top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contacted by Creditor's Attorney Nearly 2 years after discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contacted by Creditor's Attorney Nearly 2 years after discharge?

Hi,

This forum was a wealth of information and support for me when I was going through bankruptcy, and I'm hoping I can get some direction/advice again. I initially filed a chapter 13 in 2010, converted to a chapter 7 in 2011, and was granted a chapter 7 discharge in July 2011. No creditors showed up at any of the hearings. I have received a letter from a law firm saying they are representing one of my creditors. They said they were informed of my discharge, and want to know if I will be surrendering the collateral. The creditor is Best Buy. I'm pretty sure this is for a computer I purchased from them in 2009. I've placed a call in to the attorney who represented me, but he no longer works for the firm, so I'm waiting on another attorney to call me back. Is there a time limit for them to ask for collateral back? It's been nearly 2 years since I was discharged, and the computer crashed a long time ago, so I no longer even have it. Anyone have anything similar happen, and if so, how did you handle it, and what happened?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Dj1994 View Post
    Hi,

This forum was a wealth of information and support for me when I was going through bankruptcy, and I'm hoping I can get some direction/advice again. I initially filed a chapter 13 in 2010, converted to a chapter 7 in 2011, and was granted a chapter 7 discharge in July 2011. No creditors showed up at any of the hearings. I have received a letter from a law firm saying they are representing one of my creditors. They said they were informed of my discharge, and want to know if I will be surrendering the collateral. The creditor is Best Buy. I'm pretty sure this is for a computer I purchased from them in 2009. I've placed a call in to the attorney who represented me, but he no longer works for the firm, so I'm waiting on another attorney to call me back. Is there a time limit for them to ask for collateral back? It's been nearly 2 years since I was discharged, and the computer crashed a long time ago, so I no longer even have it. Anyone have anything similar happen, and if so, how did you handle it, and what happened?

Thanks!
    This sounds like Bass and Associates. Do a search for them on this site.
    Ignore them and they'll eventually go away and bother somebody else.

Comment

I bet the attorney for Best Buy is Bass & Associates. We hear about them all the time. Best Buy is the one creditor other than auto lenders and mortgage companies known for contacting debtors saying they want their collateral. They are hoping you will buy the collateral from them. They really do not want a 4 year old computer. Even if you had it and it was still operating, it would be worthless.

If you ignore it, they will probably go away. You could also call the attorney and tell them that you no longer have the computer because it crashed and you got rid of it. I'd just ignore them.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
        This sounds like Bass and Associates. Do a search for them on this site.
        Ignore them and they'll eventually go away and bother somebody else.
        LOL! See! All of the regulars know about Best Buy and Bass and Associates.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yes it is Bass and Associates. I was just wondering what I should do since I don't have it anymore. I'd have thought if they wanted it they wouldn't have waited nearly 2 years to come get it.

Comment

LOL - thanks again guys for the quick responses! I feel much better now, and will wait to hear back from the attorney's office.

Comment

I'd probably go to Freecycle and ask if anyone has a broken or old computer they don't want and then tell B&A to come get the broken computer. I bet they just want for you to pay them money and I'm sure some do.

Comment

Originally posted by bk2009 View Post
                I'd probably go to Freecycle and ask if anyone has a broken or old computer they don't want and then tell B&A to come get the broken computer. I bet they just want for you to pay them money and I'm sure some do.
                I like how you think. But, I don't think it's even worth that litle bit of effort.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X