No announcement yet.

Gambling CC abuse? Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha...I still like it. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thank you!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Well Said
        Originally posted by keepmine View Post
        You need to get in the real world. Your comment in your initial post about buying things ahead of bk because you wouldn't be able to get them afterwards is just ridiculous.
        You really believe you couldn't buy shoes and food and TP post bk?
        I'd agree with the otherss. $6k plus, the $3700 you mentioned earlier could well be a gamechanger. Let your lawyer know exactly what you did. Cut up the cards, get help for the gambling addiction and figure out if post bk, you can support yourself without credit.

Comment

I do not see any reason for you to file for bankruptcy now. The most important thing is to get help and STOP GAMBLING. The worst that your creditors could do to you now is to file a lawsuit, and they can't even legally do that until your account is officially in default (which is 30 days from when the first missed payment was due) and they are very unlikely to sue so soon. Most likely, you could quit paying all your debts today (not that I am recommending that) and you probably won't be sued for at least 6 months to a year--or longer. FYI, I quit paying all my credit cards, which were close to maxed-out anyways, and I did not get sued until 3 and a half years later.

My advice is to get help for your gambling addiction, make 1 to 3 minimum payments on the cards, and then quit paying ALL your unsecured debts "cold turkey" after that. Then wait another 3 to 4 months before you actually file, to eliminate any appearance of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewomen View Post
            Ok I got to thinking today about the $6,000.00. In addition car repairs and huge Vet bill.
            As a BK lawyer, the first thing that jumps out at me as a potential land-mine is this... its going to sound cruel, but how long before Fido or Fluffy has another big vet bill. How old is the pet. Is it worth it? My hunting dog is 12 years old and starting to circle the drain, when the time comes, he'll have to be put down because a huge vet bill on an animal that is going to live maybe another 2 years and not all that comfortably is not worth the expense... not to mention at some point it become cruel keeping dying animals alive.

Originally posted by Firewomen View Post
            I will also look up to see what others did for their gambling problem. I hope I am not fooling myself but my mind set right now is if this CC dept could be earased I would NEVER gamble again. What am I going to do with that time, RIDE my bike, get in better shape. I realize I do have a long road ahead, I hope and pray I can keep my head up and above water!! I will keep you all posted, thank you again!
            Find a meeting. Go to the meeting. Work the system. Become a friend of Bill Wilson. Please for the love of God get some help before you file BK, because if you get a BK discharge and then rack up more gambling debts, it is eight years for another discharge and you probably won't survive the wait.

This is speaking as an addict (of other things), good luck and God Bless.
            I am a Pennsylvania Eastern and Middle District Bankruptcy, FDCPA, FCRA and Foreclosure Defense attorney, information I post is based on experience in these districts. It is not legal counsel, consider it friendly counsel.

Comment

Thank you for all your kind and hard words. I will be putting this pet down, tomorrow. She has a massive tumor the the vet bill was determining this diaganois. She is the once in a life time dog, we have been through so much togeather. work the system? Bill wilson??

Comment

Interesting things, I have never missed any of my payments, nor behind, late yes. Yes I need help with the gambling, am working on that after I bury my dog.

Comment

Sorry about your dog, many of us here understand letting go of your best friend. I have 3 buried out back, 2 old age and 1 cancer. Spent some dollars too on diagnosis of dog 3. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

So sorry about your doggy. So much love from them but they leave such pawprints on our hearts when they go, though.
                    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

My little avatar over there is starting to show and feel her age (10). She is extremely allergic to fleas, and we are having a bumper crop this year. As long as I can keep her comfortable and reasonably healthy, I will do so. When it becomes too much financially and physically for both of us, I will have to have her put down, so I feel for you. We have five other cats buried in our yard, one of them being this cat's predecessor, who dropped dead of a heart attack at age 18.

{{{{HUGGS}}}} for you and your doggy.
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 05-30-2013, 03:19 PM.
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Firewomen, so sorry to read of your once-in-a-lifetime dog to whom you'll say goodbye tomorrow. It is so so hard to do. I wish your pooch godspeed.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dog. From the purchases you mentioned, most of those sound like basic living expenses which are fine - clothing, groceries, tp, etc. I thought I saw a cash advance listed (forgive me if I incorrectly read that, but it was a long thread so I skimmed over parts due to time) and that would be the one I'd be most concerned about. If that's the case then it would be best to put some time between that and your filing. Using your credit cards for basic expenses isn't going to get you into credit card fraud if they are legitimate expenses - gas for your car, clothing, food, etc. It's the extravagant things that will be questioned. If you spent $3000 on designer clothes then that might be a problem, but I wouldn't stress too much over the basics.

Comment

Sorry about your dog.

I had a decision to make this week. My dog had pyometra and we took her in Monday. She needed surgery or would die. I think it was a sign of some sort that my Fed tax refund was coming the next day (what part the state didn't grab--but that's a different thread). The surgery was more difficult than they expected but it looks like she will be OK. If she had been sick a month earlier, I don't know if I would have been able to figure a way to save her without really really being in a tough spot financially. She's 11 but acts like a puppy..She's already looking and acting way better than before the surgery.

I know it is tough to put an animal down. I had a cat for 15 years, and weeped like a baby for hours after putting her down. I was prepared to do the same with my pup if that's what the vet thought would be right..

As far as the rest--take care of the gambling. Find a way to do it with support. maybe a 12 step program is for you, maybe its not. I had a gambling problem--not as severe as yours. Had a stretch years ago..where I lost way more than I could afford. And many times where I should have lost alot more. My issue was my obsessive personality. I never do anything part way. If I gamble or drink, that's a bad thing. So I refocused my efforts on sports. Golfing, and running. Worked for me. My point is, everyone is different--don't expect the first thing you try to be the 'cure' and if it doesn't work..don't give up.

Comment

I'm so sorry about your dog. I know exactly how you are feeling. My shih-tzu Daisy (10 yrs. old) had to have breast cancer surgery a couple of months ago. The surgery was $600....money I never would have had if I hadn't filed BK a little over a year ago. She's not out of the woods yet...she gets regular check-ups to watch for recurrence. But if it does come back, I may be making the same decision that you are. I promised her that I would never allow her to suffer.
                              She's my baby.

I am so sorry. {{HUGS}}

DM

Comment

Plan your bankruptcy, stop paying the cards. it will take a year or more for them to get to the point when they will sue you. then right before that happens, file. by that time it will be so long from when you made charges there wont be any questions. by that time they will all have been sold to Junk Debt Buyers anyway
                                Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X