top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were you able to keep any of your zero balance credit cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were you able to keep any of your zero balance credit cards?

We quit using our credit cards years ago, however didn't file for BK until recently. We had a couple of larger banks sue us so that was what motivated us to take the step to filing. All the creditors we owe to are listed on our filing and we already had our 341 meeting and now are waiting for a discharge.

Out of curiosity, I called one of my dept store cards and it's still active at the same credit limit. Another card recently sent me a letter saying my low credit rating was going to reduce my credit line, but nothing was mentioned about the bk.

Once my case is discharged, I am wondering about testing out these two cards to see if they work. Like I said, we've been on the cash system for a long time, but since I have these cards, it would be a good way to rebuild my credit, if possible because I'm going to need to apply for a car loan.

What's the general consenses on the basic Nordstrom card and bk? Also, what about Macy's?

Thanks.

Hi, If you filed already then you will be getting all kinds of offers for car loans, do not worry about that and as the bankruptcy is about the lowest you can go on the credit pole you are already there. If you have conditioned your self to using cash (yeah for you!!!) do not even care about those cards at this point. Do not even start that road trip again. You will be fine...

Comment

Do not count on any credit card or account surviving.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I was going to say that, even if you don't include it, odds are they will be closed one they get world of it.

Comment

I believe that the credit card companies are more sophisticated than people think. I think they do not have a set policy but it is based on the debtors specific situation. I filed Chapter 13 a year ago and in my state we are allowed credit up to $1500, immediately Macy's and American Express lowered my credit to that amount and are continually sending information trying to get me to use them. They are also pulling my credit report so I am sure they know my situation

Comment

DD had a Vicky Secret card survive, long forgotten about, then found and used a few months after discharge. They didn't close it out which was surprising.

Comment

From what I've heard/read of any cards that surviving, Macy's seems to come up most often.

Comment

Don't count on any cards surviving. But, sometimes they do. My discover card showed as being open on my credit reports for the first two years of my Chap 13. But, it now shows that it's closed. My American Express card that had no balance is still open. They even still send me notices of revisions to the account agreement. We'll see if it's still open when I am discharged in 2 years.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I have 3 accounts still showing open on my CR. A really old Cap 1 card, that I haven't used in a kazillion years, and don't even have a card for, my Dell account, and a Yard Card, that I bought my mower on and paid off 3 years ago. Not sure how I would use any of that, but hey, they're still open supposedly! lol

Comment

Two of my $0-Balance cards survived. A secured New Millennium CC and my MidAmerica VISA account.
                    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I've got a couple zero balance credit cards that I'm really curious if they will survive. They've been noticed by the clerks but so far, nothing from them and I can still access the accounts electronically.
                      Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

I had a CFNA card {Firestone} survive bk. It had a zero balance when I filed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
                          From what I've heard/read of any cards that surviving, Macy's seems to come up most often.
                          Yep - Macy's was the only one, but lowered limit to $100.

Comment

We only had two cards, both of which were named in our BK filing. So we duly discharged both cards.

About a week or so after we filed, 'Hub went and purchased an item at Radio Shack. He also purchased an item at Lowe's. These both were created as 'new debt' and new credit. We planned to pay both items off, when we got paid at the end of the month. Once we got paid, we went to each store, and sought to pay the debt in full. Neither one had a record. At all. Even when I produced the receipt in each case, we were told "there is no such record".

We learned after those encounters, that both Lowe's and Radio Shack credit situations were owned by the parent company that we had filed BK against.

Once the 'Suggestion of Bankruptcy' paperwork hit the home company, they cancelled anything and everything that was connected with our original two cards.

Even though we had opened up the two new accounts AFTER we filed, they were closed because of the BK. So the idiots lost about $700.00 with Radio Shack, and about $1000.00 with Lowe's.

Oh well; we tried our best to pay these debts....
                            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I had 2 store credit cards survive. It really depends on who owns the account. For example, if you included a Chase credit card in your BK and your Macy's card was owned by Chase (check the back of the card to verify) then they would close that Macy's card. Both my Victoria's Secret and Eddie Bauer cards made it. Also, if you didn't have a balance, didn't include them in the BK and aren't owned by one of the same companies as you filed against then the chances of them surviving are greater. It's possible that they may send you new terms, but if you don't hear anything and are curious you can always contact the number on the back of your card after discharge to verify if the account is still open.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X