Need a new car prior to filing - lease vs loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new car prior to filing - lease vs loan

I currently drive my fiances old SUV, and pay him $300 a month. The car is paid for, so I basically just pay for use.

I kinda hate the car, because it is super unreliable. Ive been looking into purchasing a vehicle that i can count on. I just retained an attorney to file a 7, but forgot to ask her if leasing vs. purchasing with a loan would be better, all else being equal. During my consult, she did say (as did other attorneys I spoke with) that buying a car now would be best before my credit absolutely tanks.

Is there any real difference in the eyes of the trustee?

They really don't make a difference in the bankruptcy concept. The lease would typically be cheaper (a lower monthly payment). The lease vs. buy is always a question of what you prefer and how often you change cars.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Since you're looking for a vehicle "that you can count on" it sounds as if you're more of a practical person looking for reliable transportation, than a car-nut who is always wanting the newest model. Therefore, I strongly suggest buying a reliable car (toyota and honda are very dependable) that will last you years after it is paid off. My Toyota Camry (that I bought brand-new) is 10 years old and has $190k miles on it and has never needed a major repair--just regular maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, tuneups, etc.) *knock on wood* No, it's not the newest model, but it's reliable and has never failed to get me from point A to point B, and it's a pretty comfy family car as well. I, personally, LOVE not having a car payment. Just MHO.

However, if I'm wrong, and you are a car enthusiast who is going to trade in your car every couple of years so that you always have the newest and brightest, then leasing may be for you.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Remember when ever you do file bk, you are "stuck" with either lease or purchase. I personally would never lease as they get much more money out of you in the long run. A good used car are around if you look enough.

My choice is a Jetta TDI diesel. You cannot beat the mileage average of 40, and the reliability of a diesel with a "tiptronic automatic trans". Mine has 230K on it without a major break down. Also seems a paid for car gets better mileage. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I would not recommend leasing, as the insurance is much higher due to maximum coverage requirements. Please check that out.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X