Future Concerns post filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Concerns post filing

Hello all, After a long road leading up to the understanding of my selection of chapter selection, I am about to file a ch. 7, mostly on short term cc debt. However I have a potential scenario that I don't completely understand the repercussions of and would like some feedback from those have either lived or guided other though a slimier situation.

I want to preface this with a comment in that my situation is somewhat complex, and has several background layers, so I'm going to try to keep this as concise as I can, and that I'm not being evasive.

Hypothetical scenario concern; I file ch.7, get through it as expected, and I loose my income (or the like), and I lose everything, business, home, cars...So, now I have filed, and cannot refile for a few to 8 years. Besides the obvious, what sort of concerns or problems might I not see coming until I can refile against the creditors I chose to keep alive from the first filing? The creditors look like and SBA loan, auto loans, mortgages on personal property.

Thank You
    Mike

The concerns are pretty obvious, if you reaffirm anything, and then default your creditors can sue you and if they win, get a judgment and then take whatever steps your state allows a judgment creditor to collect.
    Don't keep any creditors alive post bk.
    You need to read that thread that's a sticky titled, "why reaffirming a mortgage is a bad idea".

Comment

Your worries are exactly why you shouldn't reafirm.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
        The concerns are pretty obvious, if you reaffirm anything, and then default your creditors can sue you and if they win, get a judgment and then take whatever steps your state allows a judgment creditor to collect.
        Don't keep any creditors alive post bk.
        You need to read that thread that's a sticky titled, "why reaffirming a mortgage is a bad idea".
        The article mentioned by keepmine is located here: http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...-very-bad-idea
        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I actually did reaffirm a loan recently. Although I didn't understand the reaching affects when signing, it was something I had to do to modify a loan, and without said modification I would be in a worse position.

About the reaffirmation;

Scenario a:

I reaffirm a loan, file ch.7, lose income post discharge and then sued for loan I reaffirmed and defaulted on. At the time of suite I have enough income to be at means test standards.

What happens to lawsuit, won't most judges dismiss it, or will it be like a ghost in the closet until that day I hit the lottery?

Scenario b:

I reaffirm a loan, file ch.7, lose income post discharge and then sued for loan I reaffirmed and defaulted on. At the time of suite I have enough income to be at means test standards. same as above, except...Now I just refile in 8 years.

Although less than ideal, wont that problem go away?

M

Comment

I don't understand your logic. Why would a judge dismiss a lawsuit just because you have no money? You reaffirmed the loan and are legally responsible for it if you default.

That is what reaffirmation means. It means a judge doesn't care or give even a second thought to the fact that you filed a BK. It's irrelevant.
            Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

What exactly have you done?
              In yout first post, you state you are about to file Chapter 7. Now, you talk about reaffirming a loan. You can't reaffirm unless, you have actually filed.
              Honestly, I read a few of your old posts and you seem like the sort htat really likes to overthink the situation.
              Just file the bk and be done with it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X