top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I spend money on this before I file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I spend money on this before I file?

Filing soon. Just got tax return, and I'm about to move my family out of my parents house. I know I can spend cash on the rent and security deposits and stuff but can I use it to buy a washer and dryer, and other household goods? What SHOULDN'T I spend it on? Thanks!

Don't spend it on anything you will still have when you file BK and won't be able to exempt. Don't give it away or spend it on gifts. Don't use it to pay back money you owe to anybody. (ETA: you could pay secured creditors)

Looks like Ohio exemptions include: "(3) household goods, furnishings, appliances, books, animals, musical instruments, firearms, hunting and fishing equipment and crops up to $525 per item." So, a reasonable washer and dryer shouldn't be a problem. Remember, as soon as you bring them home and use them, they aren't worth what you paid, but don't go crazy with top of the line appliances that cost $1,000 each.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

What are "house hold goods" considered? Also, I can use it in moderation of course, to buy some furniture?

Comment

We see used washers and dryers all the time advertised in our local paper and in our local thrift stores. They usually are priced around $150.00 or so. for each unit. Around here, the washer will die before the dryer, simply from use, and the fact that we have 'hard' water.

Household goods, are exactly that: things like your washer and dryer; a stove; refrigerator; and furniture. As LITR suggested, don't go overboard on your furniture. You can find some very nice quality furniture at your local thrifts, or used furniture stores, for a fraction of what you would pay at a retail store selling 'new' stuff.

Good luck to you!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X