top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do if you have a serious Medical Crisis after you have filed BK 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

health cost:

recent bill we rec'd....PET SCAN: 39,729.22 ( i really want to know where the 22 cents comes from )

Medicare paid (this is on the bill swear...) $289.00 ....now if your a "self" pay that 39k most likely would have been 70k. it's terrible.

most states have something like "familycare" programs based on income.

remember....you AID the poor and CARE for the elderly....so medicaid is when you cannot afford it and meet the requirements, medicare is when you turn 65....it's the in between that is a real problem and usually you can speak to a social worker in the hospital and see what types of programs are available to help you.
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

thank you so much for your story, that really was touching and helpful. Prayers and healing thoughts to you. And thank you for another possible solution! That was the direction I was hoping for. I have always been self employed and i do have ind insurance, however in just the last 12 months, it has gone up 40%! I am now paying almost $800/m just for my BCBS and that is with a $2000 ded and oop. this is before they warn us for sticker shock on the ACA implementation to come.
      I have seen first hand what one medical crisis can do even to those who have ins, as there is always deductable and pop. and at least they had the BK card to still drop so that it terrifies me to think how bad it could be after BK without that card.

I did not mean to be disrespectful in my questions. As my grandfather used to say, if you don't like the answers your getting ask better questions lol I am trying to ask better questions in the direction of ground tested solutions.

so here is the list i have so far. I hope they are helpful to all in our situation.

1) build a health savings account to cover the deductable and out of pocket if you have insurance.
      2) go on medicaid
      3) go to the emergency room
      4) negotiate with the hospitals and drs.
      5) negotiate with the drug companies

Any other solutions any one has found?

Comment

i hear you, my son who is gainfully employed was just telling me he contributes over $900 monthly towards his health insurance and they have another baby on the way. i was floored.

we were very fortunate most of our lives, one of worked for the state and had excellent insurance. also as an incentive for an early out they offered money and insurance for the rest of your life, but come to find out it was a million max. we ran through that the first major serious issue. that's one of the factors of why we had to file bk. at the time of our filing we owed a bit of 200k for medical expenses.

this past year i'm certain the costs have well exceeded a million dollars, however, two things helped us. first my dh who has been so ill became mediCARE eligible and secondly, our BCBS can no longer "cap" the limit as a result of obamacare, so everyone can say what they want, but we have seen immediate changes in our insurance that no longer caps the limits and or pre existing conditions.

let's go to a different situation. our daughter moved to another state she did make excellent money, however she was a contract employee and her husband a teacher couldn't find a job the first year. now, even though prior to their move i thought they did fairly well financially, however, when i asked her about their health insurance she said no we can't afford it. BUT you make good money, she said not good enough and she was able to get family care solely based on their combined income. she was covered via her work, but to cover the rest of the family was close to 1500 a month!! she couldn't do it so she applied for the family care, she said every three months she would have to send their financials in to the state they had a newborn and and 18 month so it was hard.

thankfully now, he got a teaching job, not paying well, but excellent insurance and she finally got a great job, but on the books. apparently, it's a big think in NC to have executive positions as contractors, it would have NOT been legal up north, but one can't fight it.

my point in explaining all this is that most states have programs for lower income families or individuals, you will have to seek them out. if you get medicaid or a family care type program you don't have to worry about negotiation with hospitals, doctors or drug companies.

again, it's good to plan ahead, but don't worry yourself about this. it is what it is and you can only deal with it, as it hits your plate. one thing at a time. you'll find a way, there is always a way.
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your story. and especially for your warm welcoming tone.

Here is the updated solution list, I will add more to it as others offer their experience, strength, hope, and solutions.

so here is the list i have so far. I hope they are helpful to all in our situation.

1) build a health savings account to cover the deductable and out of pocket if you have insurance.
          2) go on medicaid
          6) see if your state has a program for low income individuals or family care.

Any other solutions any one has found? Keep 'em coming! ; )

Comment

Steve Brill was on tv the other night talking about his article in Time Magazine (note to self, pick up issue). Lengthy investigation into health care costs and what he found was stunning. Absolutely no rhyme or reason to costs, which are set by the "Charge Master"- sounds like an comic book arch-nemesis. And while the actual providers receive less and less, the CEO's (just like our bankster pals) get richer and richer.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Yes. I read that article. Frightening. This a for profit broken health care system that is run by a health care industrial complex that spends TWICE as much in lobbying as the Oil and gas industry. Its a rigged game. That being said, what can we do to protect, and take care of our selves if we encounter a medical crisis after BK. Hence this list.

2) go on medicaid
              6) see if your state has a program for low income individuals or family care.

Any other practical solutions any one has found? They are appreciated. Keep 'em coming! ; )

Comment

Your increase has nothing to do with the ACA. Your just being ripped off. Quit feeding the beast.

Originally posted by slvnomore View Post
                thank you so much for your story, that really was touching and helpful. Prayers and healing thoughts to you. And thank you for another possible solution! That was the direction I was hoping for. I have always been self employed and i do have ind insurance, however in just the last 12 months, it has gone up 40%! I am now paying almost $800/m just for my BCBS and that is with a $2000 ded and oop. this is before they warn us for sticker shock on the ACA implementation to come.
                I have seen first hand what one medical crisis can do even to those who have ins, as there is always deductable and pop. and at least they had the BK card to still drop so that it terrifies me to think how bad it could be after BK without that card.

I did not mean to be disrespectful in my questions. As my grandfather used to say, if you don't like the answers your getting ask better questions lol I am trying to ask better questions in the direction of ground tested solutions.

2) go on medicaid

Any other solutions any one has found?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X