Fee waiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fee waiver

I have found out that legal aid in my area does not provide and help with consumer debt problems due to budget constraints. So I would have to pay a lawyer, no I can't file by myself, to file for me. Does anyone have experience with the bankruptcy fee waiver? The bankruptcy fee waiver form seems to focus on the fact that if you are paying a lawyer that this is a factor if you receive the fee waiver. I'm on social security disability so I'm on a limited income and not paying the $306 fee ruled be a big savings.

I have no idea about a fee waiver, maybe an expert can chime in. However, the peace of mind and fresh start is worth every penny. Best of luck to you.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

You would need to consult your Local Rules for your court to determine whether a fee waiver would be granted if you are represented. Since all fee waivers must be approved by the Court, there will be some factors considered. The most important factor is whether you are below the 150% poverty designation. Some Districts do consider that those filing by and through an attorney are not necessarily "needing" a waiver. In my District in Florida, some rulings have shown that ability to pay an attorney is dispositive in determining whether the fee should NOT be waived.

You will only know by just requesting the waiver by completing the form in its entirety. Do you understand that the fee can be paid in installments?
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X