I Am Absolutely Floored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am Absolutely Floored

So another thread here got me to thinking about how bad my FICO must've tanked with my Chapter 7, which was just discharged last month.

A little history first...

My FICO has always been 800+ and that started to drop in February 2008 after I lost a six figure income and subsequently made half of what I was accustom to - trying to manage all my bills on half of my prior 120K/year income.

Long story short, I always had faith, hoped to get employed back in my field, yadda yadda. When the savings ran out, my credit cards became my second job. Five years later, I racked up over 120K in cc debt.

When it was clear my employment situation wasn't going to change any time soon, I filed Chapter 7 BK 5/13. Directly before doing so, I ran my FICO and it was 420.

Due to another thread, tonight I decided to run all three of my credit reports and scores post BK (not even one month since discharge) and I was totally surprised to see ALL of my accounts have already been updated to show included in BK and my BK is even listed as public record on my credit reports.

The biggest surprise??

MY CREDIT SCORES CONSIDERABLY JUMPED UP AS FOLLOWS:

EQ: 693
    EX: 679
    TR: 690

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????????? I never thought I'd see this day.

Thoughts??!??!?!

And yes, everything is updated accordingly on my credit bureaus - all three of them.
    Chapter 7 filed: 5/12/13 (over median - no asset) | 341 Hearing: 6/12/13 (Bass & Associates appeared for Best Buy) | Report of No Distribution: 6/12/13 | Discharged 8/18/13 | Case Closed: 8/18/13

You are doing SOMETHING right. My opinion is this: "keep your mouth shut, and enjoy the results."
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

That's great Stevie! Those are some nice scores this soon out!! I wish you the best on your fresh start!!

Comment

Those are VERY good scores! I guess you kept your accounts current until you filed? That would be my only explanation...
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
          Those are VERY good scores! I guess you kept your accounts current until you filed? That would be my only explanation...
          No, not at all. I quit paying them in September 2012. Right before I filed BK, my FICO was 420.
          Chapter 7 filed: 5/12/13 (over median - no asset) | 341 Hearing: 6/12/13 (Bass & Associates appeared for Best Buy) | Report of No Distribution: 6/12/13 | Discharged 8/18/13 | Case Closed: 8/18/13

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            You are doing SOMETHING right. My opinion is this: "keep your mouth shut, and enjoy the results."
            I don't know about that but I'm super happy about it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
              That's great Stevie! Those are some nice scores this soon out!! I wish you the best on your fresh start!!
              Thanks a lot. This forum has been so informative and helpful. And the people - unbelievably supportive.

Comment

Your credit scores are an estimate of your risk of default. Now that you are debt free and can't file a Chap 7 for 8 years, you are a better credit risk than when you were delinquent on $120K in credit card debt. Your credit report screamed bankruptcy risk.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2012 View Post
                  No, not at all. I quit paying them in September 2012. Right before I filed BK, my FICO was 420.
                  Wow, I didn't expect that at all.
                  Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                  FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                  FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                    Your credit scores are an estimate of your risk of default. Now that you are debt free and can't file a Chap 7 for 8 years, you are a better credit risk than when you were delinquent on $120K in credit card debt. Your credit report screamed bankruptcy risk.
                    Makes sense!

Comment

It is very odd....I am 64 years old and have had credit for at least 40 years. I just completed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy in December 2012 and my credit history was listed as 4 years and 6 months (my Chapter 13 payment plan was exactly 4 years and 6 months) at discharge. The 35 and 1/2 years previous to my bankruptcy do not seem to matter at all as far as my credit scores are concerned. My scores hover in the 640-660 range.
                      I suppose that because you were a high earner with excellent credit prior to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that you could not avoid due to circumstances beyond your control, your history speaks well with respect to your creditworthiness. And with your debt being discharged, lenders will be glad to make secured loans to you. But I will bet that if you applied for an unsecured personal loan, you would be turned down.

Comment

Well, we didn't ask, but are those actual Fico scores from MyFico? Where did you purchase them?

Comment

Originally posted by Pjmax View Post
                          Well, we didn't ask, but are those actual Fico scores from MyFico? Where did you purchase them?
                          No I am registered with Equifax so I got the three in one that incudes the credit report and score for each corresponding bureau. It's $20 cheaper than MyFico.com.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
                            It is very odd....I am 64 years old and have had credit for at least 40 years. I just completed a Chapter 13 bankruptcy in December 2012 and my credit history was listed as 4 years and 6 months (my Chapter 13 payment plan was exactly 4 years and 6 months) at discharge. The 35 and 1/2 years previous to my bankruptcy do not seem to matter at all as far as my credit scores are concerned. My scores hover in the 640-660 range.
                            I suppose that because you were a high earner with excellent credit prior to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy that you could not avoid due to circumstances beyond your control, your history speaks well with respect to your creditworthiness. And with your debt being discharged, lenders will be glad to make secured loans to you. But I will bet that if you applied for an unsecured personal loan, you would be turned down.
                            I have no desire to get an unsecured loan. I did already get a secured credit card through my credit union, today in fact. They approved me for 1K but I only wanted $250, regardless. I'm just using the card to reestablish credit.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2012 View Post
                              No I am registered with Equifax so I got the three in one that incudes the credit report and score for each corresponding bureau. It's $20 cheaper than MyFico.com.
                              I assume you realize they are not Fico scores? They are still darn good for fakos, just don't want you to be too upset if/when your actual scores turn out to be different.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X