union and change any direct deposits.

It's hard to tell if they'll send someone to the 341 Meeting. If it's a local CU, then they may show up if there is a car involved. Otherwise, most creditors don't show as it's a waste of time, unless they are documenting the condition of property (such as a car).

You didn't hear this from me!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Only credit cards with them, no actual bank account or car loans with them.

Do I need to change banks to somewhere new so they don't have that information on file from the previous payments? In other words if I don't make a payment are they going to pull it themself?

How soon & how bad is is going to get with them? Will they start calling at day 1 or will it take them a while? Same with letters?

Comment

I have paid my auto loan 5 days late "once" and never received a call. I always pay on the day due with a draft from another bank. I do not think that they are allowed to pull money from a different bank, because that would not be what's called a "set off". (A "set off" is a right of a creditor to offset a debt with other money that you have on deposit with them.)

So, I don't know when they'll start bothering you.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred2020 View Post
          Only credit cards with them, no actual bank account or car loans with them.

Do I need to change banks to somewhere new so they don't have that information on file from the previous payments? In other words if I don't make a payment are they going to pull it themself?

How soon & how bad is is going to get with them? Will they start calling at day 1 or will it take them a while? Same with letters?
          If you are more than 30 days late, NFCU will pull it from your checking or savings account. You say you don't have any accounts with them but you must have at least a share savings account in order to have a credit card with them. Open new accounts that are not affiliated with any of your creditors and begin moving your money there. Do not set up any automatic payments from the new account. Just pay with check or money orders. NFCU was our biggest creditor. We had 2 credit cards, our first and second mortgage and a line of credit with them. 30 days after we missed our first credit card payment, they pulled the money from our checking account. They called throughout the day starting at about 8 or 8:30 am. We never answered the phone.

Best wishes,
          The Bajan
          Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
          Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

I had a credit card account with FMFCU that I included in my bankruptcy, plus had a bank account with them but they didn't do anything to my account. And of course if you file for Chpt 7 that debt is washed out, they can't do anything to you at all, cannot TOUCH your bank account at that point.

And all the time I was late/defaulted they didn't do anything themselves as far as calling or withdrawing any money, but I believe "their" card was "serviced" via "cardholder services" or some such agency who yeah, probably called me 3-4 times a day, as did all my defaulted cards. I had about 30 calls a day from so many of 'em I could not keep any of them straight. Was not pleasant but you "get used" to leaving the phone off and deleting every voicemail after awhile. Declaring BK was such a relief, all the calls stopped...

Good luck.
            Well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X