Chapter 7 vehicle payment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 vehicle payment question

Hi all - I am brand new to the forum. I am retaining an attorney on Friday to file Chapter 7, although she said there's a chance I may have to convert to 13. I have an unusual situation with my car...I actually drive my boyfriends old Land Rover. I pay him $300 a month to drive it.

As I don't actually own a car, I can't claim that as an expense for the means test, but I do have to pay to use it, so I would like to list that expense somewhere.

Where would I potentially count that expense? And how likely is the trustee to frown upon using my boyfriends car to get around? During the consult, my attorney indicated she thought a trustee might say something about this, but I would think this would be an issue only if it looks like I'm hiding assets. However, I've never owned that car, so I would think it would be pretty clear that I'm not hiding anything.

Thoughts? I know this is more a question for my attorney, but as I said, she's not officially retained yet, and I'm stressing out about it in the meantime.

I agree this is a good question for your attorney. The only thing I can think of is to put the title in your name with a promasary note to boyfriend. But that could complicate your BK at least the timing but at least it would reflect the apparent informal relationship.

BTW: if possible interview more than one attorney. Most will give you a one hour review at no cost. Best of luck.
    Lawyer - $3000
    Filing fee - $299
    Fresh Start - Priceless

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X