Going to have to file Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to have to file Chapter 7

So my girlfriend, make that ex-girlfriend, has screwed me over financially. I invested in her and her business, building up too much credit card debt ($42,000), and she totally drove it into the ground. I also spent $50,000 of my retirement money, all I had, on her business. I basically have no money left. I can't blame her for everything, as I was a willing participant, but now I realize she is never going to pay me back, even though she now has money. I am also now unemployed, so I have no hope of paying anything back, at least at the present time. I also have a couple of car leases that are in my name that I can't hope to pay on anymore. I was a chump, and now I'm trying to get my financial house in order.

I don't know much about Chapter 7. I currently live in Texas, but am considering moving back to Oklahoma to be with my family. Can I file in any state, or do I have to stay in Texas?

I am moving out of the house we share. I need to get my name off of the lease. Since she is a liar and a cheat, I have a fear she won't voluntarily take me off. Would filing bankruptcy get me out of it?

Please excuse my ignorance, and thanks ahead of time for any help.

Marko, welcome to the forum. I feel for you--placing your trust in someone, only to be dashed and broke financially. Many here share that with you.

Read all the stickies regarding Ch7 and other related subjects as well. You will learn a lot, and knowledge gives you power.

Some are 'horror stories', but please understand that those are NOT the normal situation for people filing BK. 99% file, and do just fine. We members tend to have issues with our attorneys, or trustees, or other situations, and have assembled here to share our stories (and misery in some cases). Please do not allow them to scare you.

Good wishes to you!
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

You file in the state where you spent the majority of the previous 180 days. If, you have no assets to protect it likely won't matter where you file.
      Don't worry about the lease. It's dischargeable in bk.
      Most bk lawyers will give free or lowcost initial consultations. Speak with a few and get all of your options explained.

Comment

Texas has much better exemptions, so you might want to stay there until your BK is finished.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X